Customs or Universal IEMs for a Music Enthusiast ?
Sep 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tejinder

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

I have been visiting this site quiet frequently and after reading the reviews and advice of the experts, I finally decided to sign up.
Now, I am really fond of listening to music almost everyday and am looking for some really good headphones. I am a little confused whether I should get an universal pair of high-end IEMs or should I get Customs ? I live in Germany and the customs are really hard to find here. My budget is up to 700 euros and I listen to almost every type of song regardless of their genre. I am into more of classical, rock, metal and even pop. I like bass but surely I am not a bass head.

After reading the reviews and the lists made up by various experts, I found out that SM3. IE 8, UE triple-fi 10, SE535 and UM3 are best suited for my needs. So my question is whether I should for one of these or a good pair of customs. I am really interested in the UE900s universal and UE 4 pro customs. So I request please take this seriously and help me out.

Thank you
and sorry for making a new thread.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 15
If my math is right that is about $880 USD.

For about $400 you can get an outstanding pair of IEM's.  I would take W3 over all universals you suggest and JH5 seems to be the hands down best custom ever made for the same price minus impressions. I own both of these.  Spend another $100 on an amp and buy some music with the rest.  Or pay off some debt :)

Plunging $880 right into customs could be very risky.  You'd be surprised how well a $400 IEM sounds...and is re-sellable where a custom is not (without losing dramatic value).

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 15
Hi Spyro,
Thanks for the reply. The problem is that every IEM that I mentioned other than the IE8 is more expensive (about a $100) in Germany than In the US. Also if you could please tell what would be the best bet for me, ie which is the best sounding IEM for my music taste ? There are so many universals out there in the market which is really confusing as it is really hard to pick one. Also I would like to know if there is a possibility for a custom mold on these IEMs. Also I won't be selling them, so resale is not an issue.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 15
Find audiologist, get impressions, get JH5 and I GUARANTEE you won't regret it.  Perfect fit and as good a sound as any universal you can purchase.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 15
Okay, so are the JH5 on the more neutral side (they lack bass) or they provide enough bass ? Plus could you please tell me where can i get the impressions and what would be the price for that (I had like a better price) ?

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 15
JH5 are not neutral.  They have plenty bass and have plenty treble and the vocals (midrange) is excellent as well.  It's a big, robust sound.  They may lack a bit of refinement but an amp helps that.  Best dual driver IEM on the planet.  I have owned JH5, JH13 and JH16 and JH5 is the one I still have and listen to everyday. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Find audiologist, get impressions, get JH5 and I GUARANTEE you won't regret it.  Perfect fit and as good a sound as any universal you can purchase.

+1 for the JH5. IMO for the price you're paying the JH5 is a bloody steal. Spectacular comfort, isolation and sound - they do have a bass hump like most JH IEMs though, but it doesn't muddy the mids/highs or anything. And if you're quick enough JH Audio is having a 15% sale  now so that'd be LESS THAN HALF your budget.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks guys for replying back.
But somehow I don't really like the looks of JH5. I mean there are not very convincing as far as the looks go. I visited their website, tried to customize the look in every possible way but they still lag behind their competitors.

So if anyone could advise me some really good looking headphones with some really good sound, it would be great.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Its not about the color of the molds but the faceplate they offer. I was hoping to get the looks somewhat similar to the UEs or the heirs. BTW how is the sound on the AS1 ?

EDIT :

By this I mean that UE and the other offer some really good customization option such as engraved metal face plates and some really nice looking cases which is not the case with the JHs. Also the accessories are very limited. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 15
Okay so now I have made up my mind. I am getting those JH5s regardless of how they look (after all, its all about the sound). So could anyone please explain me the procedure as these will be my very first IEMs. Should I get the impressions or purchase the JHs first ?

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Contact JH support first. You have to pay the price and then get the impressions done as per the instructions you receive from JH Audio. Send them pictures of the impressions (take from multiple angles). Get their confirmation if the impressions look good enough. Send the impressions after confirmation. Then wait begins. Hopefully you will get these within one month of receiving the impression at JH Audio labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back