CX300 owners: Is mine a fake?
Feb 10, 2007 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

suba3333

100+ Head-Fier
I just received the CX300. Where I live the Sennheiser distributor does not carry this model so I had to buy on eBay from a seller who does ship internationally for a reasonable charge. Of course I did not buy one of those $1.50 fakes shipped from China. I paid good money for mine and I tried to check out the seller before I ordered, he even had an original/fake comparison in his listing which seemed quite reassuring at the time. They came in, to my eyes, the original packaging, they got the L-shaped plug.

The reason I am asking is that the bass on my pair seems quite weak and from all the reviews on here the CX300 is famed for its bass response. Perhaps they need some burn in? Anyway, can someone who has the genuine article confirm these for me please.

1. The metal filter grid seems to be inserted/pressed into the body 1-2mm deep. With a magnifying glass I can see some scratch marks on the inside wall.
2. Looking through the filter I see a largish center hole surrounded by 8 smaller (partly covered by the tube) holes.
3. What is the length of the cable to the split and from there to L and R phones. The cable material has a rubbery feel to it (as opposed to a more smooth/slippery texture)
4. The R printed on the right speaker has at the bottom some runny paint. This is only visible through magnifying glass and I suspect that this is just part of the manufacturing process. After all, these are not hand made $1000 phones.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 18
I would guess that yours are genuine. IMO, the CX300s/EP-630s are overrated in the bass department. Mine sound muffled and sloppy with a total absence of mid-range

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would guess that yours are genuine. IMO, the CX300s/EP-630s are overrated in the bass department. Mine sound muffled and sloppy with a total absence of mid-range

Depends on the source.
My CX300's produces a silk-smooth and deep bass response, which I love.

EP630 on the other hand is another story.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 18
From what you've listed it sounds like they are real. I second the sloppiness of the cx300's mids and base. I was quite unimpressed when I first got em as they sounded too artificial from the sibilance.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 18
I should have mentioned that I am not coming from the crap earbuds, I own ER6i which I can shove pretty deep into my ears so I can get decent bass from them...I was looking for something a bit boomier with a warmer signature. Having read all the reviews on Cx300 as being a super phone in the sub$100 class, so far I am very underwhelmed (hence my concern that these are fakes). I find them very crude compared to the Etys, there's just no comparison.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tequila /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe this will help ?

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?p=101698

I actually bought from the eBay (UK) seller who has THIS fake/original comparison in his listing. It's somewhat reassuring but who says that his "original" used in the pics is the real thing....it could be just a very good fake...

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 18
My CX300's "grill" detached itself while I was cleaning the ear wax and was lost in the process since it was so small. Probably ended up in my ear as well considering that it was jerked out of my ear with such a force.
blink.gif

I paid good money for my CX300 and like yours, it comes with authentic packaging, L shaped plug, rubbery/matte J shapes wires and so on...

Thought it was genuine at first, but I'm not sure anymore. Those chinese have become way too good, it's like trying to differentiate a rolex with a good copy one.

ADDED: Cracked opened my CX300 and there are like 7 holes in the speakers. 6 "big" holes surrounding one "not-so-big" holes.

Doesn't look anything like the authentic or fake inner workings.

I am so pissed off right now. Next time, I'd make sure I'll get something that is not hugely counterfeited. Like Shure E500... lol

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the source.
My CX300's produces a silk-smooth and deep bass response, which I love.

here! here! there's been a fair amount of CX300 bashing and to my ears it just seems unwarranted. yes, different strokes for different folks but the thing that gets me is many complaining about sibilance. i've thrown a lot of sibilant inducing songs at my pair and i've heard 0. nada. don't get me wrong, my Vibes and 220s are certainly better than the Senns - much more refined sound - but for the $29 i paid for mine? couldn't be happier with them.

as for the OP's questions: i agree, it sounds like you got a real pair. perhaps you're having fitting issues and not getting a good seal. IEMs and canalphones can be a long trial and error process to get the right fit. super.fi foamies will fit and someone from the Vibes threads has gotten tri-flanges that he converted to bi-flanges that fit the Vibes and therefore, would fit the CX300s.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but for the $29 i paid for mine? couldn't be happier with them.

Where for $29?

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 18
Hey, I just got a pair of CX300 a while ago. I think I can help you out, I will just measure mine. BTW I think the bass is amazing and very powerful. I didnt have to break them in much and I didnt notice much of a idffernce when i did. Did you try pushing them in farther or choosing the proper size rubber part? You really have to make sure they are stuffed in far to get bass, when you do the bass is magnificant. Ok, I measured them, from the end (not including the plug and the handle of the plug) to the part where it splits... its around 87 cm give or take a couple.

Split to right--- 50 - 52 cm
Split to left--- 15 - 16 cm

Hope that helps

Feb 11, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 18
this is what my friend [Kite7] told me when he had a try with my new version ep630s:

'''
M2 says:
did you think that my ep630s were better than the cx300s you had?
.:zed]- says:
yes lol
M2 says:
cause if it is then the fakes are really good
the fake i had does not sound good without eq
you have to bring the mid and highs up a lot
'''

in sum: although his cx300s he bought over ebay from "pigheadman" were identical to the real ones, he strongly believes that my ep630s were much better.

i think the best bet is to get the ep630s with new version packaging:
http://www.all-net.com.pl/jacza/ep63...i/image005.jpg
until losers come up with fake new packages too..

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Devon, thanks for the measurements...seems about right. Can you also help me on the other points, esp the speaker holes inside the casing and the metal grill.

Your posts lead me to believe that I might have some fit issues, I tried all the different sizes but cannot see how you insert them deeply into the ear canal. As I said I own the Etys and I can shove them deep into the ear without problems. But the design and the rubber sleeves of the CX300 do not appear to be designed that way, these phones look more like earbuds. I can only manage to place them in my ear so that the rubber sleeves sits at the entrance of the ear canal and blocks it that way...much like a door blocks the entrance to a room. They are too short for proper insertion and the cable attachment point is in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back