Custom In-Ear Monitors: Audiologists and Brands
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

FatmanSize48

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I am interested in buying a pair of custom iems, but I have a few questions about them. First of all, what exactly would I tell an audiologist if I want a mold of my ears for IEMs? Also, do you guys think 14 is too young for custom IEMs? I am concerned that if I buy a pair now, they will only fit me for a year or two. Last, but definitely not least, but what brands/models do you prefer? I have around a $450 budget for the IEMs themselves. I would be using these straight from my iPod Classic 7th gen, even though I have a Fiio E11 amp...
Thanks!

I'm not fat....(I'm size 27)

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 26
Yes 14 is too young for customs. Your ears are still changing too much.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 26
1. You ask for an ear impressions for custom IEMs. 
2. Yes 14 is way too young for customs, I don't even know if they'd last a year. 
3. For $450, you can choose from 1964 Ears, Kozee, JH5, or Westone's cheaper models. Check out average_joe's thread for more info. 

Again, you should probably wait.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 26
I guess I'll have to wait, but at least I can add some more money to my audio budget. For about $550, what kind of IEMs would you recommend? I prefer phones with, well, similar sonic properties of the AKG 702 with a little punchier bass. Also, these IEMs need to look as good as they sound-remember that I am 14 and don't want to be made fun of for having ugly as $#!T IEMs. Also, thanks for the replies on the custom IEMs.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 26
Shure se535 would be an option, westone 4 another.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 26
wow 14 year old with customs already.... not worth it yet, get customs at least when you're 18 or 19. you will be refitting those shells every year but i guess you have the money then no problem. Or just go high end universals.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 26
I'd go with high end universals for now. You'll be satisfied, I promise. I'm starting to look into customs now at 18. My endeavors started at 12 though with Shure E4gs. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 26
Even more mystery is how 14 yos these days have so much >_< anyways I totally recommend a Etymotic ER-4 PT package, no need to worry about amps and stuffs like that. You could also consider as others have said Westone 4R, Shure's 535.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 26
Haha who knows, kids nowadays just have so much to spend. Another great IEM would be the Westone Um3x. W4 is more neutral or some might consider it boring. Um3x is more dynamic and energetic.

Quote:
Even more mystery is how 14 yos these days have so much >_< anyways I totally recommend a Etymotic ER-4 PT package, no need to worry about amps and stuffs like that. You could also consider as others have said Westone 4R, Shure's 535.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
I guess I'll have to wait, but at least I can add some more money to my audio budget. For about $550, what kind of IEMs would you recommend? I prefer phones with, well, similar sonic properties of the AKG 702 with a little punchier bass. Also, these IEMs need to look as good as they sound-remember that I am 14 and don't want to be made fun of for having ugly as $#!T IEMs. Also, thanks for the replies on the custom IEMs.

My opinion of "good looking IEMs" may be different than yours as I like my IEMs simple and clean. Are you referring to "flashy" IEMs such as the Miles Davis Tributes/Trumpets, Dunu Hephaes etc?

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 26
I wouldn't worry about flashy, or cool looking, just make sure it doesn't look bad. Most good IEM's don't look bad at all. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
haha something that stands out and catch peoples eyes....In Ear BEATS.

Those are da bomb. Me gotsta have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back