[cut]
Sep 27, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 3
As I was originally looking for a pair of headphones that surpasses my current HD 599, I wanted to try and find something that was even more accurate and clear, such as maybe the HD 800. However, it turns out that these are discontinued, and that the only option is to get them used. On the other hand, there's still the HD 800 S. This is what I found out.

The HD 800 S has slightly distorted bass and less treble than the HD 800, and is a more "colored" headphone with less soundstage. That somewhat worries me, because I've heard this description when comparing the HD 650 to the HD 600, despite me not knowing how much of a difference it truly is.

I guess I worry that, if I get a pair of headphones that's "warm-leaning", then it might sound like the bass is too distorted, and the mids to highs would sound recessed, especially for a pair that costs as much as the HD 800 S. Then again, I have no idea how much. Some say they sound exactly the same, others say they sound quite different.

(Also want to say that I have no idea how HD 800 S "distorted" bass compares to something like... say, Beats bass.)

I've owned the silver HD800 for some years and currently own the black HD800S.
Both are similar in the big scheme of things and fall into the clear and neutralish camp.
Both are relatively bass light compared to most other headphones and soundstage is pretty much the same or exactly the same.
The "more distorted" bass is a matter of debate as some third party measurements showed slightly higher THD in the bass for HD800S while some other measurements (with superior equippment) show almost no difference at all. Nothing to worry about, HD800 and HD800S provide very clean bass response in my experience, pretty much as good as it gets in terms of clarity in this region.

With regards to the less treble comment, tha original HD800 has a very highlighted treble around the 6kHz region which leads to steely tonality on the vast majority of neutral equippment. The HD800S has less energy in the 6kHz region thanks to some sort of an acoustic absorver that's placed in the center of the driver. While it's arguably still on the bright side around the 6kHz region, it's flatter than HD800 and thus it has less tendency to sound steely.

Both HD800 and HD800S are neutralish, microdetailed and slightly distant sounding (slightly softened upper midrange for non-intrussive presentation).
If you want a more forward headphone check the AKG K812. It can sound more like a tool because the overall sound is more upfront and unforgiving.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 3
don't worry just get the S. add a top notch server for even better SQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back