Custom moulded tips for Shure E500's
Jul 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

shadesbass

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a set of custom moulded tips for my E500's for a while now, but have just received a new pair, with an added cord to ease removal. My last ones got very loose on the IEMs and kept falling off. I believe this was caused by having to partially remove the IEM from the tip in order to gain enough grip on the tip to remove it from my ear.
Anyway, just thought I'd share some photos of my new tips...
Click for larger versions or go here for slideshow.

It's very difficult to photograph, but the port of the mould is very big. The opening is about 4mm x 3mm at the widest points, compared with 1.5mm and 2.5mm for triple flange and yellow foam sleeves respectively.

The cord is quite microphonic, and it's another thing to stick over my ear, but I'll see how I get on with it. They're certainly much easier to remove now.

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 14
Very cool pics ... I'm also interested in how they affected the sound. The cord from the tips looks like it might be annoying even with it up and over your ear.

Jul 25, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 14
The cord is a little annoying, but I only received them today so I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's better than having to get new tips made every few months!

Sound-wise, I haven't had much of a chance to compare them to the standard tips (went to see Die Hard 4 instead
smily_headphones1.gif
). Initial impressions (if you'll pardon the pun) are that the low frequencies are slightly extended and slightly tighter. Mids and highs are not noticeably different, but I am running them unamped at the moment, so the differences might be more noticeable when I decide on a decent amp (probably the Meier Move as it's had some excellent reviews).
The soundstage appears to be slightly wider, maybe because the E500's now sit slightly further out of my ears.

They are amazingly comfortable, as one would hope! They do sound different (better) than my old custom tips, so I must add that custom tips are not guaranteed to improve the sound as each pair of tips will be different.

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 14
I wonder what effect the port size has on the sound? I also have a pair of custom tips for the e500, and the opening on mine is noticibly smaller than yours.

I thought the lower frequencies were shaper and better defined than they were with the foam tips I had used previously. I thought that might be due to a better seal, as many have commented that a good seal is necessary for the good low frequency expression.

The big plus in my mind was the fit and the comfort. I was always fiddling with the foam tips--in my struggle to find a good fit, I came to the conclusion that my left ear took a different tip than my right.

The question i have now is, do you think that a custom IEM, like a UE10, would sound better than an E500 with custom tips, and if so, why?

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 14
My original custom tips had a much smaller port size too. I haven't listened to them for about 2 weeks so I can't really compare the two I'm afraid.

I also used the foam tips, so it's good to know that someone else feels the same about the low frequency definition. Maybe this is to do with the more solid material of the tip, in addition to the better seal achieved.

Hmm...that's a tricky one. When the E500's first came out they were said to have SQ on par with the UE10's, but having never tried the UE10's myself I can't really back that statement up.
E500's with custom tips are about half the cost of a pair of UE10's, so I think bang for buck, the E500's definitely win. Plus they are resellable.
I still want a pair of UE10/2X-S's though!
The only potential downside of the custom tips route is that the IEMs could rotate in the tips, but they sit so tightly in my new tips that that's very unlikely.

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still want a pair of UE10/2X-S's though!

I noticed the ACS sticker on the side... if you get the urge for full customs, you should consider the ACS T2PROs - they're quite similar in design to the 2X-S and ACS's service is fantastic!

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 14
Yes I had noticed them on the ACS website, but there are a lot more reviews of the Sensa's and UE's, so statistically I'd be more happy getting them. It's good to know you are happy with yours though.

Incidentally, I know that Big D has had the 2X-S's and UE10's shipped over from the US, and I've been in contact with both companies (about unrelated queries) and they were equally prompt and helpful in their replies.

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 14
There's a good review of the ACS T2 here on head-fi, it's even linked to from the ACS site.

One thing I would recommend is to test the correct seal of the tips by playing the sensa test tracks (again you'l find them mentioned here in several threads).

Interesting for me to see as I think ACS made the first set of E500 tips for me as they had to create the mould tool for the first time (or so I was told) and even wanted to borrow my E500s!

Hope you are happy with them as the T2 are a lot more expensive.
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Yeah, I've read that review before. I was just saying that more people have written reviews on the 2X-S's and UE10's, therefore my decision would be better informed by choosing one of those IEMs over the T2's.

I know the seal is good - I am used to wearing IEMs and earplugs. My new tips provide higher attenuation than my Etymotic ER-20 earplugs. Any more attenuation and I'd feel like I was in an anechoic chamber!

I am very happy with them at the moment, I just need a good amp to compliment them. I'm not going to go down the fully custom route for a while - the zero resale value is too risky for me right now.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 14
Where did you order it from?

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko-time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Judging by the markings on the moulds, they were made by Advanced Communication Solutions - www.hearingprotection.co.uk. I *think* they usually sell through audiologists, more info is on their website.

As I'm from Australia, I went to a local audiologist and dealt directly with them.

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko-time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IZCool is correct - I ordered them through my local audiologist, who took my ear impressions and sent them to ACS. PM me if you want my audiologists contact details. I've been extremely happy with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can these be used with ety westone and other ien since the tip is the same???

I believe ACS can make tips for any brand of IEM. I haven't tried my tips with any other IEM, but they are slightly shaped to fit the body of the E500's, so they may not fit other IEMs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back