CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 19, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,096 of 2,395
Well here is a response

You can all relax. We have this under control. As a Roon partner we have known about this change for some time. Our current software suite works perfectly with the new Roon software. Technically, Roon is still doing testing, so we have held our release of the remote upgrade to v3.1 to make sure it encompasses any changes required. We will begin informing you about how to get ready for the upgrade shortly, and describe the full upgrade process. The process involves thousands of files to be deleted, replaced or added, and for a new kernel to be installed, so you will need to put an hour or more aside to complete it. Making sure this works without a hitch for you, and making sure it complies fully with the new Roon software is what we are finalising now.

To avoid having to keep coming back here, we recommend you sign up to our mailing list, so that you can get important notifications like this.

If you are on an earlier version of our software, then we recommend you take the opportunity to update to v3.1 before 3 November.

If you are already on v3.1, you do not need to do anything. You are already running software that has been tested with the new Roon software.

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,097 of 2,395
sooo not sure what us 2.7 owners do..... well here is the response to me.

Wait until the v3.1 upgrade process is released. We are in final testing and there is plenty of time before 3 Nov. Either get on our mailing list or come back here in a few days time.
As explained above, this will be set out in detail in the next few days. You will have the opportunity to upgrade to v3.1 without your music server needing to leave your system.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,098 of 2,395
Oct 20, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,099 of 2,395
"Next few days" sounds really promising.
Also there seems a clear commitment that the 3.1 roll out will be before 3 November and from what I read on the Antipodes support forum that it will be next week.

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,100 of 2,395
I have posted this on the Antipodes Help Forum but worth asking here as well . . . . .

Usually I keep my K50 powered up 24/7 but last night I put it into standby and then switched it off from the mains. This morning I switched it on at the switch on the rear and pressed the front button as per usual but this time nothing is happening. No bleeps, no lights on the front. I can see a green light inside and on the rear the green light is flashing on the ethernet cable/socket. I have also checked both fuses and they seem OK.

Any ideas for what to try?

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,102 of 2,395
Well here is a response

You can all relax. We have this under control. As a Roon partner we have known about this change for some time. Our current software suite works perfectly with the new Roon software. Technically, Roon is still doing testing, so we have held our release of the remote upgrade to v3.1 to make sure it encompasses any changes required. We will begin informing you about how to get ready for the upgrade shortly, and describe the full upgrade process. The process involves thousands of files to be deleted, replaced or added, and for a new kernel to be installed, so you will need to put an hour or more aside to complete it. Making sure this works without a hitch for you, and making sure it complies fully with the new Roon software is what we are finalising now.

To avoid having to keep coming back here, we recommend you sign up to our mailing list, so that you can get important notifications like this.

If you are on an earlier version of our software, then we recommend you take the opportunity to update to v3.1 before 3 November.

If you are already on v3.1, you do not need to do anything. You are already running software that has been tested with the new Roon software.
Cool. Bit of a touch that I already have v3.1 then

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,104 of 2,395
I love this! I have tried to maintain this line and others. I've promised myself, for example, that I will not outgrow my current rack. That limits the number of additional boxes that I can/will buy.

Roon can be enjoyable as long as you spend little time listening to the other options.
Speaking of rack space, sigh, I've just set up my PS Audio SACD Transport. It absolutely spanks my streaming stack on native redbook CD playback, and has opened my ears to the fuss about SACDs.

