CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 5, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,051 of 2,535
Kenny, when I had the ER my test was to compare the sound with it in the system and then listen with the ethernet cable pulled from the rear of my K50. Even with a Sean Jacobs DC4 powering the ER, the ER to my ears coloured the sound quite a bit (I think the DC4 is higher up the Sean Jacobs power supply chain than the one in the PhoenixNET). In any case a DC4 plus ER costs far more than a PhoenixNET.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Have you tested your ER against the ‘no network’ test?

Sort of. I've powered down the opticalModule that's upstream of my ER. This as close to no network as I've tried. There's an improvement with network powered down, but it's not possible to say how much the ER itself is contributing to the sound with the network on.

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #1,052 of 2,535
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Sort of. I've powered down the opticalModule that's upstream of my ER. This as close to no network as I've tried. There's an improvement with network powered down, but it's not possible to say how much the ER itself is contributing to the sound with the network on.
Good man. I have got to the point with my PhoenixNET that I could not tell any different between ‘no network’ (ie with the ethernet plug pulled from the back of the K50) and having the K50 connected to the network via the PhoenixNET. All other options I tried there were differences.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,053 of 2,535
Good man. I have got to the point with my PhoenixNET that I could not tell any different between ‘no network’ (ie with the ethernet plug pulled from the back of the K50) and having the K50 connected to the network via the PhoenixNET. All other options I tried there were differences.

I can use a smart plug to power down my network using my iPhone. I do that occasionally when listening to music on the internal SSDs.

It's good to know that the PhoenixNET is so effective. Maybe some day I will look to add one.

I've been enjoying Roon again thanks to the Gustard x26 Pro DAC. Roon is more convenient to use when I'm working as I can just let it do its thing.

Highly recommended:
1633453849856.png

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,054 of 2,535
I‘ve been investigating server player options on my S40 and found Roon/Squeeze better than just Roon, mpd/bubble UPNP next best, but best of all HQplayer/Roon. Interestingly as I already have an MScaler I started using HQplayer without any upscaling or filters, into the Mscaler and it sounded brilliant. In fact so good, if I had just bought the S60 and got the same uplift, I’d have been happy.

To summarise the improvements, it has contributed greatly to the main areas that I knew would need addressing at some point. First the bass… using stand mounts there has never been a prolific volume of bass, which is fine for me as it’s a small room and I’m not a bass head. However, now the bass has increased but is clear and precise, no booming and importantly, sounds perfectly integrated into the overall sound. I struggle listening to systems where there is a lot bass but it just dominates everything else, I like everything to be balanced and integrated. Second, high end. I have a playlist called Bleeding Ears, every time I play a song that sounds harsh or grates, it goes in the playlist and becomes a test track. I went through the playlist and was amazed at how all of the songs had improved and all sounding much clearer and smoother. Finally, micro dynamics, all those little details that turn the sound into realistic sounding music and improves timbre. Overall, quite astounded at the overall improvement.

I have tried HQ player upscaling in to my TT2 and that too sounded great, but so many options to work through, for now I’m back to no upscaling or filters In to the Mscaler. I’ve read elsewhere that the developer of HQplayer doesn’t see the point of using HQplayer without using its full capabilities, which I understand, but there is no doubt that in my system it works brilliantly. Perhaps there is a market to purchase a version of HQ Player without upscaling?

I’m still in trial mode as I want to resolve a Roon has lost control error before committing, but even without the upscaling it would be worth the price for the uplift it has provided.

And to think I can still add the S60 for further gains :)

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,055 of 2,535
I have tried HQ player upscaling in to my TT2 and that too sounded great, but so many options to work through, for now I’m back to no upscaling or filters In to the Mscaler. I’ve read elsewhere that the developer of HQplayer doesn’t see the point of using HQplayer without using its full capabilities, which I understand, but there is no doubt that in my system it works brilliantly. Perhaps there is a market to purchase a version of HQ Player without upscaling?

Using one of the sinc filters with my TT2 was better to my ears than leaving the first three set to None - but this is without the Mscaler (I sold after getting my K30). I set these to None when I play music processed with PGGB but sometimes forget to turn them back on when playing music that's not been processed.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.55.32 AM.png

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,057 of 2,535
The Farad Super3 works wonders with an EtherRegen. Add a Level 2 DC cable and you'll be in great shape. That's what I'm doing and I've never felt the itch to take the power supply for the ER any further. I honestly don't know if the ER would scale further with an even better power supply. Most people seem more inclined to add additional switches or a reference clock instead. But maybe your insight is correct and the ER could be competitive with the Phoenix if given a power supply on par with the Sean Jacobs designed supply inside the Phoenix.
Have the same FARAD here powering an Sotm switch. I found it much better than the sps500. However I went for the copper level 2 DC as the Silver stripped the soul out of the music. I recall
Clive, you are again whetting my appetite to try MinimServer!! 😀 But in the meantime there is no hint of brightness here with LMS/Squeezelite. The last time I used Roon I found Roon/Squeezelite smeared and muddled the mid / lower mid rather than altering brightness. When AMS3.1 arrives I will however try everything on offer including trying again the Roon options.

