CX300 to Shure E500 or ER4P
Jan 25, 2007 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

verticalforce

Head-Fier
How much of an improvement can I expect if I am going to upgrade from CX300 to Shure E500 or ER4P?. (haven't decided yet between these two or the new SE530)

Both of this IEM costs 6 times as much, probably more than what I paid for my ebay CX300 and for a poor student, I would be expecting drastic improvement for the IEM to be worthy of their price tag.

In one of the forum that I browsed, somebody claimed that the CX300 is the best hybrid IEM, beating even the Shure E4C. Infact, he ranked apple stock buds and $10 buds that you can find at walmart... higher than the E4C....
blink.gif

How is this possible? Are consumers that stupid because it's far too preposterous for me to believe in...

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Each to their own but I suggest that forum poster stop stuffing his ears with cotton wool before putting IEMs in...

Seriously though, I suspect he didn't get the right seal or couldn't find tips that suited him. Its all about subjectivity, rather than stupidity, but if you really find iBuds better than the Shure E4 then on the plus side you will save a lot of money

As to your question, I'll let someone who actually owns one or both of the IEMs answer

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by verticalforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of an improvement can I expect if I am going to upgrade from CX300 to Shure E500 or ER4P?. (haven't decided yet between these two or the new SE530)

Both of this IEM costs 6 times as much, probably more than what I paid for my ebay CX300 and for a poor student, I would be expecting drastic improvement for the IEM to be worthy of their price tag.

In one of the forum that I browsed, somebody claimed that the CX300 is the best hybrid IEM, beating even the Shure E4C. Infact, he ranked apple stock buds and $10 buds that you can find at walmart... higher than the E4C....
blink.gif

How is this possible? Are consumers that stupid because it's far too preposterous for me to believe in...

Okay, there is no way the stock iBuds can beat the E4Cs. That being said, the E500 sounded incredible when I demoed them at an aiport store a few months ago. However, I would wait for the SE530 to come out because I don't like the short cord and extension cables on the E500.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 16
I own all three earphones you mentioned, in fact, I've owned or still own pretty much every worthwhile IEM in the market today. You'll definately see a marked improvement in sound over the cx300's (I found them to be a bit too bright and un-natural sounding), whether you go with the e500's or the etymotics. However, the base is severly lacking in the er-4ps...Don't get me wrong, it's there, but you have to listen for it. This is ok for classical music and acoustic pieces, but if you're a fan of rock, electronic, or hip-hop, these are not the phones for you. The shure's on the other hand deliver a beautifully detailed and deep low range. The high end is not as good as the er4p's because of a slight roll-off in the highest frequencies, but its darn close. In the end, I recommend the e500's, but if you're on a budget (you mentioned you were a poor student), the er4p's can be had for half the price of the e500's. I bought my er4's new for $155.00 at Erwin Computers, the shure's will cost you around $350.

http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000141lh4.jpg

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by verticalforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.n2xe.com/Buds.html

The guy has some broad knowledge about how the brain works and all that stuff, I doubt he hasn't got the correct seal....

Sounds to me like you might be right. A troll on a mission to mess with peoples heads, with the knowledge of how to do it. You saw the degrading comments he produced to the so called "hate mail", and the never ending super subjective opinions demanding to be accepted as truth. He was clearly enjoying himself, as trolls do in that situation. They get a power rush from it or something. Who knows. I'm sure he does not like his E4s, but was clearly exaggerating quite a bit about how bad they are, even to him. All to provoke audiophiles and set it all in motion.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 16
im in the market for the er4p, are they a total no no for rock and metal?
i love the grado signature (im in the uk so sr-80 are all i have heard cause i own em) so etymotic are wrong for me?

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 16
Or, he is just flat out trolling.... he even says this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by themoronwithablog
In my opinion, the SR80 sounds better (with an iPod) and they’re a whole bunch less expensive.

yet he puts the 325 above the sr80 anyway......

Just..... ignore him and hope no one else falls for his utterly stupid claims.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by smegger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im in the market for the er4p, are they a total no no for rock and metal?
i love the grado signature (im in the uk so sr-80 are all i have heard cause i own em) so etymotic are wrong for me?

