wd8.jpg

puri.jpg

1jd2.jpg

blbues.jpg

z1dl6.jpg

1dl10.jpg

1jd4.jpg

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Wow, I can’t believe that no one commented on these?
I figured that I would get at least two responses.

1) Those are very cool.
or
2) Why in the hell would you want that old technology!

I didn’t expect nothing?

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 12
and I thought my 70's Revox was sexy...
those are beautiful

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Ironbuts rig was the best sounding rig in LA....

If it wasn't for the fact I fall asleep all the time with my headphones on, I would consider one of these. The thought of that expensive tape slapping around and around, woops!

I do have a question anyone,,,what do you if you have a balanced amp and wanted to use a reel to reel as a source?

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 12
I used to have a Akai reel to reel back in the day. Oh the memories. Darn thing sounded pretty nice too.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it wasn't for the fact I fall asleep all the time with my headphones on, I would consider one of these. The thought of that expensive tape slapping around and around, woops!

I do have a question anyone,,,what do you if you have a balanced amp and wanted to use a reel to reel as a source?

I have the pro version of this called the PR99II and most pro ones have balanced outputs.
Revox B77 mkII on TVK
reeltoreeltaperecorders1.jpg

Many domestic reel to reels have optical autostop, some even have optical auto reverse. The Technics in the pictures is certainly one of the best ever made and is in many ways the best of both worlds with switchable headblocks so you can play both 4 track and 2 track.

For the uninitiated most old commerical reels are 4 track like cassettes and you flip them over to play the 'B' side whereas professional masters like those form the tape project are 2 track stereo and use the full width of a 1/4" tape in one direction.

It gets more complex still with halftrack mono which is what commercial reels from the '60s and before were recorded in, never mind the various speeds which range from 1 7/8" Inches Per Second (cassette speed) upto 30IPS (for many broadcast masters). Most machines play between 2 and 4 speeds so to cover all the bases you really want a few machines although that Technics is one of the most comprehensive for sure.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 12
They look great. Would make an excellent conversation piece, but it just isn't practical at all.

I mean, at least with turntables, I can walk into a thrift store or find someone on the side of the street selling some eclectic record that needs more love.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look great. Would make an excellent conversation piece, but it just isn't practical at all.

I mean, at least with turntables, I can walk into a thrift store or find someone on the side of the street selling some eclectic record that needs more love.

You could take those vinyl finds and make your own mix tapes....6 hours long and excellent quality!

Ironbut's rig looks to be the same model but not one of these customized pieces. The prices are a little too high for a cosmetically upgraded reel to reel. That said, if I had the money I'd probably get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back