Just in passing I think you are using the BNC output from your K50. For the moment I use the usb output from my K50 to a PhoenixUSB connected to a SRC-DX usb to bnc convertor which then connects to my MScaler by a bnc to bnc cable. Don’t ask me how or why but I prefer the sound like that. Try the track ‘Birds’ on this album called Nameless by Dominique Fils-Aimé.

23294B31-8382-4C5D-8632-195EE587A66C.jpeg
This is a very noob question...what is Lms? If want try Lms/squeeze, what do I need and what do I need to do?

Ta

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,058 of 2,535
Roon/Hqplayer, no filters is the least fatiguing combination yet. Any upscaling/filters is taken care of with PGGB.

AMS3.1 - I find it interesting all apps are installed as Antipodes previously stated to install only required apps so as not to degrade sound quality. Is this just a new gui and not a software improvement?

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,059 of 2,535
AMS3.1 - I find it interesting all apps are installed as Antipodes previously stated to install only required apps so as not to degrade sound quality. Is this just a new gui and not a software improvement?
The video they prepared a while back that showed 3.1 allowed one to easily turn apps on/off. If they've managed to shut down what's not needed, then sound quality should be ok.

On AMS 3.0, I can't tell what's actually running on my server. I can shutdown Roon, but that it's not running isn't displayed on a dashboard. Same for Squeeze server. I'd love to be able to shut down what I won't be using. Will my choices remain after rebooting? Uninstalling them certainly would accomplish that. I can do that in AMS 3.0 but I haven't done so as I still have yet to pick a winner ... I put that on hold pending 3.1. I'm curious what Antipodes will recommend as a best practice. I have found a slight improvement by shutting down Roon Server when not using it, but I rarely do that.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,060 of 2,535
Following OLADRA upgrade, I'm having to restart Roon on the CX Dashboard nearly every day before Roon can find it as my core - not a biggie but maybe something for a future software update (unless it's just me of course).

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,061 of 2,535
I feel like this is a stupid question, but how the hell do you safely eject a portable hard drive without turning the K50 off? I’ve searched and searched and nothing. If I pull the hdd out and put it back on my pc, I have to scan and potentially repair the hdd because Windows knows I pulled out the hdd out of my K50 without safely ejecting.

Is there any way to safely eject a portable hdd on the K50? :thinking:

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #1,062 of 2,535
Is there any way to safely eject a portable hdd on the K50?
It's not a stupid question. Wait for the LED on the drive to stop blinking then say the words "open sesame" and then pull out your drive.

I totally made that up, of course. That's a great question to ask on the Antipodes support forum.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,063 of 2,535
Roon / Squeezelite vs Squeeze / Squeezelite on the K50

I had said to myself that I was going to wait until AMS 3.1 before revisiting using Roon with my K50 but rules are meant to be broken (and the roll out of 3.1 is taking much linger than anticipated) so this morning I reloaded Roon (I had previously deleted it) and set it up using Squeeze (Squeezelite) as the Player.

Each time I revisit Roon I am always super impressed by the user interface and sheer sophistication of the app. It is just crazy good. Unfortunately within 30 seconds of pressing play on Roon on the amazing track ‘Birds’ by Dominique Fils-Aimé from her ‘Nameless’ album it was clear that there was something wrong. The wonderful clarity and detail of the plucked double bass notes had disappeared and instead everything had become rather veiled.

Just to be sure I went to the Opium Moon album of the same name and played ‘When I see You Naked I Smell the Earth’. It was the same effect and the lovely texture of the instruments was smeared and lost.

It was as if the joy and magic had been sucked out of both tracks.

I have again deleted Roon and have returned to Squeeze for the Server on my K50 and Squeeze aka Squeezelite as the Player.

My method of connection with the K50 was unchanged and is USB from the K50 to the PhoenixUSB and with that connected to the AudioWise SRC-DX usb to spdif convertor. I take a single bnc to bnc cable to the Mscaler and dual bnc to the ARC6 Dave.

When 3.1 is rolled out I will revisit all the options and that will include all the Roon options such as using HQP just as the player for Roon but for the moment I will leave things as they are.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,064 of 2,535
Using one of the sinc filters with my TT2 was better to my ears than leaving the first three set to None - but this is without the Mscaler (I sold after getting my K30). I set these to None when I play music processed with PGGB but sometimes forget to turn them back on when playing music that's not been processed.

