Custom IEM's...So many to choose from, where to start?
Mar 15, 2015 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NotaLefty

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting some custom IEM's, but I don't know where to start. The main companies I know of are Heir Audio, Noble Audio, Ultimate Ears, 1964 Ears, and JH Audio. How do I know which company to go with? What makes them different from each other? Someone please point me in the right direction! 

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 16
Each company has a range of ciems that go from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.  It is better for you to decide your budget first, then we can help you with suggestion within that range.  Also try to state what kind of sound are you looking for and how are you planning on driving the ciem will also help.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 16
yeah, the two things you need to know off the bat is what is your budget and your preferred sound signature.  the sound signature is arguably more important because it allows you to hone in on companies and models, since most companies have a "house sound" of which their models are variants of.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm in similar situation...  budget is pretty open.. but I don't want to spend more than £500 ($750), prefer V-signature/fun and also prefer European maker to avoid import taxes...

Cosmic Ears CE3W looking likely

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 16
I have four CIEMs and after assorted experiences my primary consideration (even before sound quality) is CUSTOMER SERVICE.  CIEMs are a potential pain in the butt.  There is a high percentage chance you'll be dealing with a refit or technical difficulty.  I strongly suggest you choose a company with rapid and responsive customer service.

In my experience The Custom Art and Clear Tune Monitors have earned my respect for service.  JH Audio wasn't bad once I got them on the phone, but don't expect to solve a problem on-line.  Unique Melody was a nightmare to deal with and the final product was beyond disappointing.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Hey guys, thought I'll join in. I'm also just getting into custom iems because I'm pretty tired of trying tips that don't fit.
Anyway, my strongly preferred sound signature is flat, neutral, clarity, with outstanding detail. Would the custom fitted ER4S be a good choice? Or would I be better off with another fully molded CIEM in the 400 range?
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Hmmmm

Just spring for a V6-Stage and get in the queue as soon as possible! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 16
  Haha I really wish I could! It's pretty pricey though :frowning2:

Is there anything in the ~$400 range that outdoes the custom molded ER4S?

The Alclair Reference @ $399?  They offer an upgrade path as well if you ever decide you want to take it up a notch.

http://alclair.com/product/reference/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Just auditioned some of the Alclair CIEM's. Ended up buying a Reference on the spot. Now the wait begins!

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 16
Oh wow nice! I'm jealous! I've decided to shrink my budget a little so I'm looking at the Custom Art Music One. Can anyone comment on their performance to price ratio or how it compares to others in general? Thanks!

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 16
  Oh wow nice! I'm jealous! I've decided to shrink my budget a little so I'm looking at the Custom Art Music One. Can anyone comment on their performance to price ratio or how it compares to others in general? Thanks!

Have you read Joker's review of it? He does some very useful comparisons so you might want to check it out. The general consensus is that it is an awesome value and competes well with similarly priced universals. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 16
The music one is a great little headphone - but there is no way to get around the fact that it is a single BA - and is thus (IMO) limited in what it can reproduce in comparison to multi-driver customs - Now I know there are $1K Final Audio IEMs with single drivers and Ortofons with single drivers, yada yada yada - But I still found the Music One to be a little thin and strident in its presentation - to be expected of an inexpensive single-BA CIEM. Don't get me started on my old Sony XBA-1 - ugh!

If you are waffling between a $200 single BA custom and a $399 triple driver, that last $199 is NOT a case of diminishing returns - that $199 is going to buy lower lows and higher highs - it is going to buy headroom that will allow the music to flow and not sound strained to keep up - even adding the $145 to jump to the Music Two is money well spent - as the doubling of drivers gives you a richness of sound that the single driver has difficulty competing with (IMO) - now all this is not to say the Music One is not a good value, and sounds good - it does. But the Music Two sounds more than $145 better - and the Alcair triple sounds more than $200 better.

If I was limited to the $200, I would probably look into a universal - I have a JVC HA-FX650 I got used for $100 that easily competes with Music One. Granted it is more my style - I like a richness of sound and I like my bass and treble extension - but I think at this price point, a good dynamic driver IEM is better suited to hit the right notes - again, IMO. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the awesome reply Ivabign! Greatly appreciate your advice. 

Through some research I have concluded similarly to what you have said, that there's no way getting around its hardware limitations. With that said, my main concern with the Reference is that multiple reviews are claiming that the inner part of the soundstage is rather unclear? Honestly I don't know what that would sound like, but it bothers me :frowning2:
Instead I've been looking at the CTM-200 and the JH5 for good entry-level, neutral, detailed CIEMs. Would gladly appreciate any input. 

Thanks again!

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 16
Ivabign, a killer description there! It could not have been written better.

About the Reference, I believe it has received a revision post Joker's and Average_Joe's review. I don't think you will be disappointed with any custom at that price. The upgrade option is very cool though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back