Custom Molded Earpieces for UE Super/Triple.fi IEM from AverySound
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Will!
So it looks like they do sit a little bit more flush to the head when flipped? But the difference doesn't seem to be as big then with the universal tips...

Correct. Not much of a difference. I tried them both to find which one felt better (as I like the cables routed behind the ears), so that it what I would recommend you do as well if you get these.

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 27
After some discomfort, AverySound has worked with me to make a new set of ear impressions, but this time, we agreed to have an audiologist make the impressions. I had my appointment today ($25 was my total), and I now have significantly deeper impressions to send back to the lab.

If you remember from my first post, the initial impressions made at home where fairly shallow, and contributed to not the best seal possible:
IMG_3401.JPG

The new ones are much deeper in comparison:
IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

The audiologist also commented that given the very narrow shape of my ear canals, that it made sense that none of the universal tips fitted well since they all presume a "round" ear canal, which I obviously don't have. She agreed that custom pieces were going to be the best thing in my particular case.

I had the UE instructions with me, but she stated that for these custom tips, a normal close mouth impression was fine. If I were to do a full custom IEM, then the open mouth impression would make more sense. I decided to trust her - lets see how these turn up
biggrin.gif

Another interesting point is that she is "very" familiar with custom ear pieces, but "not" for music, but rather for hearing aids. She knew all about the 3D methods to create a mold out of these impressions, and in fact she deals with the folks from Westone as her main lab:
IMG_4146.JPG

Will

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 27
The new tips came in today from the good folks at AverySound. They are much deeper and the fit is much nicer as well. The isolation now is HUGE compared to the first set, and the bass is now strong as it should be. Here are the new tips already installed in my Triple 10's, first without cables:
IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

and now with cables installed:
IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

and finally a few pictures of these in my ears - note that I am using the drivers "reversed" or the left driver in the right ear as they fit better and protrude less than before - another improvement in the new tips!:
IMG_4208.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

I will start again wearing them a little bit at a time, but so far these fit "much" better than before. I will report in a few days :)

Will

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new ones are much deeper in comparison:
IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

The audiologist also commented that given the very narrow shape of my ear canals, that it made sense that none of the universal tips fitted well since they all presume a "round" ear canal, which I obviously don't have. She agreed that custom pieces were going to be the best thing in my particular case.

I had the UE instructions with me, but she stated that for these custom tips, a normal close mouth impression was fine. If I were to do a full custom IEM, then the open mouth impression would make more sense. I decided to trust her - lets see how these turn up
biggrin.gif

Another interesting point is that she is "very" familiar with custom ear pieces, but "not" for music, but rather for hearing aids. She knew all about the 3D methods to create a mold out of these impressions, and in fact she deals with the folks from Westone as her main lab:
IMG_4146.JPG

Will

Am I the only one that thinks those look like female external parts? Can you say female genitalia on this forum?

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 27
Same here
biggrin.gif

(I think specially due to the color!)

The good thing is that the new plugs being "clear" take those images away, plus the new/better fit means I can truly concentrate on the music
wink.gif

Will

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #23 of 27
i highly, highly don't recommend ANY ear impression scheme that involves doing it yourself. especially when they don't give you otoblocks to block off your ear canal when making the impression -- very, very unsafe.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshambro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i highly, highly don't recommend ANY ear impression scheme that involves doing it yourself. especially when they don't give you otoblocks to block off your ear canal when making the impression -- very, very unsafe.

That was exactly what my audiologist said when she did my 2nd set of impressions (the first one being the one I did myself). She said that ripping out your eardrums while removing the impressions was a real possibility if you did not know what you were doing.

Given that this second set of custom tips (based on impressions by a professional audiologist) fits much better, I have to agree with joeshambro in that dealing with an audiologist will not only be safer, but the end result will most likely be better as well
biggrin.gif

Will

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 27
how does these costume compared to fisher hearing?

fisher hearing cost are 80 + 20 for cables + 12 shipping + ear impression avg around 50. total for about 162.

how much does it cost from the place OP got them?

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickooz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does these costume compared to fisher hearing?

fisher hearing cost are 80 + 20 for cables + 12 shipping + ear impression avg around 50. total for about 162.

how much does it cost from the place OP got them?

I only have a custom set made by the late FreQ company (I have the tripple driver model), and comparing these two is hard, since these custom tips are soft, while the FreQ's are hard - different fit altogether. Still, I prefer the hard shell from the FreQ and I feel that they seal better and give me better sound, specially the base/low frequencies.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back