Custom Molds For ER-4P and e5c
Jan 21, 2004 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cmascatello

500+ Head-Fier
I have been cruising these forums for almost a year now and have been trying to avoid the buying bug that seems to inflict all that come here.

I have had a set of ER-4Ps (with conversion cable) for nearly a year now. I love these phones and do not have much of an issue with fit or comfort -- I use the foamies (uncut) and am in love with the clarity and neutrality of the sound.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I have been reading a number of the recent comparisons between the Etys and the e3c and noticed that the e5c is eventually brought up in these reviews as the "gold standard" that the e3c is shooting for. I became enamored with the more "urgent" sound of the e5cs and the potential of a less sterile and more bass-filled alternative to the 4Ps. This is not to say that I want to replace the 4Ps; rather, I want something that will complement the harder rock music I listen to. A nice change form time to time. So...

I splurged and bought the e5cs a week ago and they arrived today. The difference in sound is noticeable between the Shure's and the Etys -- I am not sure which I prefer right now, but I can say that the Shure's seem to be everything that has been advertised.

I have been toying with the idea of getting custom molds done for a few months now. I fly quite a bit (150K+ Miles last year) and am always looking for a little more isolation in my earphones. I have searched the forums here for thoughts, recommendations, comparisons, etc. and feel like I have more questions now then when I first started. Lindrone's review of the e5c with all of the tips (customs included) was great help and I did some further research after reading it. It seems that two vendors are the most commonly used for custom molds and there seems to be a difference in the materials and shape/footprint of each:

SENSAPHONIC: This is the vendor that Shure links to from their website. They make molds for the e5c and, as I am to gather from the forums, the ER-4P as well. These seem to be similar to the pliable "full-ear" covering monitors that musicians use.

WESTONE: I found that Westone actually has particular custom mold styles for both the ER-4P and the e5c (#34 for Ety, #56 for the e5c). This also seems to be a smaller mold footprint and, according to Lindrone's post, is made of a harder material that sounds a little better than the Sensaphonic.

I would appreciate any help or input that might be offered before I go down this road. I am debating comfort, cost, sound quality, isolation, etc.. Please feel free to share your experiences with either manufacturer's custom molds for either the Etys or the Shures. Additionally, any input on other vendors or ideas is equally welcome.

Thanks in advance....

Feb 3, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 5
me too, me too!

I was using the search function just for this information! I too am looking for custom earmolds for the Ety's or Shure's. I already use custom-molded musician earplugs when I fly (I'm the one in the very front seat.) I like those very much and wondered how the sound would change by using them on these types of earphones.

All experienced parties please reply!!

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 5
I bought custom earmolds for Shure E2's (I have Ety 4Ps now), and it IMHO isn't worth the money. They were very comfortable, but destroyed the sound (granted, E2's are probably not the best phone to be getting earmolds for in the first place).

I would caution you dropping a $100 on these--if you've got money to burn, give it a shot, but if not, I wouldn't waste it on these--I think you'll probably be disappointed.

Feb 4, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, of course as soon as I finished posting I saw lindrone's great review not only custom fitted earmolds, but also the whole Shure line. Thanks for the info!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back