Custom in ears or sennheiser ie 80 !! Need your help please !!!
Feb 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Singhisking2011

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm debating whether to get the ie80s or custom in ear. Don't mind how much to spend as long as I get the best all my music is AAC/mp3 256kbps or 320kpbs the only thing is I will only really be listening from my iPhone. Pleads help people i would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 30
Although customs will definitely benefit from the use of an amp, there is no comparison in my experience between the two even without an amp. Customs are "better" and if especially you don't have a budget, you can really go after some top tier customs that will definitely sound better than any universals in my opinion. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 30
Good luck, there are many options for customs. I'd highly recommend you to do lots of research before investing though as they will have a low resell value (other than Heir Audio products since they have the $70 ownership transfer service). Most people here generally listen to many universals to know what sound signature they are looking for before moving onto customs. 

Here's an excellent thread with lots of reviews and useful information. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 30
Looks like the Unique Melody Merlin may be for you. 
wink.gif
  They've got big bass, huge soundstage, great mids that are not recessed, and crisp yet non-fatiguing highs. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 30
I will recommend to try Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, Sennheiser IE80 for wide open soundstage, good punchy bass and great mids, highs details.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 30
I have the IE8's and have finally gone down the custom route with a set of UERM's.

To my mind and ears there really is no comparison with the sound quality of the two, the UERM's are better in all areas except the sound-stage, which is the IE8's (and I assume its also true of the IE80) great strength.

The UERM's are not as bass light as I was lead to believe, but if you do like stronger bass, I'm sure that there would be plenty of options in the custom marketplace according to what I have read here.

This isnt a pitch for the UERM,  just saying  that if you have the money then I think customs are the way to go, as long as you are very sure what you are looking for,  its a very expensive mistake if you dont like them after you get them.

Steve

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 30
Well,

I'm from New Zealand, so there are a lot of exhange rate issues.  I ended up spending around $2,000 NZ dolllars, but that did include impressions and shipping.

I ordered mine through the New Zealand agents for Ultimate Ears.  The service I got from them was great!

I suspect that it would be a bit cheaper from other countries though (no matter which customs you go for).

I've tried lots of "top tier" universals and  I have enjoyed the experience of finding out what I really like,  but with the benefit of hindsight I wish I had just bought the bullet and bought customs earlier.

With the amount of money I've spent on universals, I could have paid for the customs about 3 times over :)

Steve

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 30
I have a pair of IE8s, personally i don't think they're worth getting at the relatively high prices, for me customs are definitely better (i have the acs t1) but are not so convenient, i like to stick them in my pocket while i'm not listening. Unique Melody sounds very interesting considering the price, but something like jh16 seems like a safe option. Bass impact wise, customs usually win with their better fit.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 30
Ah thank you so much guys I'm really gearing towards getting some I may Also get some more funds by selling my beats pros as solos. Right which one should I go for ue 18, unique melody, jh16 any other great ones people say jh16 haven't heard much on ue18 what would you people say let me know please guys. Plus I will mainly use on my iPhone and maybe invest in an amp later or get a better music source any ideas

Thanks

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
Anyone know anything about the um miracle
Thanks

I can't speak for the other customs because I haven't heard them, but there are many who has heard the Miracle and found it bass light for their tastes. It really comes down to preferences, but I can assure you that the Merlin is the more 'fun' and "bassy" pair of the two. The Miracle is flatter across the spectrum and it is very likely you will find it bass light. To put the words of one of my friends whose ears I trust, he said that the Merlin is like the IE80/FX700 on steroids. I would definitely agree and after hearing the Merlin, no universals are good enough anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back