CX300, Super.fi 3, EP-630, or MDR-EX90LP
Oct 2, 2006 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

muskie

New Head-Fier
I decided to try out in-ear headphones; V6 is too bulky, uncomfortable, and warm, and doesn't give me sufficient isolation for the my subway commute.

I am looking to spend <$100, and the phones in the above list appear to be the popular choices in this forum. And like the way I chose to go with V6 (which I do like for the home use), I am hoping that this community can assist me in selecting one.

What I care about the most about 1) durability (I don't treat things very carefully), 2) comfort (I am new to this in-ear thing), and 3) isolation (both directions - I do prefer to live amicably with my fellow commuters).

I am a scavenger when it comes to music; I listen to hiphop, acid jazz, female vocal, to classical.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 13
I have the EP-630s, I don't recommend them. I also have the Shure E2C and I use small foamies with them, they have much more depth, detail, energy, and better balance compared to the EP-630s, also no microphonics problem as they have a much thicker cable. Also check out Altec Lansing IM716 and Etymotic ER6i.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 13
I would say you gotta try the Ep-630's for the price. See my thread on them. I cant believe how good the sound for the price. Not to mention if you dont like them your not out too much $

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 13
Well I have been listening to them for awhile now and I can definately say I prefer the Ep630's to the Super.fi3's First off the ep630's are quite abit more comfy and more low profile. I can see myself laying down with the ep630's vs with the UE's there is no way I would because If I rolled over they might jam my eardrum lol. I just wish I would have purchased these awhile ago without spending money on the ue 3's. Another plus is on isertion you can insert them in to where they sound good with decent bass but you can also go a little farther with them and they get a tighter seal and the bass is
basshead.gif
.Im just hoping im gona like the UM1's I just ordered lol.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 13
EX90LP has very little seal. Definitely worse than the V6 in terms of seal.

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 13
That's not good.. V6's seal is not bad... But it is not very comfortable for commute.

Eggo that I used to have was more comfortable. Despite somewhat veiled sound, it was much for fun; somehow it seemed to project the sound much better than V6 does. With V6, I like the clarity, but it feels that I have to make it lounder to push the sound, which make it more fatiguing... Well, I went off in tangent.

I do look to get as good a seal as V6 at the minimum. So U guess EX90LP is out.

Reading much of the discussions around EP-630 and CX300 on this forum, it sounds like EP-630 is a good one to give a shot.

Any other recoommendations, especially those that are not listed?

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Because of the hybrid earbud/IEM design of the EX90 there isn't much isolation (but I think that they sound the best of the Sony IEMs). A traditional IEM with a good fit would provide a better seal. Sennheiser CX-300 may be worth a look.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 13
I have CX300 and it has very good SQ for price I paid. Gives very good isolation too.

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 13
I have the CX300 and the EX90LP as well as the E3C.

I use the EX90LP the most because of comfort, stay-in-the-ear ability, sound quality, and lower isolation. With the other IEMs, I cannot hear my environment or family members. The EX90LP does not need isolation for bass output because of the very large driver. That also makes for less irritation to the ear canal because the IEM does not have to be jammed into your ear.

I have owned the EX90LP for over a half year and have not seen any cord degradation with 24/7 usage (I sleep to audio).

The CX300 is bassy but not as much as the cheap Sony EX71s. However, the CX300 is a good buy if you can get them for < $40. BTW, the CX300 cord material seems very durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back