Custom ipod bodys?
Jul 22, 2011 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xaero252

New Head-Fier
So heres the skinny, I have a recently rockboxed iPod classic 160gb that I am putting a 256gb SSD in (I got it cheap enough to justify it for me). The problem is I have had this iPod for a little over 5 years now, and its starting to show its age, the front bezel paint is starting to chip due to a lack of case (I had a hard case for a long time, but that too fell apart) and the back panel is completely scratched to hell, and I have buffed it to a mirror shine about 4 times now. Are there any aftermarket body kits available for iPods?
I suppose it would help to mention mine is a FIRST generation iPod Classic. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Yes, there are several 1.8" ZIF interface SSD's utilizing MLC nand chips. There are also a lot of newer 1.8" SSD's being manufactured up to 256gb (rumored 500gb drives soon) using micro-sata, which are supposedly going to be in the new Macbook Air series. If you look on ebay you can easily find the ZIF ones, but the price isn't cheap there, they ask around $500 for a 256gb ssd. I got this one used from a friend, for much cheaper than that. I've been googling a lot and it looks like theres a lot of stock case replacements, but no custom ones, so if I do decide to go the custom route its gonna have to be entirely hand crafted =\ I think the SSD will be a welcome upgrade though, increased capacity, no platters to scratch or heads to crash, better battery life (not that mine has low battery life) and gapless playback for all songs.

The 128gb drives are somewhat affordable on a normal budget at retail price. 

256gb 1.8" Zif drives:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=256gb+1.8+zif&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_odkw=256gb+1.8&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
28gb 1.8" Zif drives:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=128gb+1.8+zif&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_odkw=256gb+1.8+zif&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 8
I would love to have a ssd hdd but I just can't justify the price per gb. I'll just wait a couple years when they become more popular and the price drops.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 8
Zammykoo, this person did a wood Ipod Mini case a few years ago, maybe if you contact him he could do a classic case for you. He is not in the states though so that may or may not be a problem.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ilounge-reader-creates-all-wood-ipod-mini-accessories/

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 8
i think a wooden ipod case would look good for about a minute, utterly impractical

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 8
I figured I should update this thread, DO NOT PURCHASE the SSD's linked here, they are regular ZIF hard drives and the ipod classic only supports CE-ZIF drives.

I think the 5th gen /5.5th gen ipod use regular zif (don't quote me on this)
Here is a comparison shot of the two connectors (left is stock drive, right is the SSD)
I'm trying to find a spec sheet on CE-ATA and ZIF to see if I can hack together an adapter of some kind.

After some further research it seems it may be compatible with the iPod classic afterall.
The 160gb model's hard drive is UNIQUE to that model. However all iPod classics share the SAME logic board. The smaller models have a ZIF connector like that shown on the right.
The difference is really the cable that connects the hard disk to the iPod logic board

160gb ribbon:

Lower capacity ribbon:

The smaller side of the low capacity ribbon has 18 contacts, the PCB side of the 160gb model also has 18 contacts, given that all iPod Classic's share the same PCB, and most of the extra contacts are either terminated or shorted in that ribbon cable, I believe I should be able to use the other cable with no problems.
I am purchasing the lower capacity ribbon in the hopes that it will work, I will report back to this thread upon receipt with my conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back