CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #2,281 of 2,420
The roon server with roon player with the mpd-x by playback sounds good, unfortunately the squeeze is not avail on the mpd-x.

Currently using the mpd-x jnto the mpd-8 using p-link and from k50 to mpd-x with aes.

First impressions are wow. But could be just honey moon phase of course. It is 2:41 am right now and I been here since 9pm.

Side note room treatments truly are game changers....I am currently building them as stand alone stands but for now.....
Ever since Steve Plaskin's outstanding MPD-8 review, I've always wanted to hear one - https://darko.audio/2018/07/playback-designs-mpd-8-dream-dac-review/
Nice.
Do you have a link or images of the room treatments you are building? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,282 of 2,420
Oct 29, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #2,283 of 2,420
Nice system,
I am just curious:
Did you compare K50 + MPS-X vs Oladra G4 (both with your MPD-8)?
Thx

Matt
No I did not. I was so blown away with the playback MPD6 (which when I bought it was my first super nice dac) and told myself no way am I spending more on dac in future and I liked the mpd6 so much that I really bought into the playback as a full blown fan boy.

I sold the mpd6 at a loss depsite it being brand new basically, and went to the MPD8 and since the playback dacs work really well via Plink, I decided to go that route.

I do not intend to upgrade my k50, for one, my budget has already been way passed and for two I do not use USB (one of the main benefits of new version having reclocked USB for new K50) and second reason being that I feel since my K50 goes to the MPSX into the MPD8, I feel having an upgraded K50 will yield less of a improved result if had I not owned the MPSX.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #2,284 of 2,420
Ever since Steve Plaskin's outstanding MPD-8 review, I've always wanted to hear one - https://darko.audio/2018/07/playback-designs-mpd-8-dream-dac-review/
Nice.
Do you have a link or images of the room treatments you are building? Thanks.
Rough bad images in recent prior posts the room acoustics are not built up yet. Everything you see on the floor are going to be stacked on top of each other being "free standing" and not needing to attach to walls which works well for me.

The room acoustic panels on the floor will be stacked 3 high and arranged around the room. No time as of now to assemble them, been swamped with new born kid and work.

Attachments

• wx_camera_1698637871412.jpg
    wx_camera_1698637871412.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,285 of 2,420
Rough bad images in recent prior posts the room acoustics are not built up yet. Everything you see on the floor are going to be stacked on top of each other being "free standing" and not needing to attach to walls which works well for me.

The room acoustic panels on the floor will be stacked 3 high and arranged around the room. No time as of now to assemble them, been swamped with new born kid and work.
Nice space!

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,287 of 2,420
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #2,288 of 2,420
+1
@F208Frank
Can you share some info about your rack?
Thx

Matt
lateral audio stand, real engineering goes into them and are somewhat reasonable price wise. The build is out of this world. I got the middle tier one as that was best all around value as it uses solid wood. Im very happy with the company.

i had another brand in the past that was highly rated and have been around a long time called symposium, made in usa and I was not a fan due to how easily it scratched.

I believe lateral is made in europe, I think the UK.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #2,290 of 2,420
It appears to me from the pictures that the ceiling is very low. If this is right does it have influence on the sound?
Thx

Matt
It definitely influences the sound in a negative way. This is pretty much a situation of doing the best with what I have.

My house is too small to have speakers in them. The warehouse space made most sense for my own situation.

You can argue and say that all this work/money isn't even worth it given my circumstances but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #2,291 of 2,420
It definitely influences the sound in a negative way. This is pretty much a situation of doing the best with what I have.

My house is too small to have speakers in them. The warehouse space made most sense for my own situation.

You can argue and say that all this work/money isn't even worth it given my circumstances but it is what it is.
I can imagine that your Fleetwoods are a great choice in your space and sound terrific with the PBDs, well done!

Matt

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #2,292 of 2,420
Last post regarding the room acoustics. Sorry to derail thread a bit but I thought these were really neat, these free standing room acoustic panels. This will be the last post regarding these acoustic panels.

Back to the K50 being awesome, yeah that. Haha.

Attachments

• 20231031_184532.jpg
    20231031_184532.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231031_184546.jpg
    20231031_184546.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #2,293 of 2,420

I have an old SigTech Room Correction device that I did a lot of work with....
It runs on an old Windows OS so I haven't used it in years.
Essentially it delivers an impulse through the system and measures the response at the listening position.
You can correlate both with listening and measurement the effect of ceiling, floor, and side/backwall effects of bass and mid/treble.
Delayed reflections around 5-10mS can show up as a mosquito-like irritation that, when absorbed or diffused will go away.
Just as a data point, I used 4" thick Corning Fiberglass on the ceiling with a 2" space at the ceiling which helped a lot with the midrange and slightly reduced the mid-bass peak/null.

There was an assertion by one of the SigTech support people that high ceilings correlated with best imaging.
I used to have 10' ceilings in a rather large room and now I have 8' ceilings and I would say the front-end has a lot more to do with obtaining better imaging than ceiling height. That is just my opinion/experience. FWIW...

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #2,294 of 2,420
I may have the opportunity to purchase an upgraded CX/EX from a friend of a friend. On the basis of sq only any thoughts on how this combination would compare with the latest K21 ? Thanks in advance for any comments

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,295 of 2,420
I may have the opportunity to purchase an upgraded CX/EX from a friend of a friend. On the basis of sq only any thoughts on how this combination would compare with the latest K21 ?
The latest K21 has one many believe is a better power supply. It also has a USB isolator / re-clocker.

The one advantage the CX/EX has is that it separates the Player from the Server, which reduces noise. I can't say how much that matters relative to the aforementioned benefits of the K21.

I think Mark Cole of Antipodes is a straight shooter. You should run this by him. You can book a consultation: https://antipodes.audio/sales-consultation.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back