Custom Made Headphones
Mar 7, 2011 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DefQon

Headphoneus Supremus

Hey all just before I post my work-log and what my custom DIY made headphones look like and the specs of drivers used etc....

I need help with some required ear pads with the following (below) dimensions. Its just a two minute drawn figure in MS Paint, so would anyone have a clue as to what can's or place I can get these ear pads from with the right or approx  measurement.

Thanks

THREAD V.1: Note I will be editing this daily.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks but I just check the prices for the hd650 earpads from senn replacement acessories, doesn't look cheap. Would be great if someone with the cans measure the length and width from side to side....I don't have these cans no more but from memory I think the 650 pads were bit bigger

Thanks

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 6
ohh man...now I wanna do this!!! :D How much did it end up costing you? (and of course, how do they sound?)

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
ohh man...now I wanna do this!!! :D How much did it end up costing you? (and of course, how do they sound?)

$5 atm, because I've only bought a Neutrik 3.5mm plug and still waiting for it to be shipped here. Once I receive the Neutrik plug, I will be recabling these phones along with 1/8 mono-variant braiding. The headphone housing and band was from a good looking $60 headphone I bought from way back in the day, took out the drivers, made the driver hole housing to 45mm to fit my other salvaged drivers albeit very good ones along with some mods I've done on them. Its using some cheap stock cable atm which will be replaced. I've sanded down the housing's from the previous silver to plain sanded black using the final 800 watersoaked grit sand paper, will be spray painting it matte black but then with enamel coating (which don't come cheap $18-20 a can) so it turns out with a shiny Piano black finish along with protection from fingers and scratches. Then I'm going to be making a custom cushion pad wrapped nicely with black sheepskin leather so it goes comfortable on the head.

As for the sound, without the housing and just the drivers on my ears with no isolation, the soundstage is very wide (thanks to the mod link noobfiikt linked on my other thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod). The drivers were from a old studio monitor headphone can't remember the brand but they have been burnt in well over 2000hours, and so the drivers been moved to a new headphone housing along with other mods. I still need to do some mods to the housing for the driver because it sounds very distant and hollow with the drivers fitted in it. These headphones clearly have more bass then my UR40 which is also extremely modded, in terms of bass atm, I can compare them to the SR60 using the vent mod, plenty of bass, no sign of it interrupting the other mids/highs and not muddy at all.

As for the total cost spent on right now and (soon)

$5 Neutrik 3.5 mm jack
Free - 45mm burnt in drivers
Free - Heaps of leather (using black lambskin for this one)
Free - Headphone housing
Free - Using Cat5 cable or maybe some pure silver 22awg lying around somewhere?

Soon
$18-20 enamel coating spray for all purposes
$8.50 Matte Black spray
$13.00 8metre roll of 1/8 monofilament variant braid
$? Earpads (stock ones don't fit snuggly on your ears so decrease % of isolation/soundleak)

Total
Less then $50

Enough yapping from me.....more pics soon...just need the time...gonna start uni (college) in less then a week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back