Cute x 3 = Adorable!
Nov 14, 2005 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I am fortunate to have in my posession...
cuties%201.jpg

I will post detailed impressions in a week or 2. Note that the K1000 are not there for decoration. I have had them (and other headphones)plugged into that amp. These things are like Lego(tm) blocks for grown ups. Uh oh, wife is scowling...adults?...(more scowls)...geeks...(a smirk and a nod). ok, we will go with "like Lego(tm) blocks for audio geeks"!
tongue.gif

Stay tuned.

gerG

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 48
You are telling me that the Big Joe can drive the K1000? Even my Melos can't do that!

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 48
Oh my goodness, that is a good-looking DAC .. I gotta get me a Fubar II! It's decent quality, right?? Lordy, only $120 ..

EDIT: Would it be superior to my Audiophile, in terms of purely DACing (not counting the fact that the Audiophile has a headphone amp built in)?

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 48
Ehm... what's so cute about these (other than the name)? Look like a bunch of bricks to me. Maybe cute in a neo-Gothic industrial sense...

Definitely interested in the sonic qualities, though.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Ehm... what's so cute about these (other than the name)? Look like a bunch of bricks to me. Maybe cute in a neo-Gothic industrial sense...

hahaha well, what does it for me is the little dizzy dog on there. They're also very small (roughly 4 1/3 x 3 x 2").

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 48
Cant wait to hear your impressions on the DACS. I was looking for an affordable one. Love how it compares to the more expensive ones.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 48
I can't explain why, but they are cute to me. My hasty picture does not do them justice. They are certainly solidly built. I haven't peeked inside yet.

I will hold off on sonic impressions for now. More listening required.

I think that is the Fu-2, but I will check for sure.

Big Joe can certainly drive the K-1000, just the specs would imply that. My curiosity is how well they work together, and if the dynamics survive. I had to build an adapter to drive headphones, so I went ahead and tried the second hungriest headphones that I own, the DT880. It was really interesting having such a small device drive the 880 with power to spare. Oh yeah, I will try it with a few speakers as well.

gerG

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG

Well, we're all very anxious, so I hope that they sound very fast!

Eh eh? *nudge nudge!?!?* Fast sound? Save time? Done sooner?

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 48
Please post impressions of Fubar II so I can decide what DAC to go with the SuperMini-3 and Etymotic Er4p
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I can't explain why, but they are cute to me. My hasty picture does not do them justice. They are certainly solidly built. I haven't peeked inside yet.

I think that is the Fu-2, but I will check for sure.

Big Joe can certainly drive the K-1000, just the specs would imply that. My curiosity is how well they work together, and if the dynamics survive. I had to build an adapter to drive headphones, so I went ahead and tried the second hungriest headphones that I own, the DT880. It was really interesting having such a small device drive the 880 with power to spare. Oh yeah, I will try it with a few speakers as well.

gerG

how did you build an adapter? Ive always thought connecting standard headphones directly to a power amp would fry them. except the akgs of course.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 48
RnB, it was pretty simple for this setup. 4 banana plugs, 4 wires, and a 1/4" jack. I didn't have an in-line jack around, so I actually used a panel mount. Not pretty, but functional. My K-1000s have a standard headphone plug. No worries about frying anything but my ears with the other headphones. I don't think I would try it with a low impedance phone, though.

K2G, good suggestion. I can try the fubar to the supermini to ER4S.

Socks, lol, I know what you mean. Unfortunately my day job keeps getting in the way. I can take the cuties to work, but I can't get to head-fi from there (not work related indeed).

gerG

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You are telling me that the Big Joe can drive the K1000? Even my Melos can't do that!

Doesn't the Big Joe put out 15wpc. How much power do those 'ear speakers' need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back