custom IEMs: Molds for my Etys or UE10s?
Mar 29, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
So should I spend the $ to get some custom molds done for my ER4P/S or invest in some new IEMs like the UE10s?
My only complaint w/ the Etys is their microphonic quality that bugs me when I move (even walk). I don't know if custom molds will reduce this problem or not.
I'm sure there are some UE10 owners out there who can comment on the differences.
I'd also love to hear from some who've tried custom molds w/ Etys.
CPW

Mar 29, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 14
I get my custom molds for my etys today (tues). I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

rob

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 14
The thing with the ER4-P/S is that the design doesn't help cut down microphonics to an absolute minimum unless you are willing to do some inexpensive mods. What I have learned is that a very thin and braided cable that loops over the ears is best for reducing microphonics to nothing practically. I can't comment on whether custom ear impressions will improve the sound quality or comfort of the ER-4P/S because the driver is not injected right into the ear impression itself. Do some searches on the matter.

Remember that I was in your position: I say you should go with the Ue-10 PRO. I have owned them for over one year and I am deeply satisfied with everything from customer service, technical support (I didn't really need it at all), responsiveness, and comfort along with sound quality.

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robk
I get my custom molds for my etys today (tues). I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

rob

Can't wait to hear from you.
Thx,
CPW
PS what did it end up costing and which material did you opt for?

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 14
I've owned the ety's (I tried custom molds for hure E2's; it resulted in poorer sound quality, so I never tried custom molds for the ety's) and the UE10PRO's--I would STRONGLY recommend going for the UE10's. I was an ety lover (actually still am), but the UE10's are just so much better all around. The bass is amazing, the mids are just right, and the highs (the strength of the ety's) are even clearer, with none of the brightness and harshness you can get with the ety's (especially at higher volumes). If you love the ety's, the UE10's are IMHO the perfect choice for you. They're much, much more than "ety's with bass"--they improve on every aspect of the ety's, and although the sound signature is different, it's close enough that it's an easy adjustment; it's a comfortable fit (I had my ety's for awhile before switching to the UE10's--I tried the UE5C's first, and just couldn't readjust to they're totally different sound signature--way too bass heavy for my tastes. It doesn't look like you're considering the UE5C's, which, coming from ety's, is good. If it's a money issue, I'd definitely go with the earmolds for the ety's, for example, over the UE5C's, but if it's not a money issue, personally I'd recommend going for the UE10's).

As much as I loved my ety's, they're gathering dust now. The UE10's for the very first time have halted my upgraditis--they're so good (for me) I've hit the point where I really don't feel the need for something better. I'll stick with these until they die.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Wow, both you and Welly Wu have claimed the UE10 have caused the stop of upgraditis. It's making the wait for my UE10s even more painful ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
I've owned the ety's (I tried custom molds for hure E2's; it resulted in poorer sound quality, so I never tried custom molds for the ety's) and the UE10PRO's--I would STRONGLY recommend going for the UE10's. I was an ety lover (actually still am), but the UE10's are just so much better all around. The bass is amazing, the mids are just right, and the highs (the strength of the ety's) are even clearer, with none of the brightness and harshness you can get with the ety's (especially at higher volumes). If you love the ety's, the UE10's are IMHO the perfect choice for you. They're much, much more than "ety's with bass"--they improve on every aspect of the ety's, and although the sound signature is different, it's close enough that it's an easy adjustment; it's a comfortable fit (I had my ety's for awhile before switching to the UE10's--I tried the UE5C's first, and just couldn't readjust to they're totally different sound signature--way too bass heavy for my tastes. It doesn't look like you're considering the UE5C's, which, coming from ety's, is good. If it's a money issue, I'd definitely go with the earmolds for the ety's, for example, over the UE5C's, but if it's not a money issue, personally I'd recommend going for the UE10's).

