Custom Wood Enclosures -- Builders' Interest Check
Jun 25, 2002 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
I've been looking around for attractive and functional enclosures for the next amp I plan to build, and I finally found a place that will make high-quality, inexpensive wooden enclosures to the specifications required for most DIY headphone amps. Custom orders, however, have a minimum quantity of fifty units, so it'd be necessary for quite a few of us to be interested in order to have some built.

I contacted the president of Wood Box Works, a company out of western Pennsylvania, and he told me he can build each enclosure for about $9.00 apiece at fifty total, down to about $5.00 each for 500. Those estimates are based on some arbitrary dimensions I gave him, 2" x 3" x 1-1/2" (interior). The cost will not change significantly as long as the dimensions are not considerably different. That cost also includes pre-drilled holes, if wanted.

There is a considerable variety of wood and construction options, as well as finish and imprinting options, and interior options.

If there's any interest, let me know and we can get something going together. I have no idea how many amps guys like tanget, JMT, eric343, and everyone else make, so I don't know if a fifty-box minimum is practical, but let me know.

kerelybonto

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Funny you should mention this, as I've been thinking about a wood case for my next amp. However, I wouldn't order one from these guys. This is a DIY forum! I'll make the case myself!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 6
I gave them a call and they are actually located in eastern PA. (near Reading, PA) The 50 count minimum order is only for custom made boxes. However, they have a number of different pre-fab sizes and models to choose from. The only stipulation is a $25 minimum order (about 3-5 boxes). So if we wanted different woods, stains, or even pre-made styles, that wouldn't be a problem.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 6
However, there are a couple of us that are looking for a home unit only. So extra space inside is actually preferred to fit bigger components, i.e. power caps. Plus, having a beautiful wooden box the size of an Altoid tin on top of one's home system seems counterproductive, at least to me...

Jun 27, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 6
I found an alternate box choice. Call a local high end cigar shop and ask if they have boxes for sale. They may even give them away. Some of the better cigars come in nice hardwood boxes and since the cigars are wrapped, the boxes don't reak much. A local shop in my town sells the empty boxes for $5 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back