Cypher AlgoRhythm Solo DAC vs iPod Classic DAC
Aug 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jtaylor991

1000+ Head-Fier
I think I might get an iPod Classic soon (5th gen for rockbox or 7th gen, probably 7th gen and ALAC). I have read about the AlgoRhythm Solo and watched the Head-Fi TV episode about it. I have read that many iPod Classics (depending on gen) have Wolfson DACs...and so does the Cypher AlgoRythm Solo. What I want to know is how they compare. Are they the same DAC and/or does the Classic perform as well as the Cypher's? Would an LOD or the Solo be better (if one had good IEMs or cans to pair, which I don't as of yet)?

P.S. I couldn't find this topic in search and I am guessing many other head-fi "noobs" (or just any Head-Fiers in general) are wondering the same thing.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 3
If they used the same Wolfson DAC there'd be no reason for the Solo to exist. 

Another thing to consider to price...An LOD can be had for ~20 USD where the Solo is a few hundred. 

After owning and selling my Solo I can say that it does improve the sound over just an LOD, but I didn't find it to be significant enough for me to keep. 

It comes down to whether you want the best possible sound (period) or the best possible sound for the price. 

Quote:
I think I might get an iPod Classic soon (5th gen for rockbox or 7th gen, probably 7th gen and ALAC). I have read about the AlgoRhythm Solo and watched the Head-Fi TV episode about it. I have read that many iPod Classics (depending on gen) have Wolfson DACs...and so does the Cypher AlgoRythm Solo. What I want to know is how they compare. Are they the same DAC and/or does the Classic perform as well as the Cypher's? Would an LOD or the Solo be better (if one had good IEMs or cans to pair, which I don't as of yet)?

P.S. I couldn't find this topic in search and I am guessing many other head-fi "noobs" (or just any Head-Fiers in general) are wondering the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back