Customs or Universals
Feb 11, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Surferp

New Head-Fier
here's my dilemma. I have roughly $250 give or take to get another pair of IEM to replace my broken SuperFi5Pro's. I'm not sure if i should take the plunge and get another set of 5Pros, which i can get for $150 through my employer or if i should take this time to "upgrade" to an entry level custom like the LiveWires. The thing really pulling my arm on the 5Pros is that i can get them for so cheap but the fitment of a custom is really the most appealing aspect to me since i had no issue with the SQ of the 5Pros. Will i notice a better SQ from an entry level custom like LiveWire or FreQ, whenever it is that FreQ decide to pop their heads back into the market or should i stay with a mid level Universal IEM that may have better SQ than an entry level custom? Please help me out here. My primary use is for a 3 hour total commute on a noisy train each day and i also live an active lifestyle biking, running, skating, to work each day. Thanks for taking the time!

-paul

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 7
hmm...personally...i would go for livewires, i dont own them, but im thinking about getting some over the summer. i feel that its a good upgrade from what i have now, x10's, but not 100% sure, ill look into it more when the time comes. i also wanted to get into the world of custom IEMS, do i thought livewires would be pretty good choice. since ur comparing it with sf5pros, i would think the livewires would be better. just overall everything. and if the fitment is that appealing, id say just go for it, plus, its a chance to explore more.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Customs are in another league from universals. The fit, the comfort, and the sound quality all drastically improve by the use of custom monitors, and I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who has the money and the guts to get them.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes.

Customs are the best investment I ever made in audio - 100% for me.

The comfort, the background, the not looking like a dork, all make it priceless - plus the SQ doesn't suck either.

The fact that you can go running or tuck on the cable and the IEM stays right where it is and with the same SQ every time makes it a no brainer for me. Plus the pressure levels are substantially smaller IMO.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 7
I find they're great for comfort, really allows you to focus on the music and relax rather than the tips starting to rub after a while with tradition iems.

Plus they're attention grabbers anyway.
biggrin.gif

If you like bass get the livewires, if you want clarity look at sleek customs.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

Customs are the best investment I ever made in audio - 100% for me.

The comfort, the background, the not looking like a dork, all make it priceless - plus the SQ doesn't suck either.

The fact that you can go running or tuck on the cable and the IEM stays right where it is and with the same SQ every time makes it a no brainer for me. Plus the pressure levels are substantially smaller IMO.

i'd say they increase your chances of looking like a dork

that said i've always wanted some customs maybe i'll rub some pennies together and look into getting some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back