Roon/Hqplayer, no filters is the least fatiguing combination yet. Any upscaling/filters is taken care of with PGGB.

Thank you both for these details.. I know a lot of people have very high-end systems. I find it very disconcerting that the underlying player transport / architecture is degrading the sound of my system (even while the sound quality grows by leaps and bounds with power cable upgrades, acoustics improvements, etc.). Despite being employed in the technology world (nominally mind you) I have not yet been able to figure out a working HQ Player arrangement, although if I'm honest I haven't tried that hard. So, that's next on my list.

PGGB: I'm very attracted to the idea but I think I've already said here that PGGB was a change absolutely but not a net benefit in my system, which always seems to employ DSD-based DACs with their own elaborate upsampling routine. It's one of the reasons I didn't look very hard at HQPlayer initially, but I definitely take the point of the posters above that perhaps the first good thing HQP is doing is effectively removing RAAT and its widely-reported inferoriority from the chain.

Roon vs LMS / DLNA / MinimServer / every other UI: I guess this is where I'm drawing the line. I have crazy acoustic treatments, kilobuck power cables, tape all over my floor, and a pretty high level of general insanity to facilitate the best music playback I can create. But I can not, and do not, and I guess will not, go back to any other UX than Roon for playing music. Squinting at text UIs and organizing file trees and finding which volume of the cantata cycle has the one you're looking for and and and ... not to mention the inclusion of Qobuz and TIDAL which has fundamentally enhanced my music discovery capability .. I can't live without it. So I will get Roon > HQPlayer (no upsampling) working. I salute those of you who are able to go back to the older playback experience in search of sonic perfection but I will not join you. : )

On a few other recent topics:
streamed 24/192 vs local files (DSD/otherwise): I think someone pointed out that this is an extremely apples / oranges comparison. You have to compare the same files (at least the 24/192 version of an album MAY be the same mastering between Qobuz streaming and a local download, depending on where you got it) or else you aren't comparing anything. To that end I have done a lot of comparing of this newish album, which is totally enjoyable musically and quite good sonically. Herreweghe is working his way through a cantata cycle with real sensitivity and charisma, aided by lovely vocal performances from the Chapel Royale.

1633615141101.png

I do prioritize the local version as it has better tonal density and a little less hash in massed choral passages (my ongoing / most challenging test for how well a playback chain sorts things out). However if you were to randomly play me one vs the other I'm not certain I could tell you which one is playing. I would characterize the difference for this track local vs streamed as smaller than many other tweaks including USB cables and power cords.

So I do seek out and purchase DSD or high-rate PCM versions of recordings I want to own, and I do listen to a substantial amount (perhaps half) of streaming. In my system the difference is there if you want to A / B a bunch of times but I tire of that activity very quickly.

Audiophile switches: I too fell victim to the attractive price of entry of the ER, back when I was running the Bridge II (which now takes up space in my box o' tubes) on my PS Audio DirectStream (latest firmware of course). Plugging it in there with the stock power, I heard an increase in articulation and an increase in audiophile 'detail' and found it unpleasant.

Many changes later, I prefer the ER (with the Uptone LPS-1 power supply) B side connected to my EX, with a second ER (standard PS) connected to my CX and the rest of the network. In the current system configuration the two ERs add clarity and I haven't noticed a prominent change in voicing with them in. Notably, this configuration sounds better unequivocally than connecting the EX to the CX directly (even with both ERs upstream of the CX). However I have not done the 'unplug the cable' test -- and [..thinks for a moment] I cannot, because all my media is on the CX and the EX is the player (which is of course the point).

Innuos: Ah, Innuos. I always thought they were beautiful and expected to buy one. But I also found somethign very sensible about the Antipodes CX/EX approach (2 boxes make sense for 2 tasks) with the bonus of buying one then adding the other. So I did. However, I have a friend with the Innuos Statement > MS > DAVE and it is pretty great (the sound was pretty good until I pointed out he was using the wrong USB port, after it jumped to incredible). I think Innuos' decision to pull the key tech out of that server and sell it separately is a good marketing decision, and good for us. As it happens an industry friend has a Phoenix USB and brought it over. It made a notable if not dramatic improvement to a digital chain already fairly optimized, as follows.
consumer router > in-wall CAT7 > ER1 > CX (no upgrade), LPS-1/ER2 > AQ Vodka ethernet > EX (no upgrade) > Curious USB > P2 > PS Audio AC12 HDMI > DirectStream (Bridge II long since removed) > BHK Preamp > Focal SM9 studio monitors / JL Audio F112v2. (Various high-end power cables from AQ, Nordost, another great local manufacturer, and the good o'l PS Audio AC12).

