Custom IEMs; Minerva Mi-3 or 1964 V3?
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ApplesRevenge

Head-Fier
I hate posting this and adding to the influx of 'help me choose' threads. Sorry folks.

I’ve never really experienced IEMs due to having weird shaped ear canals, where earbuds and similar would constantly fall out or produce a high level of uncomfort. So my previous audio experience has been quite limited using very low end headphones or speakers.
I made the jump last year into the low end audiophille world with a pair of ATH-M50’s, which I absolutely love and opened a whole new world and experience of music for me. I am currently interested in IEMs and custom IEMs would get around my previous discomfort and fit issues.

I’m looking at getting the Minerva Mi-3 (£395) or 1964 V3 (£399), both triple drivers which would be used to listen to a wide range of music styles.

Minerva Mi-3
  1. Silicone based
  2. Fixed cable
  3. From a hearing protection company, more likely a better fit

1964 V3
  1. Acrylic based
  2. Removable cable
  3. More customisable

I’ve done my research on Head-Fi and still need some feedback.

I have read some other posts stating that silicone based customs are far more comfortable than acrylic for long term use (2+ hours), is there much truth to this? If so then it’d make the decision for me.

Generally speaking how do custom IEMs compare to headphones, would I get an improvement from the M50’s?
Should I simply scratch the idea of getting custom IEMs?

Minerva don’t have much of a presence on Head-Fi, while 1964 is quite popular. Is this a sign? 
eek.gif

I have read Jokers enormous IEM posts, which are a great resource.

TLDR: I’m looking for a pair of custom IEMs.

Any help will be appreciated.

-AR.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 4
I've read that thread, which is helping me sway towards the Mi-3, as getting silicone 1964s are more expensive and I'd also have to pay for my own audiologist mould, while Minerva includes it in their fee. Then again there isn't much of a presence of Minerva on-line to really make a solid case to go for them.
Currently I'm not wanting to break the bank for my first set of serious IEMs, which is what I would end up doing with 1964 Ears.

Companies state that custom IEMs will need to be remoulded every ~3 years, I wonder if a Mi-3 cable would last 2+ years, before upgrading...

Thanks for the input. I'll keep doing some research over the next few days before pulling the trigger.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi

Minerva have discontinued the mi3 and replaced it with the minerva pro which is a dual ba iem if that helps.

Sent a pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back