Custom JH/UE or HF5 foam: which is best for sound isolation.
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cougar_hook

New Head-Fier
Okay, today I got my Etymotic HF5 and the sound isolation is freaking awesome, with the foam of course.

These are the HF5's isolation specs.
---Noise isolation: 35- 42 dB (depending on eartip used) I tested the 3 flanged and the foams it came with, the foams won for best sound isolation. Yes, I know how to properly create a seal in my ear canal, lol.

NOW

JH Audio and Ultimate Ears custom IEMs don't have the most friendly return policy, so before I spend more than $400 for customs, how's the sound isolation?

These are the tech specs for JH and UE customs.
Our Ultimate Ears 18 Pro Custom Monitors provide -26 dB of isolation and passive noise cancellation. JH Audio custom IEMs have 26 isolation as well.

These tech specs for isolation from the customs look like crap compared to the HF5s.

Here is my problem, I don't want to buy foams and filters for my HF5s every week, because I use my headphones more than 16hrs per day. And yes I know that the tech specs for each IEM tells how much it isolates, but I'm hoping that the custom IEMs isolate more sound because of its custom design, I don't know. I'd like to get this clear from someone in here.

Short version of this thread:

If anyone has tried the HF5s isolation and either JH Audio or Ultimate Ears custom IEMs, please tell me which one blocks out more environment noise.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really sure about hf5's foam, but my JH isolates better than shure se530 with yellow foam.

WOW

Look at the Shure isolation tech spec promises:
Shure Virtual Sound Lab

They say they can reduce 30-37 dB with isolation, which is very, very close to the HF5s tech specs for isolation. And foam isolates the most compared to the 3 flanges and that other crap mushroom shaped eartip.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 8
thats pretty exaggerated. technically shure isolates much more... but i'm speaking from my own experiences of spending 2~3hours on commuting everyday in one of the world's noisiest train systems in new york city.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 8
If you want customs with better isolation relative to other customs, look for ones made out of silicone instead of the acrylic material most are. I believe sensaphonics makes silicone shelled customs.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Oh yeah, I see Sensaphonics silicone IEMs promising -37dB of noise blocking.

This is good, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

ALSO, nycdoi, do you mean you spend hours in the train station using your custom JH IEMs? And the JHs block more noise than the Shure in the train station.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pussaybanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, I see Sensaphonics silicone IEMs promising -37dB of noise blocking.

This is good, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

ALSO, nycdoi, do you mean you spend hours in the train station using your custom JH IEMs? And the JHs block more noise than the Shure in the train station.

yes, i had shure with yellow foams in the past too.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 8
U gotta know IEM with big isolation is not the best IEM, cause isolation is only
depens on How big your volume is and eartips high.. If the eartips is so high/long its must be produce good isolation.. But if it to deep, its not comfortable..
So the best choice is custom IEM..
And let me tell you that if IEM has to much isolation, and you can't hear anything.. And its not good example you're in the building listen to IEM and there's fire.. So the best one is an IEM with not biggest isolation.. I think JH 16 will be perfect.. Even it have not the biggest isolation, but think the isolation is perfect.. Not to big
not to small, its perfect.. And SQ dont ask me, simpy
amazing, just buy it and see by your self..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back