Custom IEMs?
Jul 11, 2015 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vanhiel

New Head-Fier
Hey all,  I'm looking to upgrade my portable setup since I use it for like 8-10 hours a day and an iPod Classic with RE-400s is a pretty sorry setup when compared to my at home gear.

To be honest, I've never been too happy with IEMs.  I dunno if my ears are just a odd size or what but I seem to either not get a good seal or their too tight and uncomfortable.  The closest I've gotten to comfortable is using Comply foam iso tips, but they don't even last a month with how much listening time I put on them... So that's not a very good deal.

So I got thinking about the custom fit IEMs I've seen.  And I'm wondering do they really improve comfort?  To the point of not really feeling like you have something jammed into your ear like you in fact do?  Since their custom made for your ears I'm hesitant to get any since if I don't like them I'm kinda stuck with them.

So I'm looking for thoughts from other users.  Thanks!

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 12
The issue with customs is it is somewhat difficult to install and especially remove them in places like work or on the go.  I find myself only utilizing mine at home when I really need the isolation or want to do some serious comparing.

Perhaps a good isolating pair of headphones or even a noise-canceling can?

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 12
  The issue with customs is it is somewhat difficult to install and especially remove them in places like work or on the go.  I find myself only utilizing mine at home when I really need the isolation or want to do some serious comparing.

Perhaps a good isolating pair of headphones or even a noise-canceling can?

Ease of putting them in and taking them out is something that didn't even cross my mind.  Since I do have to talk with people / use the phone a bit at work that is fairly important.  Thanks for bringing that point up!  I would actually think it would be easier to put them in / remove them from your ears since they are custom fit!

While more of a pain to travel with with a pair of closed backs may be the way to go.  I have used my Grados in the past and it wasn't too horrible to travel with them.  And while the open back was nice so I could talk with people while they were on, HVAC systems really ruin musical enjoyment! lol

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 12
Assuming you get good impressions made, CIEMs have literally no fatigue.  I don't even them feel in my ears after a couple minutes.  Putting them in and taking them out is a simple half twist.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 12
I think with customs, it can be hit or miss, and it is important to know when to pursue a different avenue.  When I was ordering my Heir 8.a, I read numerous reports about customs having the perfect fit.  However, when I got mine, it was always uncomfortable.  I went to multiple audiologists to get different impressions, so I don't think it was the quality of the impression. Overall, I sent ear molds in and had my ear phones remolded for 2 years before I gave up, and had my 8.as molded to universals.  Wish I did it earlier and I could have saved a boat load on impressions and shipping back and forth.  

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 12
Try the westone star tips if they can be used with the Hifiman. I use these on the Shure SE846 and Shure SE535. Excellent comfort and seal. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the replies guys!

Some different opins on how customs fit.  And I'm thinking since I've never been a fan of IEMs or even earbuds for that matter, getting a set of customs likely isn't the way to go for me.

ubs28 - I'm not sure they'll fit the RE-400, from looking at the pics the center holes on the star tips seem much smaller than the barrel on the 400s.  But for $15 it may be worth a try.

Thanks again everyone.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 12
  I think with customs, it can be hit or miss, and it is important to know when to pursue a different avenue.  When I was ordering my Heir 8.a, I read numerous reports about customs having the perfect fit.  However, when I got mine, it was always uncomfortable.  I went to multiple audiologists to get different impressions, so I don't think it was the quality of the impression. Overall, I sent ear molds in and had my ear phones remolded for 2 years before I gave up, and had my 8.as molded to universals.  Wish I did it earlier and I could have saved a boat load on impressions and shipping back and forth.  

Did you have the mother company (If I type those four letters, I fear my computer will explode) make your 8A's into a Universal? I have wondered if that was an option....

(Of course, I could always email them - but I fear that if I make contact, my connection to Head-Fi might be terminated)

As for customs in general, I find them easier to remove and install quickly than universals - and they do disappear in your ears and it feels like the music is just inside your noggin.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 12

Did you have the mother company (If I type those four letters, I fear my computer will explode) make your 8A's into a Universal? I have wondered if that was an option....

(Of course, I could always email them - but I fear that if I make contact, my connection to Head-Fi might be terminated)

As for customs in general, I find them easier to remove and install quickly than universals - and they do disappear in your ears and it feels like the music is just inside your noggin.

Yeah.  After we had sent impressions and the product back and forth for 1.5 years I told them its time to cut losses and that I wanted to remold them to universal.  There was a 150 remolding charge though.  However, I believe the basic remolding charge is 100? I had some custom work done.  You also have to pay 55 for shipping to US...so on top of the cost of the ciem, I paid 205 to have them remolded and shipped to me in universal form.

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 12
How often, as in hours a day, do you all use your CIEMs?

I barely use mine anymore because it is a little pain putting them in and taking them out each time I need my hearing for outside use.  Get a phone call gotta take them out.  Need to talk to a work colleague...take them out again.  The seal is so tight that this can hurt your middle ear not to mention the pressure on the outer ear after repeatedly fiddling with your ears.  Just my experience.  It is not about ease of taking them out and putting them in.  It is more about how the ear reacts each time one does this and how often this must be done due to distractions.

If you plan on using them in a scenario where you will not / cannot be bothered for hours at a time then they are a good solution.  Then again, if you are not being bothered why not use a headphone where you can easily remove them in case of an external distraction / communication need?

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 12
  How often, as in hours a day, do you all use your CIEMs?

I barely use mine anymore because it is a little pain putting them in and taking them out each time I need my hearing for outside use.  Get a phone call gotta take them out.  Need to talk to a work colleague...take them out again.  The seal is so tight that this can hurt your middle ear not to mention the pressure on the outer ear after repeatedly fiddling with your ears.  Just my experience.  It is not about ease of taking them out and putting them in.  It is more about how the ear reacts each time one does this and how often this must be done due to distractions.

If you plan on using them in a scenario where you will not / cannot be bothered for hours at a time then they are a good solution.  Then again, if you are not being bothered why not use a headphone where you can easily remove them in case of an external distraction / communication need?

This is a really good point, my ears take different size tips but the left doesn't fit right and I really do everything in my power not to take that one out since it seals so tight it can pressurize my ear if I'm not careful... And that hurts which is I'm sure not good for the eardrum.  And I wish I could go hours without having to use the phone or talk to a coworker, it would make my job so much simpler! lol

I suppose "perfect" fit means really good seal and potential suction cup effect and that wasn't something that had popped into my mind previously.

And thanks to everyone for all the thoughts.  It's been quite helpful reading them all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back