CX-300 vs. EP630 (please vote only if you've heard both)
May 17, 2006 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
Since there seems to be such difference of opinion, trying to see how many people think they are the same/different.

Please describe whatever differences you here.

May 17, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 24
I've had both, while I thought there was a difference initially (the first few minutes of hearing the ep630), i think its just because of the fit at that time.

I kept listening back and forth between the two and came to the conclusion that they sound identical...even if they aren't identical, the tiny difference is not worth discussing.

Just get whatever's cheapest for you.

May 18, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 24
One other thing you might want to be concerned about: the CX-300 has absolutely terrible microphonics. The worst I've heard. Worse than both the MDR-EX71 and UE super.fi 5 pro. I don't know if the EP-630 uses the same cable, but if it doesn't, I'd advise you to buy that one.

May 18, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 24
i have the cx300, ep630 and the md33. the ep630 and md33 sounds almost identical, except maybe the ep630 sounds a tiny bit less nasal, but they sound pretty much identical. the cx300 and the ep630 do not sound identical, but they do not sound very different from each other either. the cx300 sounds brighter, with lesser bass quantity than the ep630. imo, the ep630 sounds darker, but smoother. at where i stay, the audio technica ck7 costs the same as the cx300, and i would choose the ck7 over the cx300.

May 18, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i have the cx300, ep630 and the md33. the ep630 and md33 sounds almost identical, except maybe the ep630 sounds a tiny bit less nasal, but they sound pretty much identical. the cx300 and the ep630 do not sound identical, but they do not sound very different from each other either. the cx300 sounds brighter, with lesser bass quantity than the ep630. imo, the ep630 sounds darker, but smoother. at where i stay, the audio technica ck7 costs the same as the cx300, and i would choose the ck7 over the cx300.

thanks. i see that some have complained about the cx-300s being too bass heavy - you're saying the EP630s have even MORE bass than those? Is the bass overpowering on those? I listen mostly to rock so I like some bass presence but not so it overpowers the mids.

ck7 - hmmm now I have another one to add to the mix. these seem like they are pretty good. I think I like the idea of a J cord though (these have Y) - not sure how much that will sway my decision though. the microphonics of the CX-300 is a concern (I just poked around a little and someone on another site said the ck7s have virtually no microphonics).

are the ck7s significantly better than the EP630s?

May 18, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann
thanks. i see that some have complained about the cx-300s being too bass heavy - you're saying the EP630s have even MORE bass than those? Is the bass overpowering on those? I listen mostly to rock so I like some bass presence but not so it overpowers the mids.

ck7 - hmmm now I have another one to add to the mix. these seem like they are pretty good. I think I like the idea of a J cord though (these have Y) - not sure how much that will sway my decision though. the microphonics of the CX-300 is a concern (I just poked around a little and someone on another site said the ck7s have virtually no microphonics).

are the ck7s significantly better than the EP630s?

The CK7 and the EP630 are in different leagues. The CK7 is one step ahead of the EP630 but lies in a different sound spectrum as compared to the EP630.

EP630 is bass oriented, whereas the CK7 sounds much like the ER6i to me.

May 18, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron
The CK7 and the EP630 are in different leagues. The CK7 is one step ahead of the EP630 but lies in a different sound spectrum as compared to the EP630.

EP630 is bass oriented, whereas the CK7 sounds much like the ER6i to me.

Er6i is more detail to me... and warmer... CK7 mid is too recess to me...

May 18, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87
Er6i is more detail to me... and warmer... CK7 mid is too recess to me...

That's what I thought at the first place when comparing them both as well. CK7 is pretty hard to get a good seal because of its design and the shape of my ear, but once a proper seal is attained however, both sound very identical with some minor differences.

May 18, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 24
looks like the final step is to choose between the CK7 and the Panasonic HJE70. I'll have to check prices but if the HJE70 is more $ than I think it won't be a hard decision.

as usual, just when I think I know what I want, I have to do more research.

I've gone from deciding on the EP630, to Senn, to CK7 since yesterday.

May 18, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
One other thing you might want to be concerned about: the CX-300 has absolutely terrible microphonics. The worst I've heard. Worse than both the MDR-EX71 and UE super.fi 5 pro. I don't know if the EP-630 uses the same cable, but if it doesn't, I'd advise you to buy that one.

The microphonics on the EP630 are pretty bad as well. I've never heard the CX300 though, so I can't compare.

May 19, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann
looks like the final step is to choose between the CK7 and the Panasonic HJE70. I'll have to check prices but if the HJE70 is more $ than I think it won't be a hard decision.

as usual, just when I think I know what I want, I have to do more research.

I've gone from deciding on the EP630, to Senn, to CK7 since yesterday.

you are in luck. i have the ck7 and the hje70 as well.
biggrin.gif

imo, both ck7 and hje70 are a league above the ep630/cx300. as zeph has mentioned, the ck7 gets dangerously close to er6i's performance for roughly half the price (price based on where i stay). ck7 loses out in details level to the er6i by a tiny bit, but there is more viscreal and 'unboomy' bass on the ck7. the ck7 can be worn the normal way, but this will create microphonics. the recommended way is to wear them shure-style, with the cables looping over the ear. this will eliminate microphonics.

the hje70 is very fun sounding, bass is abundant, sometimes overpowering. the mids are a bit recessed and not as detailed as the ck7. the sound signature is buttery smooth, very fun.

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 24
So between the CX300, EP630, and HJE70, the HJE70s are the best even though they are also the cheapest? I need a very straghtforward answer about the differences between the Senn.'s and the EP630s are in terms of sound quality. Also, I can't find any CK-7's anywhere, anybody got some links for them?

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 24
http://www.audiocubes.com

the hje70 is not exactly the cheapest ($79 + shipping) but they do sound better than my cx300. it has much more detailed highs and mids. though for me they dont have that added punch for the low freqs

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iyzmi
Oh, I was looking at the HJE50 which are under $20.

I have those and the CX300. I find the HJE50 very uncomfortable. Soundwise I prefer the CX300. I still prefer the comfort of buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back