Custom IEMs for Teenagers
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

masamune9210

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums as a poster, but a long time lurker, I was wondering whether or not I should get custom IEMs or not. I know as a 16 yr old, my ears are still growing, but I crave amazing sound quality and isolation, as I commute a lot, and am an audio enthusiast. I would appreciate it if someone could give me insigh on whether I should get customs or stick with universal IEMs for now.

The genres of music I listen to are:
Classical (95% of the time)
Rock (5% of the time)

current options for customs are:
FreQ Show MM crossover
Livewires
Sleek Customs

current options for universals are
UE Triple fi 10
Sleek SA 6
Ety ER 4P (just because everybody says they're awesome for classical)

Recommendations are welcome, and thanks in advance for the insight.

Andrew

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Customs might not fit properly in as little time as a year/year and a half. Hows about universals like TF10's with custom tips? Still some resale potential and the tips won't cost a fortune.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 14
Hey after going to the audiologist he said I shouldn't get and I should hold off until I'm 16 or 17. You should go see an audiologist and see what they say. If they say that you're ears are developed enough then get the customs.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 14
Like J.D.N said, if you can't wait to get customs, you could always get the TF10 or ER4P and get custom tips for them.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 14
You should ask the mods to change your forum handle... it is doing all sorts of nasty stuff to the page layout.

Edit: Where do these kids get so much money...

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should ask the mods to change your forum handle... it is doing all sorts of nasty stuff to the page layout.

Edit: Where do these kids get so much money...

Dunno, Baines was so poor Livewires took pity on him and sent him a free set to show off to his friends.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno, Baines was so poor Livewires took pity on him and sent him a free set to show off to his friends.
tongue.gif

For real?
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 14
I am still considering Livewires as a custom option, but leaning more toward FreQ now, especially since they charge so little to re-fit them. And I like how they use plug connectors similar to the UE customs.

OP, you should consider the FreQ because they offer re-fitting service, and I believe they only charge $50 for the service.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 14
I know this is a bit late, but I got my UE-5c's when I was sixteen, and I'm eighteen now. The right ear is slightly different then it was two years back, but they still work great and it's not a serious problem. I'm thinking about sending it back to UE to have it refitted, which shouldn't be an issue, but considering it's been two years, they work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back