Cyclist Head-fi'ers
Sep 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ThreadStarter

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow cycling head-fi'ers

When I cycle fast, I experience this slight noise from the wind passing and entering the "lobby" of the ear. Even with IEMs i can hear it, which im guessing is because the wind noise is being created so close to my ear canals.

Wearing a hoodie is one sollution, but it creates another cyclists problem, it complicates looking left and right and especially backwards to safely navigate traffic.

A possible sollution I thought of is using customs, since they sorta fill up that lobby area of the ear barring wind from entering it, any custom users noticed if this lowers the noise?

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 6
I choose not to wear IEMS while cycling. Not even earbuds. Especially if I'm in traffic I like to be fully aware of all that is around me. Hearing vehicles switch lanes and coming up behind me has saved me many a rude surprise.

Doesn't help with your issue, but your solution is plausible. Keep your head up, the rubber down and be safe.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 6
There are some products out there that can mount to your helmet strap and covers the ears. It acts like a wind screen. I have not tried them but they sound interesting.

I am an avid mountain biker and while on the trail I use my headphones regularly. While on the road if i use them I will pull out my traffic facing earbud, and I find that does a good job of helping me notice traffic. Also I keep my volume low to hear oncoming bikers and other environmental sounds.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, I have the same dilemma. It's not so bad in the mornings; it's just my commute in the evening that sucks. I just turn it up a little more; I plan on testing some Complys and seeing if that helps a bit.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I choose not to wear IEMS while cycling. Not even earbuds. Especially if I'm in traffic I like to be fully aware of all that is around me. Hearing vehicles switch lanes and coming up behind me has saved me many a rude surprise.

Doesn't help with your issue, but your solution is plausible. Keep your head up, the rubber down and be safe.

agreed, in city biking, no IEMs for me. The only thing you notice when a car door is about to be flung open in front of you is the lock clicking. On isolated roads with no traffic, triple flanges on UM2 or shures cut down wind noise pretty effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back