Customs question (EU)
Jul 13, 2007 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kane-DK

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a Darkvoice 336i and being on a limited budget, I want to save where I can - which have generated the following question.

This Darkvoice from casque-hifi is located in China - hence I have to pay customs for this one for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darkvoice-336i-H...QQcmdZViewItem

But this Darkvoice also from casque-hifi is located in France.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darkvoice-336i-H...QQcmdZViewItem

The price is the same, so I'm wondering if its possible that their hasn't been payed customs for the Darkvoice in France yet - hence I'll have to pay it if I buy it?

I hope the question makes sence

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 17
If the item is in France then there shouldn't be any customs fee for you to pay since the item has already passed into the EU. You should contact the seller to check.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 17
That is what I'm thinking too. But then I saw the ones that the seller had in China, were the same price and I started wondering if there is something like a customfree area in countries? Well - I have mailed the seller, but haven't got a reply jet.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 17
There are couple of shortcuts you can take that will reduce total cost of this amplifier.
First of all you should find out in what terms you DONT have o pay customs fee. In Estonia you don't have to pay it when package comes from private person and is marked max 20USD value.
Second thing is that all of those amps are located in china. (i know because i contacted all sellers (casque-hifi and other one was jasmine or smth)).
What you should do is contact seller and make him proposition that you would buy amp outside ebay and that he would send item with value marked 20USD. They agree to this as i have asked and they also agree that total price would be 300USD (you can probably get it cheaper).
Outside ebay is cheaper because since they are business sellers hey have to pay some % of every sold item to ebay.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Second thing is that all of those amps are located in china. (i know because i contacted all sellers (casque-hifi and other one was jasmine or smth)).

But on one of the links I provided it seems thet the amps are located in France, that is way I started this post - because I'm wondering wether there has been payed customs or not.

Quote:

What you should do is contact seller and make him proposition that you would buy amp outside ebay and that he would send item with value marked 20USD. They agree to this as i have asked and they also agree that total price would be 300USD (you can probably get it cheaper).
Outside ebay is cheaper because since they are business sellers hey have to pay some % of every sold item to ebay.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think this is for me. I like that weebit security that buying from ebay gives you

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 17
@qwerty009

You were right. The amp is in China, I quess they got the location mixed up
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

There are couple of shortcuts you can take that will reduce total cost of this amplifier.
First of all you should find out in what terms you DONT have o pay customs fee. In Estonia you don't have to pay it when package comes from private person and is marked max 20USD value.

Not sure how it is in Denmark, but in UK, the law state it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure the declaration on the parcel is 100 percent accurate. If the guys at customs opens the parcel and find out the item have been under valued, the buyer would face a hefty fine.

With something as large as an amp, my guess is that it will get inspected.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how it is in Denmark, but in UK, the law state it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure the declaration on the parcel is 100 percent accurate. If the guys at customs opens the parcel and find out the item have been under valued, the buyer would face a hefty fine.

With something as large as an amp, my guess is that it will get inspected.

Umm, but what if the buyer does not want insurance or what if they are willing to swallow the losses if it is insured for less than it is worth and then damaged? seems a bit unfair.

BTW, see if you can get the seller to mark the item as a gift on the customs form. I have heard this will either eliminate or greatly lower the fees the buyer has to pay.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 17
This doesn't have anything to do with insurance. Whether you pay for insurance against the goods being damaged is entirely up to you.

UK customs will charge VAT on all goods entering the UK that are worth more than £38 (around $80 US). This is why they require all goods to be described accurately and their value correctly declared
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 17
If the seller is located in China and you're located in France, I guess there will be a customs fee. All countries in the EU has this I believe. Here in Sweden we have 25% customs fee for importing things from outside the EU (USA, asia, etc.).

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez I though we've got it bad at 17.5%, but 25%
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Yup. When buying my GS1000 with a Black Dragon recable (plus a extra set of pads), the price landed on 9200SEK ($1300), with added fees, it lands on about 11500SEK ($1700) so it hurts pretty bad. However, taking in mind I got a recable + pads included in the price, it's cheap when comparing to the retail price here in Sweden.

11000SEK. No $300 recable or extra pads so it's still "cheaper", but not much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back