cutting wires -Ety 6i's
Mar 11, 2005 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Had 6i's for approx 3 weeks. Excellent sound etc ( now that i'm used to putting in correctly). I'm using with a SonyHD1, a Panasonic SD85 and the NH1 minidisc. All are on short neck lanyards and in top shirt pocket. So only need a short headphone lead. (Like my previous EX71 had) The 6i's have approx 60inch lead which at the moment I have curled up with cable ties to try and keep neat. My question is this - I'm wondering about actually cutting the lead? It seems to be 2 strands/wires - I can cut,trim and twist together (solder if needed?) then wrap neatly with electrical tape etc. BUT .... is there any danger of somehow "losing quality?" or is a "connection" a connection and that's it? (Apologies if this is a stupid question! I'm not an "electrical expert" !!?? ) Thanks for any advice.

PS Other phones have had what looks like a "single " wire to the plug. Presumably there's 2 smaller wires inside?? Do some have "one inside the other?!"

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm no modder, but it sounds dangerous. If you really wanna do it, I would send it to somebody who knows what they're doing.

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Lot's of people on here have recabled full size headphones, but those I believe use a thicker and probably easier to work with wire. I think you might run into some difficulty working on something this small. Don't forget, there are two wires going to each driver and the outer housing to those are tiny.

To get a good connection and minimize loss of sound quality, you would have to solder. You also run the risk of totally ruining them in the process.

You should give Etymotic a call, and find out what they would charge to shorten or recable your headphones. and I doubt it would cost too much.

good luck

-Jeff

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirleywhite
Had 6i's for approx 3 weeks. Excellent sound etc ( now that i'm used to putting in correctly). I'm using with a SonyHD1, a Panasonic SD85 and the NH1 minidisc. All are on short neck lanyards and in top shirt pocket. So only need a short headphone lead. (Like my previous EX71 had) The 6i's have approx 60inch lead which at the moment I have curled up with cable ties to try and keep neat. My question is this - I'm wondering about actually cutting the lead? It seems to be 2 strands/wires - I can cut,trim and twist together (solder if needed?) then wrap neatly with electrical tape etc. BUT .... is there any danger of somehow "losing quality?" or is a "connection" a connection and that's it? (Apologies if this is a stupid question! I'm not an "electrical expert" !!?? ) Thanks for any advice.

PS Other phones have had what looks like a "single " wire to the plug. Presumably there's 2 smaller wires inside?? Do some have "one inside the other?!"

eek.gif
BACK AWAY FROM THE SCISSORS!!!
eek.gif

Only perform this 'surgery' if you want your poor Etys to descend into a world of unbelievable cr@pness - Sheesh!
confused.gif
I take it you can see the future and know you're never going to need the warranty? As for "Cut,trim and twist the wires together" this is a delicate peice of equipment we are discussing here - not a length of mains flex! It's a small amount of extra wire,live with it! If you find it that cumbersome get a Smartwrap to controll the extra
smily_headphones1.gif
If i had a copy of it i'd be posting the 'No 'phones for you' pic in this reply!
biggrin.gif
Sorry if i seem harsh but don't do it!!!

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies folks!! To be honest I was always slightly doutful about "cutting" anyway!! Oink1 - you are right - curling up some extra lead is no big deal really. Appreciate all who replied.

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirleywhite
To be honest I was always slightly doutful about "cutting" anyway!! Oink1 - you are right - curling up some extra lead is no big deal really.

Phew! - Your Ety's and i breath a sigh of relief!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back