Custom IEMs (i.e. Livewires) and exercise?
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ohji

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking here reading about custom IEMs here for some time, and I am finally preparing to pull the trigger. One thing that is bothering me is that some users have reported that the seal between their ears and the IEM is broken with jaw movement or walking. One of the primary reasons I want custom IEMs is to be able run with them on the treadmill. I have been very unsatisifed with the ear buds I've been using, as I am constantly having to adjust them during my run.

Does anyone have any experience with a custom IEM and running/exercising? I'm really concerned more with fit and not as much about sweat (I have very short hair, so no sweat really drips in or onto my ear). Also, any specific tips for when I have the impressions made? The general consensus seems to be that open-mouth impressions with a bite guard provide a better seal, so I was going to ask for that technique. I was also thinking that I might place some foam earplugs in my ear for 10 minutes or so prior to the impressions to make sure everything was nice and open.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 7
The search function is wonderful. There is a thread about this that is still currently going.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The search function is wonderful. There is a thread about this that is still currently going.

The "insert link" function is arguably just as useful.

I actually performed a search, and I didn't find the specific answers I was looking for. I searched for the terms "running" and "exercise" and while I did not review each of the 1000 + results, I looked through several threads. The bulk of the discussion revolved around issues with sweating and its effect on the monitor or cable and many warnings to avoid the use of IEMs while running outside due to environmental isolation. I specifically addressed that these were not my concerns as I would be running indoors on a treadmill, and I don't have a problem with sweat in my ear.

I did, however, repeat my search with the term "treadmill" to ensure I wasn't completely overlooking a recent thread, and I did find a helpful thread from 15 months ago that I had not previously found:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wor...ight=treadmill

Despite all that, the specific questions I had weren't addressed. I'm hoping someone can comment on:

1. Can the seal between monitor and ear that seems to be so essential for accurate bass performance be effectively maintained during movement/activity like running?

2. Would exercise/running perhaps require a different technique for having impressions made to ensure a tight seal/fit?

I may have overlooked a thread with this info, and if so, I would appreciate the inclusion of a link. Opinions from those who use their IEMs in the setting of exercise are also most welcome.

Thanks again.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "insert link" function is arguably just as useful.

I actually performed a search, and I didn't find the specific answers I was looking for. I searched for the terms "running" and "exercise" and while I did not review each of the 1000 + results, I looked through several threads. The bulk of the discussion revolved around issues with sweating and its effect on the monitor or cable and many warnings to avoid the use of IEMs while running outside due to environmental isolation. I specifically addressed that these were not my concerns as I would be running indoors on a treadmill, and I don't have a problem with sweat in my ear.

I did, however, repeat my search with the term "treadmill" to ensure I wasn't completely overlooking a recent thread, and I did find a helpful thread from 15 months ago that I had not previously found:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wor...ight=treadmill

Despite all that, the specific questions I had weren't addressed. I'm hoping someone can comment on:

1. Can the seal between monitor and ear that seems to be so essential for accurate bass performance be effectively maintained during movement/activity like running?

2. Would exercise/running perhaps require a different technique for having impressions made to ensure a tight seal/fit?

I may have overlooked a thread with this info, and if so, I would appreciate the inclusion of a link. Opinions from those who use their IEMs in the setting of exercise are also most welcome.

Thanks again.

Don't worry... use google to search.. it's better.

I haven't had custom IEMs but going by my experience with normal IEMs, I would say it wouldn't work out. Due to how far they're inserted in your ears (at least, I assume that's the reason), every time you take a footstep you can hear the vibration. Plug your ears with your fingers and then walk around a bit. You'll see what I'm talking about. I would rather use KSC35s

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 7
My Etymotic ER4S and Sure SE530's do not come loose or lose seal when I run or workout. I prefer the SE530s and my shuffle because with the minimum cord of the SE530's and the shuffle clipped to a collar, there's no cord in the way and no unit bouncing on my belt.

Customs probably have a greater risk of losing seal because they do not rely on expansion for fit but shape and as you've pointed out our ear canals are not of consistent shape. Why go custom when IEM's can sound as good?

As for worrying about traffic or whatever and not being able to hear what's around you, it really depends on where & how you're running and what level of risk you're comfortable with. These days society in general is pretty risk averse, and it's easy to catch the fever.

Personally, I'm amazed when I see someone wearing the trademark white apple buds. I can't get them to stay in for more than 30 seconds.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry... use google to search.. it's better.

I haven't had custom IEMs but going by my experience with normal IEMs, I would say it wouldn't work out. Due to how far they're inserted in your ears (at least, I assume that's the reason), every time you take a footstep you can hear the vibration. Plug your ears with your fingers and then walk around a bit. You'll see what I'm talking about. I would rather use KSC35s

Yeah, I have actually noticed that. I currently run with some el cheapo Radio Shack noise isolating IEMs, and while I do hear the footfalls, it doesn't really bother me that much. I wonder if the custom IEMs are better or worse in this regard when compared to regular IEMs...

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by swduncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Etymotic ER4S and Sure SE530's do not come loose or lose seal when I run or workout. I prefer the SE530s and my shuffle because with the minimum cord of the SE530's and the shuffle clipped to a collar, there's no cord in the way and no unit bouncing on my belt.

Customs probably have a greater risk of losing seal because they do not rely on expansion for fit but shape and as you've pointed out our ear canals are not of consistent shape. Why go custom when IEM's can sound as good?

As for worrying about traffic or whatever and not being able to hear what's around you, it really depends on where & how you're running and what level of risk you're comfortable with. These days society in general is pretty risk averse, and it's easy to catch the fever.

Personally, I'm amazed when I see someone wearing the trademark white apple buds. I can't get them to stay in for more than 30 seconds.

I initially tried the apple buds and immediately decided to never use them again.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have since been using a very cheap Radio Shack IEM and it slowly but consistantly slips out of my ear over the course of the run. I usually have to push them back into my ear every 5 minutes or so to reestablish the seal and get the bass back. I was hoping that something custom molded to my ear might provide a better fit and eliminate this problem. Of course, my Radio Shack IEMs are nothing compared to your ER4S or SE530s, so maybe I just need to get a better IEM. I'm just tired of having to constantly fiddle with my headphones whenever I run. Maybe I'll just start running with my HD600s!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back