I love the utility of the Phoenix USB -- it seems to clean up any USB signal (including that from say a MacBook or something) very nicely, and scales up in performance enough to improve an EX. I can imagine it would improve or perhaps just change the USB performance of a K50... has someone tried that?

Given the performance of the Phoenix USB, and with the valuable insights on this forum, I would try the PhoenixNet too. However I don't see it as an either / or; I will always need gigabit connectivity afaic for the CX, and I will move one of the ERs to use as a normal switch adjacent to my router.

Soo.... with one more purchase it's: router > ER > maybe another ER + CX > PhoenixNet > EX > Phoenix USB > P2 > DAC. No wonder people think we're crazy.

CX / EX 'OLADRA' Upgrade (and upgrades in general): Glad to hear people are hearing good results. I may have already said I'm a little hesitant to spend new retail dollars on upgrading a computer given the depressing depreciation in value as well as compaibility in any computer. Also given my configuration above I still wonder if the CX is "doing" anything besides just.. serving Roon (or even upsampling HQP if, say, I bought a Holo Audio May DAC and wanted to PCM 768/1024). One day I will buy (or more likely borrow) a Roon Nucleus and see what is the difference in SQ when there are two (or three?) audiophile clean-up switches between the core and the renderer.

With that in mind, I find myself inclined to focus my (increasingly stingy) future upgrade dollars on renderer not server. As such I think I'm unlikely to splurge on the K series and will do S separates (and probably spend very nearly the same amount of money by the time I'm done) starting with S60, then S20, then S30. This is on the assumption that I keep the PS Audio DirectStream (for which HDMI is decidedly the preferred input, and which I am beginning to do the output transformer and external power supply for the analog board upgrades, another kettle of upgrade fish entirely)

Aren't all of these boxes trying to do the same thing?
An accomplished reviewer, "raydude", whose human name I don't know, usefully articulates this 'hypothesis for digital optimization' in his audiophilestyle review of the Sean Jacobs DC4 / DAVE review (which my Innuos Statement friend ALSO just got installed; we all have some friends we hate..)
  • First Law: Invest in cabling, power, and digital hygiene to do as little harm as possible (directly or indirectly) to the DAC’s clock, ground plane, or reference voltage plane
  • Second Law: Invest in a digital endpoint that moves bit perfect digital data from ethernet to a USB DAC with as little variability and as much timing and signal integrity as possible (aka, as close to precision real time data streaming to DAC as possible)
If I squint for a moment, I would say that all the ethernet boxes and power supplies are trying to address Law 1, and the EX / S30 / P2 et al are trying to address Law 2. Of course in a combined product like the K50 or Innuos Statement these all get mixed together.

The relevant question for me is: Do I get better SQ dividends investing at the end of the chain (in my case upgrading the P2 to an S20 + S60), the middle (upgrading the EX to an S30 + s60), or the beginning (let's say a PhoenixNET)? (For clarity let's assume away a new DAC, and all the software/protocol stuff [pretend I already figured out Roon > HQP no upsampling])

A corollary of this question: If I do enough cleaning up on the back end, does the clean-up on the front end become less relevant? In other words, if someone finally made the perfect optical/galvanical/unobtainiumal box that cleaned up the USB or HDMI or whatever signal just before the DAC, would all the network and whatever bits be rendered [sic] irrelevant?
To answer my own question, of course not. Every product claims to do this (like every DAC with an innovative never-done-before galvanically-isolated USB input which is impervious to any problems in the upstream signal). But all these products (including all the ones I own and all the other ones I've tried) continue to benefit from cables and other improvements made further up the chain. Sigh. It was worth a shot.

Drive Management in 2.8: I had this question too...
I feel like this is a stupid question, but how the hell do you safely eject a portable hard drive without turning the K50 off? I’ve searched and searched and nothing. If I pull the hdd out and put it back on my pc, I have to scan and potentially repair the hdd because Windows knows I pulled out the hdd out of my K50 without safely ejecting.

Is there any way to safely eject a portable hdd on the K50? :thinking:
Every time I end up unplugging an external HD (in the hopes that there is some last scintilla of sound quality to be had by not having it connected LOL) Roon loses communication with it and the backups will not continue until I restart everything and set up a new backup. That gets annoying.

OK, end of rant(s). If I had time to post more frequently perhaps they would be shorter.
Perhaps.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,065 of 2,535
I love the utility of the Phoenix USB -- it seems to clean up any USB signal (including that from say a MacBook or something) very nicely, and scales up in performance enough to improve an EX. I can imagine it would improve or perhaps just change the USB performance of a K50... has someone tried that?
I use the PhoenixUSB with my K50, and it does indeed help and sound better. It's just a great component!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back