CustomCans alternative for DT 770
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sneak310

Head-Fier
I have a pair of DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm. I've had to replace the cable in the past because it was cutting the audio out. The original cable and the newly replaced one have gotten stiff, probably due to being against skin and/or the weather conditions where I live. Because of that I'd like to get custom cabling done on my headphones.

While I like what CustomCans has to offer I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for a cheaper alternative. I've seen some sites but many seem poorly organized and near impossible to find useful information on or like they were made in the 90s so I'm not sure they are even still doing business. Some also cost way more than CustomCans. I was thinking there may be various people on this forum who offer this service or some site people could recommend.

I don't need anything fancy, I just want a detachable cable that won't become stiff. 1.5 meters sounds good and the default threaded 1/4 to 3.5mm jack just like the Beyers normally have. At the very least it should be a standard 1/4", NOT a 3.5mm and I don't want a balanced cable, just a normal one.

I want to get new headphones modded since there are other issues with my current pair. I plan to keep the current ones as backup. It's actually cheaper for me to order a new pair from CustomCans than to buy a new pair and send it in. Whether I need to buy them new from somewhere then send them in or buy them from the cabling service provider isn't important, as long as it's saving money.

CustomCans would charge me $277 then return $42 (because I'm in the US and VAT isn't applicable to me). I'm looking for something that costs less than that. I plan to possibly try out Elite Velour pads from Dekoni as well. I do not want any dampening or other sound modding, just the cable.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 2
It's a lot to get invested in when you could buy another pair and sell them for parts on eBay. The 250 ohm DT770 sounds better, and the DT900 and DT700 I have are really easy to drive. I like the DT900 better though, the 700 is great if treble sensitive.
I just wouldn't put that kind of money into it, the Hifiman he5xx is even better and half the price on eBay with removable cables. I use one daily and it's open back, but really comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back