CX300 or Marshmallows - if they were the same price?
Jan 9, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 14
i can't say anything about the JVCs since i've never tried them. from what i'm reading however, the CX300s are inherently better. i will say this, at first i thought the senns were a bit too colored. i don't mind elevated bass but i felt the highs were getting too overshadowed and some songs were just not sounding right. well just for the hell of it, i hooked them up for 9 hours of pumping out pink noise. i tried them on and holy cow did these things change. they are much more balanced now and actually sound quite good especially considering their price (got mine for $30 new on ebay - no, not a fake). therefore, from what i've read about the JVCs i would have to say the senns are definitely the way to go.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 14
I hate canada. I paid 100$ CAD for my CX300s. Which is like 65£

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 14
OP, help me get a pair?
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't say anything about the JVCs since i've never tried them. from what i'm reading however, the CX300s are inherently better. i will say this, at first i thought the senns were a bit too colored. i don't mind elevated bass but i felt the highs were getting too overshadowed and some songs were just not sounding right. well just for the hell of it, i hooked them up for 9 hours of pumping out pink noise. i tried them on and holy cow did these things change. they are much more balanced now and actually sound quite good especially considering their price (got mine for $30 new on ebay - no, not a fake). therefore, from what i've read about the JVCs i would have to say the senns are definitely the way to go.

everybody is got an opinion...

I own both the CX300 and JVC marshmallows and give the JVC a go more than the CX300. The CX300s have pretty sharp sibilant highs and a one tone bass with a very boring sound. Clean yes, boring as well.

JVC marshmallows are more full sounding without the sibilant and sharp highs. They are very bassy, but when you wear them upside down and push them in your ears, they sound great. They have a Y cord and a gold plug instead of a U cord (CX300) and non-gold plated plug (CX300).

In terms of value, the JVC marshmallow kills the CX300.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own both the CX300 and JVC marshmallows and give the JVC a go more than the CX300. The CX300s have pretty sharp sibilant highs and a one tone bass with a very boring sound. Clean yes, boring as well.

JVC marshmallows are more full sounding without the sibilant and sharp highs. They are very bassy, but when you wear them upside down and push them in your ears, they sound great. They have a Y cord and a gold plug instead of a U cord (CX300) and non-gold plated plug (CX300).

Would your comment on value be the same if they were almost the same price ? In other words are the JVC's a better quality, sounding canal phone than the CX300's (in you opinion - obviously)?

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

this is a good lesson when reading our suggestions. the comments DJGeorgeT made about the CX300s are totally different from mine. to the point it makes it sound like we are listening to two different IEMs altogether.

my point is the best one to judge is yourself. i would recommend you take a look at other threads to see if you can find more of a consensus about these two IEMs rather than the isolated opinions you are getting here on your thread.

by the way, in regards to the cord - since it was mentioned - both the JVCs and the Senns have J cords. the idea is the cord hangs down off center since most people will carry their DAPs off to one side. the CX300s have a much more pronounced J. the idea is to make it easy to drape the cord to the right earpiece behind the neck. some people find J cords annoying. i thought i wouldn't like it but it doesn't bother me. my preference however, is still Y cords - lengths equal from the split to each ear piece.

yes, the plug on the CX300 is not gold plated. gold plated plugs are my preference but it doesn't offer any sonic advantages. it's just that gold plated plugs are less prone to corrosion. the CX300s have a right angle plug which with some set-ups offer an advantage in regards to strain relief.

i stand by my comments on the senns though. after my 9 hour burn-in with pink noise, they became much more balanced with nice extended and elevated bass. i've personally heard no sibilance from these. (guess i couldn't help myself from defending my opinion.
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

by the way, in regards to the cord - since it was mentioned - both the JVCs and the Senns have J cords. the idea is the cord hangs down off center since most people will carry their DAPs off to one side. the CX300s have a much more pronounced J. the idea is to make it easy to drape the cord to the right earpiece behind the neck. some people find J cords annoying. i thought i wouldn't like it but it doesn't bother me. my preference however, is still Y cords - lengths equal from the split to each ear piece.

