Custom Molds for Universal IEMs?
Mar 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

GosuEric

Head-Fier
I've been reading a few threads about different IEMs, and keep reading about getting custom molds done for Universal IEMs.

I've got Image X10s, and while I love them, I find them a bit uncomfortable at times. One site I found while reading was Custom Molded Audio Earpieces from AverySound.comCustom iPod Earpiece, Custom MP3 Player Earpiece, Custom CD Player Earpiece, but I'm not sure if anyone's had any experience with them/if they're any good or not.

Does anyone have any recommendations/stories about getting molds for Universal IEMs? I'd prefer if I could get the molds done by a professional audiologist and then send the molds+IEMs to a company and have them apply them for me or whatever, but if it's easy enough to have them send them and do it myself, I wouldn't mind.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 33
Have to say I have done a bit of investigating also but not come across a site with the same quantity of molds for different phones as this one.

Didn't see one for the IE8's though.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 33
Wow. they actually make custom tips for so many consumer headphones.

just spare me, custom tips for ibuds is 1st in the world.

back on topic:
I am on the process of making custom tips for my IE8 from ACS. You definate should check them out and they will make tips for any IEM. Actually, I just had my ear impression taken an hour ago. You could try contact them. They reply my email very quick( within an hour during working hours). Depends where you locate, they should be a top choice. If ACS doesn't have a fit kit for X10, you will have to send it in. So they could look at the shape of the IEM. Else, send in ear impression and they will make the tips,then send it back to you. It fits on like a regular tip.

Advanced Communication Solutions - Cutting edge in-ear technology

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 33
Otto,

If my memory serves, you are having them for the IE7 or 8 aren't you? As I killed my SR325i's recently the customs are on the back burner, but I assume you will be posting about them.....

I can't wait to see how they look with the IE's! Looks as though you will be the 1st on head-fi to go down this route, well done you
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 33
I am sorry to hear that.

I'm making them for IE8 as in my sig. Nocturnal310 is doing it for his IE7 soon.
I could post the pics of the impression for any of you are interested. For sure, updates
will be coming as I progress. I find this infomation is lacking anywhere on the internet.

Hopefully, they look similar to the pics from ACS. I might just go from that clean, simple colour.

Hah. I'm just curious how much I could get from these IE8. Get yours soon!

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 33
Your link interested me ottoyu, until I saw that it was UK only. I live in the US, and from what I read they don't ship / make molds for the US. If they do though, prove me wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

And as a bit of a side question, is there a benefit in getting one of those dock audio outs? I assume they're better if you've got an amp to power your headphones, and I wouldn't mind doing that if the price was right.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 33
Hey. I'm in Canada and they seems to offers int'l orders as long as you pay shipping. Send them a email, I'm sure they have no problems with it.

Those are called LOD (line-out dock). which are common on ipods. LOD offers better SQ than HP-out on Ipods. Depends on your setup.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 33
Currently I'm unamped, but I'd really like to get a nice portable set up. I read a thread a few days ago by HeadphoneAddict (I think) who reviewed like 10 amps + 10 IEMs, but I can't find it anymore.

Cool that they offer international shipping. I'll be sure to check that out. Seems like a lot of Senn IE7/8 owners are going to use them too, so they seem like a great choice.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 33
Yes, sereval IE series owners are planning to get from ACS.

as stated previously by SpudHarris, these custom tips are soft slicon and very comfortable. I don't any well known custom tips makers except Westone UM56.

What's your source currently?

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 33
Otto,

just checked on ACS and they are only an hour from where I live. They don't do the impressions themselves though. When I can raise the funds I'll get that done locally.

What colour are you going for?

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 33
Cool. you saved a lot of time and money living in that location.

I want to keep the looks of the IE8. nothing outstanding. I like it clean and simple.

Prob. choosing clear.

Quote:

I've got an ipod touch 2nd gen --> V0 MP3 --> Image X10.

many amps will work for you, depends on your favour of sound.

try doing a search over at portable amp section. I'm sure there's enough "going- amp" thread, at least I made one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back