cx300 v. MDR-EX81 v. RP-HJE70
Feb 28, 2006 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jonandabby

New Head-Fier
I have an Ipod Video and am going to buy new earphones. Here are my 3 finalists for the following reasons:

1) I don't want to spend $100+ on a set of earbuds - I am going to be taking these on a train every day, and if I break them I don't want to be too aggravated. And with the train environment, the more expensive sound won't be audible anyway.

2) The reviews on this site and head-fi.org seem positive.

As far as I can tell, the Sony can be had for about $30, the Senns can be had for $50 or so, and the Panasonic can be had for $90.

Kindly weigh in on the options. Is it worth more than 2x to 3x as much for the Panasonics? If not, where do you experts come down on the two remaining choices?

Thanks!

PS I am also considering the Super.fi 3, although I don't know much about them. Should I? They can be had around $70 as well.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 12
NO ONE has any ideas? Assume I'm dropping the Sony and replacing it with the Panasonic. In reading this and other forums, it looks like the order is:

1) Panasonic RP-HJE70
2) Sennheiser cx300
3) Super.fi 3
4) Panasonic RP-HJE50

Is this about right?

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 12
The super.fi 3 has a fixed armature drivers compared to the others which have normal dynamic drivers. They probably have a very different sound signiture to the others. The Etymotic ER6i definitely sounds very different.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 12
The HJE-50 Suck, dont know about the rest. I would tend to try the Sennheisers if I had to choose, but nothing solid to back up this recomendation.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I loved my HJE50. But recently, someone hit them off my ears and they hit the floor pretty hard so one side died. Besides that, they sould great for just $20.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Between those 3, get the CX300.

Their sound is better tha the Sony Ex's, which I've owned and the Pannys have gotten no love on Head-fi, which has to make you think for $90 that they're not worth it.

If you're not a overly critical listener and you're using them for your commute, the CX300 will sound good right out of the box.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoblaze01
I loved my HJE50. But recently, someone hit them off my ears and they hit the floor pretty hard so one side died. Besides that, they sould great for just $20.

The HJE50 was my first canalphone and I thought it sounded really good...until I got my CX300's yesterday. There is literally no comparison between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back