Custom One Pro or the ATH M50x?
Oct 19, 2014 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Connors

New Head-Fier
I can get either for exactly the same price of $158 (the M50x coming with a FiiO E6, the Custom One Pro does not).

For watching Netflix, listening to music on my phone, and playing video games on my gaming laptop, which would you recommend?  This is my first pair of headphones more expensive than $15, and I won't be buying another pair for hopefully a year or more so I want to get it right the first time.

I was totally certain with the M50x; I even ordered it.  I can cancel the order (hasn't shipped yet) and get the COP though, if you think it'd be better for my purposes.  I like getting heavier bass, but I really want clarity to enjoy my 320kbps streaming.  I'll be happy with either, I'm sure.  Just concerned the M50x has NO bass by comparison to what I am used to and that that would reduce my enjoyment.

I've heard that putting the bass ports on the COPs to 1-1.5 would get almost identical sound as the M50x.  That true?

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the M50x and i think it will suit your needs.
Because it has a good bass, good clarity, but small soundstage and a little harsh treble.
Just my opinion.

Thank you. To be honest, your description has basically no meaning to me. Not because it's poorly worded, but because I've never actually heard sound out of good headphones. I've heard (what I guess is) "muddy bass", and its enjoyable when there is a good thump, but I would like to hear other things happening, haha.

I've gone ahead and just left it with the M50x. Hoping I can mess with equalizers to get whatever sound I really want.

Much appreciated reply. If you don't mind telling me in basic what "harsh treble" means for sound, I'd be further appreciative.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Thank you. To be honest, your description has basically no meaning to me. Not because it's poorly worded, but because I've never actually heard sound out of good headphones. I've heard (what I guess is) "muddy bass", and its enjoyable when there is a good thump, but I would like to hear other things happening, haha.

I've gone ahead and just left it with the M50x. Hoping I can mess with equalizers to get whatever sound I really want.

Much appreciated reply. If you don't mind telling me in basic what "harsh treble" means for sound, I'd be further
appreciative.

I recommend that you go to a headphone store which have demos. If you're lucky, you could listen to an expensive headphones like HD800, T1, even K812.
I'm still a noob in this 'audiophille' world. So i can't describe what is a harsh treble. I mean, you have to feel it yourself. And everyone have a different opinion so if it harsh for me, maybe not for you.
Sorry if my answer is still has no meaning to you.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 7
I recommend that you go to a headphone store which have demos. If you're lucky, you could listen to an expensive headphones like HD800, T1, even K812.
I'm still a noob in this 'audiophille' world. So i can't describe what is a harsh treble. I mean, you have to feel it yourself. And everyone have a different opinion so if it harsh for me, maybe not for you.
Sorry if my answer is still has no meaning to you.

All good man. I saved several hundred bucks for the purpose of getting a new mattress (trying to improve my overall well-being) and had some left over. Figured headphones would be a nice treat rather than buying something dumb or loaning it out like I usually do, and it would seem buying a good mattress is a lot like headphones. Unless you can physically experience them, you're kinda just buying and praying it works.

I see nearly perfect reviews for the M50, so I'll just hope it's what it seems. It can't possibly be worse than my Apple buds, it's not like I'm upgrading from something good to begin with. I'm just worried about that occasional review which says the M50 is just too clear/good that it actually sounds worse to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back