CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Dec 7, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #1,456 of 2,535
Hypsos Hybrid Power Supply Listening Observations Powering EtherRegens

iu
iu
iu

Take the A Train Stormy Monday Requiem for Chorus & Orchestra

System Context
I had the Hypsos bypassing the SingXer DDI internal 5V linear power supply as I normally convert USB to IIS to feed into the DAC.
As I previously posted, the Hypsos powering the SingXer SU-2 DDI very notably improved sound quality.
To expedite things, instead of rewiring the SingXer DDI back to its integral LPS to free up the Hypsos, I removed the DDI entirely and opted for USB straight into the DAC which sacrifices image precision, glare reduction and overall refinement. Not ideal. I also feel like I've left everyone short by not providing any absolute conclusiveness....
It is what it is.

The test
At 11.6VDC output [matched to the measured loaded voltage output of the S60] into two series Uptone Audio EtherRegens between CX and EX, I heard more resolution, sound stage space and there was more "light" around the brass instruments, guitars and vocals with the Hypsos compared to the rounder and relatively darker sounding S60. For the EtherRegens, my immediate preference was for the resolution and expanded spaciousness of the Hypsos.

Having upgraded up the line from original DX2 to current CX/EX, I trust Mark Jenkins' ears and his design choices and suspect there was an intended tuning of the S60 for an all - Antipodes environment: powering the S40/S30/S20 for which I have no access to judge.

I went back and forth between all Roon and all Squeeze and I still feel that Squeeze is rolled off and masking the same glares and transient blurs I hear in certain orchestral, soprano voice and dense choir material [whether of my downstream system's doing or not].
After more extended listening, I felt that the more revealing nature of the Hypsos in the context of my system offered the same paradigm I feel between Roon and Squeeze however, the more revealing nature of the Hypsos now over-exposed the faults of my system in a way that after extended listening, created fatigue.
Not knowing [yet] their origin, if these glares can be eliminated, my inclination is towards the presentation of the more revealing Hypsos.
I do know for certain that USB straight into the DAC introduces additional glare.

Varying the Voltage Output
I did vary the voltage from 9V to 12V from the Hypsos into the EtherRegens and heard a correlation to the "light around instruments" as I switched upwards from 9V [darker] to 12V [lighter/more spacious].
As with my personal observations between Roon and Squeeze, I could see the 9V vs 12V EtherRegen debate as coming down to personal preference and system dependence.
I went as high as 13V into the EtherRegens ["safe, but if it toasts the EtherRegen, warranty is void" - per Alex] and felt there was maximum light around instruments at 13V.

I hope my listening observations were useful. I am open to anyone dropping in for a listen if you happen to be in central Connecticut :)

P.S. I found the 4W voltage sensing and SST Noise Spectrum features to be subtle in their effect so I left them disabled most of the time. The Hypsos was left on for several hundred hours powering the DDI before connecting it to the EtherRegens.
Thank you. When I receive my new speakers I Will report how Hypsos perform with My S40. 😀

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #1,457 of 2,535
With 3.1, I was on Squeeze 8.3.0 and Squeezelite 1.8.7. With C-3PO they played 16fS (as you know).

I will probably wait and see if they can sort out the later versions to play 16fS. I don’t particularly want to be limited to staying with 3.1. Let’s see what happens.
I took the leap and did the 3.11 update. Am I the only one who doesn't know their own username and password for the CX? Any assistance appreciated. : )

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,459 of 2,535
With 3.1, I was on Squeeze 8.3.0 and Squeezelite 1.8.7. With C-3PO they played 16fS (as you know).

I will probably wait and see if they can sort out the later versions to play 16fS. I don’t particularly want to be limited to staying with 3.1. Let’s see what happens.
Some of you may have seen this post on the Antipodes Forum saying that they are working on a fix to enable the Squeeze and Squeezelite shipped with 3.11 to play 16FS files (ie 705 and 768kHz).

FYI there is a fix in the works for 705 / 768
No ETA, but rest assured its a priority

I am happy to wait and in the meantime I will just play non upscaled files direcct to the DAC or to the Mscaler with Squeeze/Squeezelite (which I am really enjoying and no hardship for the moment).

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,461 of 2,535
Has the C-3PO plugin been removed in the 3.11 update as not able to locate it?
The 3-CPO plug-in is not compatible with the later version of Sqeeze/Squeezelite included with 3.11. So even if you make the C-3PO plug-in active it will not work.

We need to wait for the promised software magic from Antipodes to get the later versions of Sqeeze/Squeezelite to play 705/768 files.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,462 of 2,535
The 3-CPO plug-in is not compatible with the later version of Sqeeze/Squeezelite included with 3.11. So even if you make the C-3PO plug-in active it will not work.

We need to wait for the promised software magic from Antipodes to get the later versions of Sqeeze/Squeezelite to play 705/768 files.
Antipodes have announced that 3.12 is being released overnight to fix Squeeze/Squeezelite being able to play 705 and 768kHz files. This fix does not require C-3PO.

v3.12​

“Squeeze Remote Control
Some minor updates

Squeeze Player
A critical fix for a small number of users experiencing problems with Squeeze Server losing Squeeze Player. And a critical fix for users wanting to play very high bit-rate files.

