Cyclone PR1 Pro strain relief
Feb 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hybrid35

Head-Fier
I bought a pair of these awhile ago and I can't help but love them. My only concern are the strain reliefs still... I feel like the wire connection is crimped inside the housing to the actual hardware

I was thinking of somehow modding these headphones so that they hold up better. Using only heatshrink won't work very well as there's no stem for any grip to hold on to.

But does anyone think it's possible that you superglue (ya i know this is ugly) the rubber wire to the plastic housing so that the strain is put onto the housing instead of the wire? And THEN (if you can fit heatshrink around the buds) heatshrink over the superglue and wire.

Opinions, suggestions, new ideas??

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Haven't tried to mod an earphone like that before but I can illustrate the problem for any enterprising DIYers. The Cyclone has no strain relief whatsoever. The cord is simply clamped between the two vertical halves of the shell (likely tied in a knot on the inside).

cyclonepr1proside.jpg

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Black silicone sealant or glue. get the 100% silcone stuff. The inside knot is all that stops most phones from pulling out as it's just as good as other methods. Super Glue won't do much as it just takes some give away which could make the cable more likely to split. Build a cone from silicone and extend it to the base of the body and taper over the wire that extends out from it if you're concerned about wire cracking at the exit of the phone. Careful if you do this as it's quite sticky and can make a mess.may be easier to use some extra and cut off the surplus after it sets.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Superglue will eventually dry up and crack, providing little relief if any. You need something more or less flexible. The silicone putty is probably a much better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back