CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Nov 27, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,411 of 2,535
I wish I could help but HQPlayer’s DSD configuration has been a mystery to me. SDM direct should send it straight on.

Can you play the files directly from HQPlayer without Roon being involved?
Yes, it is mysterious. I guess it goes without saying that the UI is a disaster.. but even a baseline-usable UI would clarify what settings are out of the loop when a bypass like SDM Direct is selected. Sigh. I will wrestle with it.

Playing Direct from HQP is my next step... I guess I'm going back on my firm declaration that I would only use the Roon UI.

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #1,412 of 2,535
I've been stacking my Chord M Scaler on top of the K30, and recently read on the manual that Chord recommends not having the unit close to Toroidal power transformers. :unamused:So now wondering whether I should maybe place it side by side or get something to separate the two. Appreciate any advise. Thanks!!

Here’s a photo of the inside of my K30. The power supply is sitting my its lonesome in the front half.

My guess is that Chord worries more about the EMF emitted from a transformer harming the performance of the M-Scaler. I think that may also be why there is a separator inside the K30 that splits this into two sections.

It’s always a good practice to keep components separated. The nice thing about EM and RF is that they drop by the square of the distance. So even just a little distance helps.

Attachments

• 9C505DDD-E517-49D0-A839-394B8AA5A37D.jpeg
    9C505DDD-E517-49D0-A839-394B8AA5A37D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #1,413 of 2,535
Here’s a photo of the inside of my K30. The power supply is sitting my its lonesome in the front half.

My guess is that Chord worries more about the EMF emitted from a transformer harming the performance of the M-Scaler. I think that may also be why there is a separator inside the K30 that splits this into two sections.

It’s always a good practice to keep components separated. The nice thing about EM and RF is that they drop by the square of the distance. So even just a little distance helps.
Thanks Kenny! I saw the interior as well from another review. So have now move the m scaler to the back left corner to be as far away as possible from the transformer. I also place a modified monitor stand (maybe about 3cm thick?) and tape 2 layers of alum foil below the stand to shield? Haha. I feel silly doing it, almost like making a tin foil hat.

Anyway here's a pic. Also, the stand is lifted just a bit with rubber feet so there's still some ventilation above the k30.

Attachments

• k30.jpg
    k30.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #1,414 of 2,535
Thanks Kenny! I saw the interior as well from another review. So have now move the m scaler to the back left corner to be as far away as possible from the transformer. I also place a modified monitor stand (maybe about 3cm thick?) and tape 2 layers of alum foil below the stand to shield? Haha. I feel silly doing it, almost like making a tin foil hat.

Anyway here's a pic. Also, the stand is lifted just a bit with rubber feet so there's still some ventilation above the k30.
If possible, it’s probably worth experimenting with position as the Mscaler does emit a lot of RF, so the impact of the Mscaler to other equipment, especially the DAC, can also be quite detrimental.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,415 of 2,535
Hi all I'm not very technical, but just wondering does Antipodes K30 / K50 uses toroidal power transformers? Can't seem to find this info easily googling.

I've been stacking my Chord M Scaler on top of the K30, and recently read on the manual that Chord recommends not having the unit close to Toroidal power transformers. :unamused:So now wondering whether I should maybe place it side by side or get something to separate the two. Appreciate any advise. Thanks!!

They are not torroidal transformers. The picture in this review shows what the power supplies look like: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/re...rk-player-reviews/antipodes-k50-music-server/

Whether the ones used are any better from an interference standpoint I don’t know. At least you can see where they are located and put the M scaler on the other side.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,416 of 2,535
They are not torroidal transformers. The picture in this review shows what the power supplies look like: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/re...rk-player-reviews/antipodes-k50-music-server/

Whether the ones used are any better from an interference standpoint I don’t know. At least you can see where they are located and put the M scaler on the other side.
Thanks, although the k50 layout and the k30 layout is quite different, with mine being the k30. But good point that perhaps they are not considered torroidal transformers. But no harm putting it away from the power supply I suppose, which the design of the k30 seems to being doing it too, putting the power supply at the front in lonesome and having a separate shield from the other components.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,417 of 2,535
Out of curiosity I purchased an inexpensive EMF meter from Amazon. The K30 only caused this to beep when I held in in proximity to that power supply. The level was a fraction of some other components. My amp was the worst and the EtherRegen might have been second worse. I should repeat this.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,418 of 2,535
Wow thanks
Out of curiosity I purchased an inexpensive EMF meter from Amazon. The K30 only caused this to beep when I held in in proximity to that power supply. The level was a fraction of some other components. My amp was the worst and the EtherRegen might have been second worse. I should repeat this.
Wow didn't realize there is an EMF meter. That's good to know. When you say close proximity, do you mean held so close that it's touching the metal case on top of the power supply. or 10cm away etc... :relaxed:

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #1,419 of 2,535
do you mean held so close that it's touching the metal case on top of the power supply. or 10cm away etc.
I definitely wasn't aiming for precision .. I was just playing with my new toy. :relaxed:

I'll measure again tomorrow and provide more details.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,420 of 2,535
always separate even a little.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,421 of 2,535
oladra upgrade, here I come.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,423 of 2,535
Any CX-EX users who have upgraded to 3.1 who play PGGB files through M Scaler can I ask if you have them working on Squeeze as I am having issues?
Have you enabled the C-3PO plugin? See the conversation that began around post 1312 for more detail.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,425 of 2,535
Wow thanks

Wow didn't realize there is an EMF meter. That's good to know. When you say close proximity, do you mean held so close that it's touching the metal case on top of the power supply. or 10cm away etc... :relaxed:
The EMF meter has a threshold such that anything that exceeds this number makes it beep. I haven't moved this threshold from its default setting.

All around that motor the meter will beep even up to a couple inches away. This same thing happens around all each the power supplies in my system so this is just the normal magnetic field that forms around them. Probably a good idea to keep sensitive components away from this field. These numbers shown for my K30 are low relative to the numbers I see for my other components.

I tend to avoid sweating the small stuff so I won’t be obsessing over these - especially since I lack the space to better separate my components. But I can see how meters like this might be of value when one is dealing with a tight space. This model is no longer available on Amazon but there are others.

79461076-7ED2-441C-804B-54B16DA397EE.jpeg979FBD5B-3438-453D-AB3F-0CEFAAE694B7.jpegC740BBF8-8B89-4DF0-90D1-0C92D3917EF7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back