Customs vs Universals - Best bang for your buck - Noble vs Sony best advice
Apr 24, 2014 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hockey_magnet

100+ Head-Fier
I've always bought universals - mostly mid priced like Westone UM2's. Shure's etc. I'm currently really liking my new Sony XBA H3's. But I've been considering customs like the Noble 3C mainly for fit, comfort and isolation, not having to be concerned about tips, etc. Aside from a direct comparison between something like the Noble 3C vs The H3's, I'm wondering if you tend to get better quality and sound with Universals for similar prices since universals can benefit from lower mass production costs and lower component costs based on higher demand. Any thoughts on this subject - Interested in hearing from those who have quality customs AND Universals. Pro's and Cons aside from the obvious resale advantage of Universals.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 3
In terms of sound quality alone, customs are not better than universals, and vice versa. But yes, customs did tend to have better sound quality because of their original intended market: the proffesional crowd. This is changing recently though since more universal flagships are being released like the sennheiser ie800, shure se846, and fitear tg 334, which a good amount of people prefer to customs in sound quality. If anyone tells you that customs are automatically better than universals in terms of sq.... just nope them away. Your main decision should be based on comfort and isolation, or if you're willing to share the awesomeness with other people or not. (disclaimer: i don't own any customs or "quality" universals)

You should post in joker's thread. You should mention your preffered sound signature and your favorite genres

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply - I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out - if for approximately the same price, let's use $500 for arguments sake, the SQ of Customs would equal the SQ of universals costing the same - It's a given that the customs would have an added $50-$100 for impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back