Customer Service Report: Ultimate Ears by Logitech
Nov 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DukeEllington

New Head-Fier
Last night, after 2 1/2 years of fairly delicate usage, the left canal phone for my beloved Super.fi 5 Pro broke. Basically the female socket on the one can (right) that accepts the removable cord came completely loose, rendering the right canal phone obsolete. It was somewhat discouraging to have these break after a relatively short period following the ending of the warranty, and based on what I had been reading here, braced myself for the worst in terms of Customer Service. That said, I thought I would report my experience here...

Initially, I called UE directly, and was transferred to Logitech customer service in Arizona. After checking the date I had purchased the SF5Pro on Amazon, I was told that they were no longer covered by warranty (as I expected) and that repairing them was not an option, even with my willingness to pay for a repair or replacement to the one right canal phone! After telling them that I found the complete lack of options unacceptable given the price of the product, and reminded them of my willingness to pay a reasonable price for repair or replacement—and only after mentioning "Head Fi"—was I put on hold for a while and finally hung up, once I started feeling forgotten about.

I decided to call back the UE folks that I called initially, and brought them up-to-date. This time, instead of getting transferred, with very little hassle, I was informed that I could replace the headphones for a brand-new pair for 50% off (which I could apply to either the SF5Pro or an upgrade). I decided to get the SF5Pros again for $125. Being that they were only asking for the broken right canal phone back, I am still left with replacement parts; the brand-new cable, a perfectly working left canal phone, cleaning tool, case and the comply tips that I have standing by. Given all of that, the $125 seemed reasonable and they offered Free Shipping and a 1 year warranty.

On the one hand, I would have preferred them not to break, but I have to say that if they arrive as promised (I have no reason to expect they will not), I will be a very happy customer. (However, if they break again in another 2 years, I may need to reconsider another brand.)

I will report back once the package arrives to close the loop. Being that I've been reading some bad things about then state of Customer Service with the new UE ownership, I thought I would provide what I considered to be a very good, albeit not perfect, customer service experience.

I don't think I ever properly burned in my last pair, but did notice that they got better over time. Can someone please tell me what is recommended to properly burn-in a pair of Super.fi 5 Pros quickly?

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Most people would've took that opportunity for an upgrade! But I guess... don't replace what is not broken.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Got the Super.fi 5 Pro today, in less than 24 hours. I guess the moral is to deal with the folks at UE offices and not the big Logitech Customer Service offices, if at all possible.

Thought about upgrading, but am so happy with the 5 Pro, I didn't want to take a chance on not liking the upgrade as much. Even the woman on the phone recommended I stay with the 5 Pros over the Triple Fi 10! (I also have Sony MDR-V6 which I love just as much as the UE.)

Take my experience for what you will. Just wanted to share with the community.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 6
just wanted to say that I had the cable on my triple.fi 10vi's die last week... Pretty simple: right at the base jack that would enter the phone, the wire wore out from extended use.
I had used them for about 4 years, so called UE/LOGI to try to order a replacement. I've owned 2 pairs of UE's and always loved their customer service, and had worried about what the logitech purcahse would mean...
To my surprise, i was initially offered 50% off of any UE product (even expensive customs), and was then offered a free replacement cable.

Just wanted to share a great experience and let anyone who was worried know that UE/LOGI really took care of me with no cajoling or threats required.

So here's a public thanks to the UE / LOGI folks.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 6
Post moved to more recent thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back