It also has the ability to play just about any media off a burned disc or USB stick (with extremely basic navigation). I'll report back once I copy some reference highres tracks to a USB stick and compare. Short edit: not every USB stick works, i.e. neither of the two I've tried so far. Anyway PSA are very upfront that this USB-stick listening is Not The Intended Use Case for this transport. :stuck_out_tongue: But the SQ on redbook and SACD playback is such that I have to try.
Where do we do this? I can't find it on the Antipodes site. I must say that as an old CX/EX (no upgrade) owner I feel quite adrift with respect to upgrades. The software has always said 'upgrade to X' while I cam cleary told that I cannot upgrade to X. It's not a great end-user experience tbh.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,105 of 2,395
Oct 20, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,108 of 2,395
Just thought I would mention since I opened the thread it has been 74 pages and no bad words said.
What a nice bunch Audiophiles you all are :) Thank you.
Hey Clive, Happy Wednesday!
It was inspiration to start the thread!
Nick

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,109 of 2,395
regarding the impending and imminent 3.1 update, Antipodes have just posted this which is very informative.

“With v3.0 and v3.1, there is no Update button. This is because we can push software changes to your music servers overnight. However, there are sometimes large changes that cannot and should not be done that way. The upgrade from v3.0 to v3.1 is one of those changes. We need to change the entire operating system and all of the applications this time. This requires a multi-step process of pushing down a new kernel plus some dependent files, then you will reboot into the new kernel and bring down more files, and then you will reboot into a custom version of the new kernel to bring down a large number of customised files. This takes a long time, and it involves risks - such as a user turning off their music server during the process.

Therefore, while the normal process with v3.0 and v3.1 is that we fix minor bugs and provide you with minor updates in the background, this is not and should not be the case when we are making such a large change as we are with v3.1. For this type of change, the user must be made aware of the process, choose a suitable time to complete the process (such as not during an electrical storm or any other time when a power cut might occur), take simple precautions such as backups, etc.

This is also not the last time we will be doing a large change such as this. There are some things on the horizon that we can already see that are so desirable that we are already working on the next complete change of operating system. But it is not practical to leave this change till then, partly because of the Roon change, but also because getting all Antipodes users to a common software platform makes future changes simpler and faster to develop. For example, one of the reasons the development of the update to v3.1 has taken a massive amount of work is that we needed to build one process to upgrade v3.0 users to v3.1, and another process to upgrade v2.7 users to v3.1, and then merge them into a single process that would cover both cases.

While this update involves making sure that you can run the latest version of Roon on 3 November, that is a very very minor part of what is happening. We endeavour to bring you a range of best-of-breed software. Sometimes a third-party launches an update of their software that has dependencies that require us to make a change to the operating system, not just an application update. Often we can accommodate that simply. But around every 5 years the adjustments to the operating system accumulate to the point where performance and stability demand a complete refresh of the operating system. This upgrade to v3.1 is one of those times.”

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,110 of 2,395
Speaking of rack space, sigh, I've just set up my PS Audio SACD Transport. It absolutely spanks my streaming stack on native redbook CD playback, and has opened my ears to the fuss about SACDs.

It also has the ability to play just about any media off a burned disc or USB stick (with extremely basic navigation). I'll report back once I copy some reference highres tracks to a USB stick and compare. Short edit: not every USB stick works, i.e. neither of the two I've tried so far. Anyway PSA are very upfront that this USB-stick listening is Not The Intended Use Case for this transport. :stuck_out_tongue: But the SQ on redbook and SACD playback is such that I have to try.
That sounds like a great addition.

Speaking of rack space as well, a new addition last night had me thinking I might need to add another shelf but fortunately I was able to get things onto a single shelf.

What you see on the shelf beneath my K30 is a Gustard x26 Pro DAC and a Gustard C18 master clock. The x26 Pro replaced my Chord TT2 a few weeks ago. It was a pretty big step up (when scaling with either PGGB or HQPlayer with the DAC running in NOS mode).

I was so impressed with the bang for the buck with the x26 Pro that I ordered their C18 master clock. That’s the smaller box sitting on top. This arrived yesterday as did a Purple fuse for the x26 Pro.

What a tremendous all around upgrade from the TT2 powered by a Farad Super3.

Attachments

• 3E117E6A-8153-467C-85A3-614E4F1DC901.jpeg
    3E117E6A-8153-467C-85A3-614E4F1DC901.jpeg
    810.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back