Customs duties
Apr 19, 2005 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iGory

New Head-Fier
Have any Australians managed to import a pair of expensive head/ear phones and avoid customs duties?

I'm hoping to do such a thing with a pair of Etymotic ER-6i or ER-4p phones.

Cheers,

Igor

Apr 20, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 10
The simplest way to avoid customs is to have the shipper whether its an individual or a company ship the package marked as "gift" with a value no higher than $50 or so and it must be shipped postal otherwise you'll get slammed with brokerage fees from UPS, Fedex, etc.

Apr 27, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Sacrifice the insurance and undervalue it on the declaration and it should get through whilst being marked as gift as said.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The simplest way to avoid customs is to have the shipper whether its an individual or a company ship the package marked as "gift" with a value no higher than $50 or so and it must be shipped postal otherwise you'll get slammed with brokerage fees from UPS, Fedex, etc.

You could do that but it is illegal. There is a 99% chance that you won't get caught but you would be in trouble if customs finds out.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
You could do that but it is illegal. There is a 99% chance that you won't get caught but you would be in trouble if customs finds out.

yeh, you'll be sent to indonesia where the death penalty is imposed for smuggling headphones, and shot. NOT funny.
plainface.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Sacrifice the insurance and undervalue it on the declaration and it should get through whilst being marked as gift as said.

Like I said, I've read the rules and for my current purchasing decision there's no need to get up to any mischief to avoid customs duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back