Custom WooAudioI pr0n
Apr 30, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #16 of 23
I may be dense for missing it, but what's custom about your amp compared to the stock one?

It looks awesome and I hope it sounds the part. Congrats. Dr. Woo looks like he is in for some serious business and sales now that the word is getting out.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 23
He bought a custom chassis and shipped it to Dr. Woo, who built the amp into the chassis. Also, the wooAudioI normally normally has only 1 rca input and 1 headphone out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I may be dense for missing it, but what's custom about your amp compared to the stock one?

It looks awesome and I hope it sounds the part. Congrats. Dr. Woo looks like he is in for some serious business and sales now that the word is getting out.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 23
You can get preamp out standard on the wooaudioI but the tape out, second preamp out, and 3 extra source inputs and source selector switch are not standard.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #19 of 23
Quick extra impressions before I start my 2 hour commute to school.

Listening to Joshua Bell playing West Side Story Symphonic Suite (SACD) over my 600's, I could hear the pressure he was putting on his strings. That's one stiff bow he has, and nice technique, to make that kind of pressure so smoothly. To clarify, when you put large amounts of pressure on the string, you're going to change its pitch slightly because of the extra tension. He sounded effortless doing this.

Listening to my Berstein Candide Suite (and other stuff) recording from Reference Records, I've never noticed the solo cello's texture being so rich and detailed before. I like it.

I'm also hearing macro dynamics that I'm pretty sure were just plain missing before because some parts of pieces I'm not 100% familiar with are scaring the crap out of me when the timpanist slams his sticks down.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Mr. Woo is sending me one the amp that was used at the recent Chicago meet...should be a blast if what Hajime has been saying is even half true
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey man,

That's neat! I hope that you enjoy it as I did. My impressions were that it has a very balanced sound. It didn't come across as being a 'euphonic' tube amplifier, but rather one that was nicely extended and well-suited to the vocal music I enjoy.

May 1, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 23
I don't feel that it's overly warm and "euphonic" (or distorted, as some would say) either. Now, I've heard people say that the MG Head is one euphonic sucker, but the one time I heard it over at Orpheus's place, I didn't particularly feel it was overly warm, though I didn't get to directly compare it to anything. The wooaudio I may not be an idiomatic tube amp. I don't feel that my speakers have lost their edge.

May 7, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #22 of 23
Update on this guy.

As a preamp, there's a bit of hiss. However, it's VERY power sensitive. During the afternoon when everyone's a/c units are running at full blast, I can hear some hiss from the right channel and gurgling from the left if there is no music playing. Right now, 7:21pm, I don't hear a thing at 3 feet with no music on, I can detect some hiss at 1 foot if I cup my ear.

As a headphone amp, this thing is dead quiet.

I think I've managed to integrate my sub into my system even better now, things are sounding good.

May 7, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #23 of 23
Can I see the schematics of this amplifier? I havent received the sample yet but I have assurance that I will see it before the HeadFi South Florida meet on the 26th of June. I will be taking it to that meet for all the attendees to check out.
I will get plenty of ear time and tuberolling time before the meet though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back