As much as I loved my ety's, they're gathering dust now. The UE10's for the very first time have halted my upgraditis--they're so good (for me) I've hit the point where I really don't feel the need for something better. I'll stick with these until they die.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 14
i saw someone on the bus not too long ago with custom molded ER-4s. they seemed to push the ety tubes even farther away from the ear. i just wouldn't feel comfortable walking around a busy area, or standing on the bus/subway, with something protruding out of my ear like that, with the risk of being bumped into. because you mention microphonics, i assume this is a portable solution, rather than a home one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyverl
Wow, both you and Welly Wu have claimed the UE10 have caused the stop of upgraditis. It's making the wait for my UE10s even more painful ....

tell me about it... hopefully i'll receive mine the end of this week.

cheers,
phil

Mar 29, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
i saw someone on the bus not too long ago with custom molded ER-4s. they seemed to push the ety tubes even farther away from the ear. i just wouldn't feel comfortable walking around a busy area, or standing on the bus/subway, with something protruding out of my ear like that, with the risk of being bumped into. because you mention microphonics, i assume this is a portable solution, rather than a home one?

tell me about it... hopefully i'll receive mine the end of this week.

cheers,
phil

Looking at my Ety 4 custom molds I think you're probably safer with them than with the standard tips; the mold can't physically move further into your ear canal due to the shape, and the Ety tube won't go any further into the mold; the ety might get pulled out of the mold, but even that is probably less harsh that suddenly breaking a solid tri-flange seal.

Mar 29, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRich
Looking at my Ety 4 custom molds I think you're probably safer with them than with the standard tips; the mold can't physically move further into your ear canal due to the shape, and the Ety tube won't go any further into the mold; the ety might get pulled out of the mold, but even that is probably less harsh that suddenly breaking a solid tri-flange seal.

yeah, i thought of that after i posted. having somone bump a tri-flange or foam ety is more problematic in that the outer ear isn't blocking it from being pushed farther. i guess i don't like the ety design for a true portable situation, but wouldn't have an issue on a plane or what not ("transportable" as it seems to be referred when talking about amps).

cheers,
phil

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 14
I just got back from the audiologists office. I have not had much time to listen to them, and probably won't. I woke up with a cold and have a pounding headache.

that said, I thought I would post my initial impressions based on a very short listen. They sound like the etys still. Again, this is a short listen with a headache, so it remains to be seen if this holds up when I can pay better attention.

They seem about the same level of microphonics as with the included ear tips.

I got the silicone with the cats eye pattern. Red and clear for the right, blue and clear for the left. they were $140 including all audiologist charges.

They are VERY comfortable. I have them in right now. I had vinyl musicians plugs a few years back, and the silicone is much more comfy to me.

If I had the extra $600 I owuld have gotten the UE-10s, and in fact still plan too when I finish my PhD. For the next 2 years I think these will do nicely.

rob

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 14
I had the er-4 and recently sidegraded to the UM2 and like I said at the Portland meet, I'm either keeping these forever or going all the way to the top (UE-10, 2X-S). If you have the money you might as well do so, you'll probably do it eventually anyway and then you would be stuck with fairly spendy ety earpieces you won't use.

Mar 29, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 14
A question that I have about the custom ear impressions for the ER-4P/S:

How durable is that kind of connection over the long term with the driver stem sticking out so far?

Can you remove it and use the standard foam or rubber tips at all?

How will it cut down on microphonics at all?

Also, I have saved myself thousands of dollars by not UP-grading to another pair of headphones for more than 1 full year of ownership of the Ue-10 PRO. Yes, I can afford top of the line phones such as the SONY Qualia 010 (though I won't get them because I stick to American owned/manufactured brands; for the overwhelming part) or Grado PS-1 (almost did a sale, but put in my Ue-10 PRO and said to myself that it isn't really necessary), but I decided not to upgrade. No need to.

Instead, I'll be saving up my money just so I can save up my money. 'Nuff said.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi,

Lost my upgraditus also since getting UE's. Hence, not so many posts. Having said that, I still have a need for at least one pair of conventional cans when I am monitoring etc. and need to keep taking them on and off.

Cheers

John

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 14
I used custom molds for Ety 4s and 4p during about 4 years. The drivers stick out and are removable so that the foam or triple-flange eartips can still be tried. For the sound: bass is slightly improved - faster attack and a bit more solid. Handling is more comfortable. But they remain still in another class compared to UE10Pro (which I also own). So in my opinion either use the Ety´s the way they are, or if you can afford them go for UE10 or Sensaphonics2x. I don´t think that spending money for custom molds for Ety´s is worth it. If you keep the Ety´s better change the green filters more often as well as the eartips to keep them sealing perfectly. Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back