FYI--Marshmallows have a Y-cord.

Otherwise, I agree. Just pick one. They're both good quality phones at a good price. Personally, I have the Marshmallows and I like them. I bought them because they got good reviews, they were very inexpensive and I wanted to try some IEM's. I haven't tried the CX300's but based on reviews I've read it seems more people consider them a better quality phone. That doesn't necessarily mean they are better but I'd probably give them a shot if the prices were closer together.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. Don't worry so much about it. Pick one, buy it and enjoy it.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Warrior05...do you really have the Marshmallows? The FX33? The pics, and the pair that I bought have a Y shaped cord with a cinch (which IMO is a good idea to reduce tangles in storage). The JVC FX55 appears to have a J-shaped cord (from picures, not real life experience).

Steve

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior05...do you really have the Marshmallows? The FX33? The pics, and the pair that I bought have a Y shaped cord with a cinch (which IMO is a good idea to reduce tangles in storage). The JVC FX55 appears to have a J-shaped cord (from picures, not real life experience).

Steve

warrior has not even heard the FX33

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

this is a good lesson when reading our suggestions. the comments DJGeorgeT made about the CX300s are totally different from mine. to the point it makes it sound like we are listening to two different IEMs altogether.

my point is the best one to judge is yourself. i would recommend you take a look at other threads to see if you can find more of a consensus about these two IEMs rather than the isolated opinions you are getting here on your thread.

yes, the plug on the CX300 is not gold plated. gold plated plugs are my preference but it doesn't offer any sonic advantages. it's just that gold plated plugs are less prone to corrosion. the CX300s have a right angle plug which with some set-ups offer an advantage in regards to strain relief.

i stand by my comments on the senns though. after my 9 hour burn-in with pink noise, they became much more balanced with nice extended and elevated bass. i've personally heard no sibilance from these. (guess i couldn't help myself from defending my opinion.
biggrin.gif
)

1st, you haven't even tried the FX33. How can you have an opinion? If you go back to posts about the CX300 you will read complainst about the CX300 being sibilant or more sibilant than the EP630.

Yes, the CX300 is cleaner and more balanced than the FX33, but I find the FX33 to be darker, bassier, less fatiguing and overall more enjoyable, full sounding and comfortable to wear.

I am for Y cables. Gold-plated plugs are very good in a $20 headphone. The cable on the FX33 is thicker than that of the CX300. Also the FX33 has very low microphonics or transfer of noise from cable to earphone. Better than the CX300.

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

1st, you haven't even tried the FX33. How can you have an opinion? If you go back to posts about the CX300 you will read complainst about the CX300 being sibilant or more sibilant than the EP630.

Yes, the CX300 is cleaner and more balanced than the FX33, but I find the FX33 to be darker, bassier, less fatiguing and overall more enjoyable, full sounding and comfortable to wear.

I am for Y cables. Gold-plated plugs are very good in a $20 headphone. The cable on the FX33 is thicker than that of the CX300. Also the FX33 has very low microphonics or transfer of noise from cable to earphone. Better than the CX300.

if you take a look at both of my posts i have made 0 remarks about the JVC's SQ. as stated in my first post i do not have them and have never even seen them in person.

i made the follow-up remark about sibilance saying that i personally have heard 0 sibilance out of the senns. i didn't mention any comparison.

my mistake with the cord was based - as stated - on a picture. i must have been looking at a different model. my mistake. my apologies. personally, cord orientation shouldn't be a deciding factor but that's me. it may be an important point for the OP. i'm glad you all straightened that out.

the gist of my second post was to encourage the OP to trust their own ears. what you or i say about these should totally be taking with a huge grain of salt since only the OP can be the final judge.

i'm not trying to stir up the pot, people. i just wanted to give props to a set of IEMs i enjoy. that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back