cyclists at head-fi?
May 11, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 40
I generally ride the rodes / dirt roads up around the mountains in Santa Barbara. I used to do the same thing, only in Vermont. Since I am mostly on the road, (and going uphill) but with the occasional off-road ride, I went with a hardtail. I have pretty fast XC tires on it, so it fairs ok on the road. It is a 2001 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam.

May 11, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 40
Funny, I just got back from a ride.
Frame is a KHS Alite 4000 (hardtail) with all XT gear except RaceFace cranks, FSA BB, Titec bars and seatpost, RaceFace stem, Manitou X-Vert Air '01, Cane Creek headset, and Eggbeaters. Wheels are XT hubs (32 hole) and Mavic F519 rims built by me (toot toot. They're my first set so I'm overly proud of myself). I should be riding right now but it's about to thunderstorm...

May 11, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 40
My cycling addiction is so bad that I'm now an indentured servant at the local bike shop...ok I'm not exactly a servant but I do work for them, which is why I now own 4 bikes. The picture's a bit out of date and don't show my latest upgrades.

bikes.JPG

A restickered Norco Rampage (853 frame XT/XTR, XT disc brakes, etc.) as my fun bike (right)

A Oryx 4000s (OXII steel frame, XT/XTR, etc.) as my lightweight racing bike, but I don't race anymore so I use it as my loaner bike to get friends into biking (middle)

A Trek 7000 (rigid fork, Deore parts, slick tires) as my commuting bike (not pictured)

An old Raleigh mountain bike that I use for grocery runs and errands. (left)

I'm mostly a mountain biker but I also do some road rides on my commuting bike when the trails are too wet.

May 11, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 40
Since we're on the minutiae of bikes and bits... I recently took delivery of my first XC-specific frame in 8 years, I think. A Commencal VIP FS. I'll be building it over the next week and hopefully persuading myself to go for longer rides.
The lightest of my hardtails probably aren't under 35lbs so there's a lot excessive poundage having to be lugged about which doesn't make sense for commutes and rides elsewhere.
I've also reconfigured one of my Santa Cruz Bullits for lighter urban use. Being able to use my DH bikes in anger again will be some way off, as even a 4 foot to flat causes my man breasts and spare tyre (and we aren't talking the rubber type) to wobble alarmingly, and the nose of the bike to drop like a stone due to my arms of jelly.

May 12, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 40
LeMond Maillot Jaune (Trek OCLV/Campy Record, Vento wheels - the year before Rolf & Shimano came in)
Trek 9800 mtn bike

Carbon is the best thing to happen to cycling since the derailleur.

May 12, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 40
My bike:

Frame: Custom-Built 18" Sandvik Special Metals Ti 3Al-2.5V
Fork: Marzocchi Z.5 Series Bomber, 130mm (5") Coil Suspension
Wheelset: Velocity Deep-V Aeroheat rims with DT-Swiss/Hug-I hubset and Ti-Spokes, Salsa Ti Skewers
Headset: Chris King NoThreadset Headset
Drivetrain: Shimano XTR (Crankset, Cassette, Front and Rear Derailleurs, Shifters, Cabling)
Pedals: Time A.T.A.C. Alium
Brakeset: Shimano XTR V-Brakes/Levers
Handlebar: Easton EC70 Black Carbon Flat Bar
Bar Ends: LP Composites Black Carbon "Braids"
Stem: Thomson Elite 110mm, 5° rise
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 330mm
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel Ti

I think that's all the important ones..
smily_headphones1.gif
Funny thing is.. I've never gone mountain biking before.. :p

May 12, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
I also found out that a great MTB track has sprung up in the desert about 4 miles from me (by road, 3 overland).

Perfect. You can take the bike over land to the trail. Forget driving there..
tongue.gif

May 12, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
Road: 3Rensho Super Record Export, from 1984, repainted by CyclArt, with classic Campagnolo SR Gruppo and a few other classic or trick parts. Wonderful hand-built lugged frame.

Impressive!

I have chondramalacia in both knees, so haven't riddin since '95. My last bike was a limited ed. Ritchey road, fillet brazed by the Man himself--Campy Record (ergo power) of course. It was a great older type design with relatively long chains stays, and believe it or not, toe/ wheel overlap. It had Mavic ceramic walled rims with 14/15 butted spoked laced 4 cross. Yeah, I'm really old school. I hate aero bars.

I'll tell ya, that bike could hold a line beautifully in a 45mph curve, as could my two previous bikes, a Colnago and my beloved Cinelli Super Corsa. The former C-record equiped, and the latter with Super Record. I bought the Cinelli before Cino sold out to the Columbo family.

My first serious bike was a Raliegh Super Course, and after that a custom Paramount, both equiped with Nuevo Record.

If my knees were to miraculously heal, I would instantly get on the waiting list for a lugged silver brazed Reynolds steel frame by Richard Sachs.

There is still a Peperoni forked 7-cogged Cannondale MTB just sitting here...

May 12, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #25 of 40
I have a bunch of late 80s, early 90s road parts I was collecting for an awesome road framed commuter. You know, stuff like new-in-the-box Campy alum. toe clips (med), a Mavic crankset, Suntour Suberbe Pro pedals etc, etc.

Please PM if anyone is interested. It is not a complete gruppo, but is a very, very special set of components, all new, all reasonably priced.

May 12, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 40
I don't wear much lycra, but I do ride!

1999 Schwinn Moab 2
LX front and rear
Avid brakes
Truvativ Stylo Team crankset
LX hubs/Sun Ryhno Lite Rims
Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 (rear) IRC Mythos XC 2.1 (front)
Race Face seatpost
Kore Lite Stem
Titec Hellbent risers
SDG Bell-Air saddle
Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb forks (woohoo - 65mm of travel!!
tongue.gif
)

In addition to saving up for a decent source, I am also hoping to put together a nice Santa Cruz Heckler or a Hammerhead 100x. I think I need a payrise
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
I don't wear much lycra, but I do ride!

In addition to saving up for a decent source, I am also hoping to put together a nice Santa Cruz Heckler or a Hammerhead 100x. I think I need a payrise
rolleyes.gif

Lycra? I've got quite a bit... And yet, all I have is a MTB
wink.gif

But yeah, I'm also trying to put together/buy a nice Pinarello... While I'm on this Ti trip, Litespeed would be nice, but expensive.. and.. hrm.. yeah.
biggrin.gif
I need a payraise and more hours
wink.gif

May 12, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 40
Road Bike: 1990 Cannondale w/ road race frame, Shimano 105.
This has been a great bike. Only recently have I had to start replacing components.

MTB: 1992 Cannondale Delta V 900 - front suspension Shimano XT. Another great bike used to see a lot of single-track action. The proprietary built in front suspension used to be problematic (air/oil insert), but was replaced w/ elastomer insert around 1995. Upgraded wheels. Lots of accessories to keep out the swamp grunge and prevent chain-suck. My wife considers this "her" bike. Bought her a Raleigh MTB about 5 years ago that has seen less than 150 miles. She likes to ride the cannondale because "it pedals itself".

I recently found an abandonned Specialized MTB behind in the weeds behind my house. The frame was cracked at the rear hanger, a quick spot weld by a buddy fixed that. I trued up the rims and she's fine. Butt-ugly, but a lot of fun to ride. This bike is my beach-bomber.

May 12, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 40
I ride a Cannondale F500... it's a lower-end model from the mountain bike line. I ride mainly on roads, but it's nice having the ruggedness/durability/low-speed gearing (27-speed) in my hilly, potholed suburban area. It's a nice bike, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back