Depends on what you want from them. If you want the bass boom/slam, they aren't that good, but if you want the visceral speed and edginess of guitar attack, they are great! I've once owned the Grado SR325s and preferred the Etys for rock and metal.

I actually feel ER4P have a bit too much midbass, but fairly balanced overall. I A/B'ed the ER4Ps against some floor standing speakers (Klipschs and Totems, though neither is much of bass monster) and I thought the Etys definitely had significantly more bass than them. But everybody hears differently and maybe there always is the issue of fit, so YMMV.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodydoorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own all three earphones you mentioned, in fact, I've owned or still own pretty much every worthwhile IEM in the market today. You'll definately see a marked improvement in sound over the cx300's (I found them to be a bit too bright and un-natural sounding), whether you go with the e500's or the etymotics. However, the base is severly lacking in the er-4ps...Don't get me wrong, it's there, but you have to listen for it. This is ok for classical music and acoustic pieces, but if you're a fan of rock, electronic, or hip-hop, these are not the phones for you. The shure's on the other hand deliver a beautifully detailed and deep low range. The high end is not as good as the er4p's because of a slight roll-off in the highest frequencies, but its darn close. In the end, I recommend the e500's, but if you're on a budget (you mentioned you were a poor student), the er4p's can be had for half the price of the e500's. I bought my er4's new for $155.00 at Erwin Computers, the shure's will cost you around $350.

http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000141lh4.jpg

i have heard all three and owned the cx300 for months before i upgraded. bar none, with a good seal, i have never heard so much bass before. it was not bad either. they also were more responsive in the treble area than i expected from such a phone. then, when i tried the um2/e500 i was most disappointed by the lack of treble, where high hats and other treble would just cut off out of nowhere.

that said, the bass overpowered everything else too much for the cx300 and it has more of a closed/plasticy sound where you can tell that there is no dampening material inbetween the driver and the enclosure. it was shrill, but not bad and for the price, i think a bargain.

then, i tried the er4s which is supposed to have less bass than the er4p. the poster above states they lack bass, which i think is compeletely wrong. with an improper seal, there is no bass to be had, at all. but the same is true for the e500 and the um2 which are supposed to prodigiously be full of it. they are easier to maintain and get a good seal however.

if you get a good seal with the er4 series, there is bass aplenty, but they are less comfortable at the same bass level, so i think that many people do not work hard enough to get that amazing seal. the bass is low, deep and fast. i cannot say that the um2 or e500 produce as fast of bass, so for electronic/trance, they were more disappointing. for jazz and classical, where i want to relax however, i found the warmer sound of both um2/e500 to be more pleasing. the er4 series is not for the timid. i think owning the dt880 for so long, the er4 is much like the sound i am accustomed to.

however, i cannot understand even at all how anyone can say bass is lacking. with the best seal with the um2 (bass-aplenty iem), there is only a little more bass than the er4. the e500? i just remember thinking... meh. er4 is my choice overall, though it does not as easily fit into any genre as the e500 and um2. i am not a rock fan, so i cannot report on it. but it will liven up your armin van buuren, faithless, the streets, depeche mode and bring out detailed bass (not detailed like full headphones but damn good) from the music that needs the details and quick response,,, vote er4!

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 16
I did achieve a proper seal with the er4p's and I still found them to lack in the base department. I know this because I use the same tips on all three of my iems, ety triflanges. I ram them down so tight that when I pull them out I feel them pop from the pressure. I really enjoy the sound of my er4p's for their long reach in the high end, but the way it handles low end frequencies never impressed me the way that my e500's and my westones have. It just lacks the visceral punch that the e500's and um2's are able to deliver.

By the way, check these cool er4p mods from Xin out:
http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

Has anyone tried any of them? I may end up doing one to see if the low end improves any for me.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4P is like double or triple the price of CX300 not 6 times

Not in the UK, and not on the ebay.

Bought the CX300 for 15 pounds including shipping on ebay. (genuine, I've listened and checked intensively)

Minimum eBay prices including shipping:

ER4P: 120-140 pounds

E500: 190 - 230 pounds

E500 retail price in the UK is about 400 pounds I think. Welcome to rip-off Britain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back