CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 24, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,126 of 2,432
Oct 24, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #1,128 of 2,432
Strange. I didn't find that at all. After having had time to properly get my ears around the upgraded units, using hqp filters still sound better than none at all

Some of us use HQP on pass through just as a player for instance to play pggb files or to play non upsampled files to the Mscaler.

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,129 of 2,432
Sorry not too clear…. I meant setting HQPlayer to non upsampling pass through.
I’m running this at the moment and of all the options and combinations within the Antipodes, this is the one I prefer, by some margin. The unsampled HQP output is fed into an Mscaler and on to a TT2.

I am in trial mode for HQP as I am waiting for 3.1 so I can try the latest version and compare with the latest version of the alternative options before buying a licence (or not).

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,132 of 2,432
I was under the impression that Hqplayer was as good a alternative to mscaler just software based. I know some have sold their mscaler based on the performance of hqp.

I am not one of those. I prefer Mscaler.

Oct 24, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,133 of 2,432
I was under the impression that Hqplayer was as good a alternative to mscaler just software based. I know some have sold their mscaler based on the performance of hqp.

I sold my M-scaler, but it wasn’t because HQPlayer was better. To my ears the M-scaler was better, but I found that putting the proceeds from selling it into buying my K30 delivered a lot more. PGGB is a lot better than both M-scaler and HQPlayer so there was also that.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #1,134 of 2,432
I sold my M-scaler, but it wasn’t because HQPlayer was better. To my ears the M-scaler was better, but I found that putting the proceeds from selling it into buying my K30 delivered a lot more. PGGB is a lot better than both M-scaler and HQPlayer so there was also that.
Hey...I think my point is, why use Hqplayer and Mscaler when they effectively do the same thing?

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #1,135 of 2,432
hello all, discovered this album and excited to share with you all antipodes crowd. The simple combination of female vocals and bass piano notes gets to me this one. I was also using the second track (saviour) as test track as I was contemplating of potentially letting go of S20/S60, Mscaler and Wave storm cables :scream:, and settled instead of K30 USB direct to Dave with HQP (sinc M, LNS15 as dither). The savings could potentially net me an Eames lounge chair for listening and more. :L3000:

But just using that one test track makes me value what those components does to my setup that letting go is NOT an option. I’m not sure whether it’s HQP or just USB implementation of Dave, but k30 direct to Dave with HQP, on the ’saviour’ track, the piano bass notes just sounded too rounded off, all the textural information I got from Mscaler was missing. The female vocals also seem to have a digital edge which grates on me. Oh well, no eames lounge chair for me. :relieved:

https://i.imgur.com/t2YdyyV.png

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #1,136 of 2,432
Hey...I think my point is, why use Hqplayer and Mscaler when they effectively do the same thing?
One would have to listen and decide. I decided that to my ears they do not do the same thing. Some might say they prefer the sound of HQP but I have so far preferred the Mscaler. I admit though that until I get AMS 3.1 I do not have access to the latest version of HQP so I am really looking forward to revisiting HQP vs Mscaler.

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,137 of 2,432

I skipped the intermediate step of buying the M scaler. I demoed it at a dealer and liked what it did. Whilst saving the coin for the HMS I read reviews from users who were achieving similar results using a good server and HQP, to the point that they were selling their HMS.
I decide to spend my HMS money on an EX and HQP and liked what it did. It reminded me a lot of what the in store HMS demo did, but obviously not a fair comparison. I also like having a clean installation without the clutter of too many additional boxes, cables and power supplies.

One day I would like to try an HMS properly but the used prices are ridiculously high, around 80% of the new price. Perhaps I will revisit when HMS2 comes out and used prices drop for HMS1.

One benefit of the very shot life cycle of antipodes servers is you can buy last years state of the art for 50% of the original retail price from a dealer with warranty. The previous owners kindly do the ‘burn-in‘ for you. Bring on the K100:)

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #1,138 of 2,432
One benefit of the very shot life cycle of antipodes servers is you can buy last years state of the art for 50% of the original retail price from a dealer with warranty. The previous owners kindly do the ‘burn-in‘ for you. Bring on the K100:)

And newest n greatest cost almost another 50% more ... bring on the K100 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-062525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-062525_Chrome.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211026-062627_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-062627_Chrome.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,139 of 2,432
Perhaps already known to many here but just in case .... I just found this free hires 16bit 96khz internet station with 4 streaming url of different genres that are not bad sounding at all ... being absolutely free ! 🥳🥳

Yes, I am not only cheap but also lazy to search for my music and just let someone else does it 😂

https://www.superstereoradiochile.com/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-193406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-193406_Chrome.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #1,140 of 2,432
Hi,

Any worth in messing with Roon and/or HQ Player for the uninitiated ?

Started 2 yrs ago with Squeezelite and free Android Squeezer app until today being subscribed to Qobuz.

Search fine for any track with more than adequate GUI via Squeezer including across 2x 4TB SSDs, 2X 10TB NAS, Qobuz etc. and also read Squeezelite often sounds fine w.r.t. sound quality ?

Hi,

Surprised with all these discussion on Roon and HQP but no articulation on what benefits they bring to the table for noobs like me on basic squeezelite and Squeezer android app for control ??

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back