Security
Some minor security enhancements”

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,463 of 2,535
Antipodes have announced that 3.12 is being released overnight to fix Squeeze/Squeezelite being able to play 705 and 768kHz files. This fix does not require C-3PO.

v3.12​

“Squeeze Remote Control
Some minor updates

Squeeze Player
A critical fix for a small number of users experiencing problems with Squeeze Server losing Squeeze Player. And a critical fix for users wanting to play very high bit-rate files.

Security
Some minor security enhancements”
Hmmn, well for me at least this has been a bit of a disaster. 3.12 Squeeze/Squeezelite cannot play PGGB (705/768) files and also it has screwed up the Material user interface.

How is everyone else getting on with 3.12?

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,464 of 2,535
Hmmn, well for me at least this has been a bit of a disaster. 3.12 Squeeze/Squeezelite cannot play PGGB (705/768) files and also it has screwed up the Material user interface.

How is everyone else getting on with 3.12?
I upgraded a bit ago. I’m using roon as a server with Squeeze Lite as a player. Playback maxes out at 192, like before. I think I’m going to try Roon as a player again and do a comparison.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,465 of 2,535
How is everyone else getting on with 3.12
I'm still on 3.1. Mark had restored my K30 to that with the expectation that 3.11 would get offered again automatically. I was going to request a session this afternoon to have my K30 brought up to date, but not so sure I will given your reports.

I have been using Roon with Squeeze and have been hearing great things. I recently added a few more products from Acoustic Sciences (the Tube Trap company). They had a Black Friday special on their SubTraps. While I don't have subs, Jordan from ASC reached out to mention that they could be used under my front stacks to close the gap between the ceiling and the top of the traps. He said these would improve the bottom two octaves - which they did - but they brought across the board improvements as well.

You can see the SubTrap-18 beneath a stacked pair of 16" Isothermal tube traps below. These things may seem expensive, but they are actually one of the biggest bargains in audio. They dry up what ASC calls "head end ringing" so that you are hearing more of the direct sound from your speakers. The following is a list of the improvements I heard just from adding the SubTraps. Thus with these in place, Roon sounds better than ever - especially since Squeeze is involved. But I really can't wait to get back to playing my PGGB'd tracks again using Squeeze.

- Better articulation of the low notes with more evenness in the frequency response. Bass drums are more realistic.
- Less smearing across the board. There was a moment on a Tony Allen album where he simply taps his drumsticks against each other. It was scarily-real.
- Natural decay of instruments is easier to observe.
- Dynamics are more explosive. Rise times are faster than they’ve ever been.
- Music can be played louder with it just sounding better and better as I crank it up
- Cymbals are reproduced even more realistically
- Imaging is more holographic and the sound is more forward (in a good way)
- The notes seem more deliberate and better controlled. Drums have really benefited from this.

IMG_0480.jpg

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,466 of 2,535
I am listening to my K50 using iPeng for the interface for Squeeze/Squeezelite. I can live with that and in some ways it beats the Material interface anyway.

I wanted to test out playing PGGB files so I disconnected the Mscaler. PGGB files are still not working with Squeeze/Squeezelite and I cant be bothered to reconnect the Mscaler so I am listening to some Lute music played by Jakob Lindberg, downloaded from Qobuz (not streamed) at 96kHz. It sounds stunning anyway without any upscaling.

I use the USB output from the K50 taken through a PhoenixUSB and that is connected to an SRC-DX by USB. Then a single BNC is connected from the SRC-DX either straight to the Dave (as it is at the moment) or connected to the Mscaler by BNC which it will be later on. I have tried the BNC output on the K50 but at the moment I think it is beaten by the combination of the K50 USB output, PhoenixUSB and SRC-DX.

I do not miss the Roon interface at all and I am quite content just to select an album and play it all the way through. Just the same as putting a CD on a CD player. Sometimes having the whole of internet streaming at ones fingertips is not the best experience. Less is more, as they say.

At the moment I do miss Antipodes 3.11 which was at least working fine with non PGGB files. ‘Oh Well’, to quote Peter Green if anyone knows that track. A later line from that track says, “Don’t ask me what I think of you, I might give the answer you want me to.” That line always makes me smile when I hear it. 🤣 👍 Lets see what tomorrow brings with sorting out 3.12.

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,467 of 2,535
I feel sorry for Mark. It is Saturday there and he was trying to fix my customs broker issue at 4:00 am so he could talk with Canada. Now the Squeeze issue will also cut into any weekend he has.

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,468 of 2,535
Help. Just seen that the EX has a software update to 3.12 however the CX doesn't. Anyway, updated the EX and it says 3.11 not 3.12.....anyway now i can't get any tracks to play when Hqplayer is selected. I change to roon in the menu and it's fine. Any thoughts?

Solved...for some reason, the DAC had changed in the Hqplayer menu. God knows how lol

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,469 of 2,535
I have tried looking to see what version of LMS (ie Squeeze server) I have on the K50 server but I cant seem to see where that is listed. Have you seen a way to find that out?

I have asked Mark Cole on the Antipodes help forum how the overnight pushing of updated apps works and whether it is automatic or whether it depends on Antipodes manually releasing them into the update procedure. For instance some guys are reporting that they received HQP 4.26.2 with the 3.1 roll out but I received version 4.26.0 and it has not automatically updated to 4.26.2.
It has gone back to 1.8.7 from 1.9.9. You should find that C-3PO now works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back