Custom UE-5c's and DACmini
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dwreedii

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody!

I've been checking out the head-fi site for a few years off and on and finally decided to join. I'm currently using custom IEM Ulitmate Ears 5c as headphones hooked up directly to my computer. I use iTunes with a lot of content purchased from the iTunes music store. I've more recently started ripping my cd collection to iTunes as AIFF files. I've considered upgrading with a DAC/headphone amp, would I hear a noticeable difference? I've been reading a lot about the CEntrance DACmini. What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance for any advise you may have.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 6
I've tried the Centrance DACmini CX. It's an enjoyable, musical sound.

A DAC should make a sizeable difference to the headphone-out of your motherboard/laptop as for starters, there should be less noise, if any and more power to the UE drivers. 

Are there any audio stores in your area where you can audition different equipment?

Auditioning before purchasing is always the best way to ascertain how much you should spend and whether "that" $800 DAC is better than the $99 DAC for you. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi dwreedii!

There are definitely many benefits sonically when it comes to upgrading your DAC.

Like 1audioz said, it is hard to say which DAC would be most appropriate for you since everyone has different needs and preferences.

Here is a quote from one satisfied user that was playing AIFF files off itunes, then used a Sonicweld USB to S/pdif converter into the S/pdif input of the DACmini CX.

"When I play an Uncompressed music file (preferably AIFF, as you get the meta-data, or .WAV is fine too) from my Macbook (using iTunes+Amarra) into the Sonicweld Diverter (then using my CEntrance DACmini CX as the outboard DAC) the music, when at its very best, sounds AMAZING - as close to analog as you can get."

Im a product technician here at CEntrance so feel free to send me a message if you have any technical questions.
L3000.gif

-Kenny

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks guys for the responses.

Unfortunately, I live pretty far away from a high end audio store so auditioning isn't really an option for me.

Kenny, you lead into another couple of questions that I've been researching.

1. I'll be using my DAC with an iMac and a MacBook Pro. Both obviously have USB, but they both also have SPDIF. Which should I use to output to the DAC? or is that a personal preference thing?

2. Whats the best software to accompany iTunes? (Amarra, BitPerfect, PureMusic...) At the moment, I'm leaning towards BitPerfect.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks guys for the responses.

Unfortunately, I live pretty far away from a high end audio store so auditioning isn't really an option for me.

Kenny, you lead into another couple of questions that I've been researching.

1. I'll be using my DAC with an iMac and a MacBook Pro. Both obviously have USB, but they both also have SPDIF. Which should I use to output to the DAC? or is that a personal preference thing?

2. Whats the best software to accompany iTunes? (Amarra, BitPerfect, PureMusic...) At the moment, I'm leaning towards BitPerfect.

The only real difference between the USB input and S/PDIF is that USB can only accept up to 96khz sample rate, whereas S/PDIF can accept up to 192khz. The rest comes down to preference.

As for software, it is a bit of preference thing there because all of the ones you mentioned have their own advantages. One other good option is a program called "Play" (http://sbooth.org/Play/) that many have reported to be very efficient and easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Also, feel free to shoot me a PM about the DACmini or any other products, as I can usually get things discounted for fellow head fi'ers.
wink_face.gif

-Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back