custom iems are so overpriced yet so popular?
Sep 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Fungus

1000+ Head-Fier
An universal with identical internal components to a custom should provide near identical sound if both have a perfect fit. 

So I don't believe a duo driver custom will sound better than a trip/quad driver universal when both have a good seal. 

And customs can't be shared with others and have no resell value. 

I don't understand the popularity when they're so overpriced and don't perform much better 

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 41
I'm fairly sure something designed for your ears is going to seal + fit better than something designed for "generic" use.

There are universal iem's close to the same price of customs, so I'd personally take a custom fit + more comfort + over resell value etc.
(I think some companies also offer re-fitting, so if u were to sell them whoever bought them could get new moulds with the same internals for a discount maybe?)

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 41
I believe IEM companies don't charge their product base on the SQ/comfort/fit etc, those are the values they provided to their customers.

One key factor that companies charge their products would be the cost they put to produce the product. One key difference of CIEM and UIEM is that CIEM need to be manufactured manually, i.e. there is a dedicated person to make the CIEM for you, this makes the labor cost of CIEM much higher than UIEM, and thus the higher price than UIEM.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 41
  An universal with identical internal components to a custom should provide near identical sound if both have a perfect fit. 

So I don't believe a duo driver custom will sound better than a trip/quad driver universal when both have a good seal. 

I don't understand the popularity when they're so overpriced and don't perform much better 

Spoken like someone who's never tried CIEMs. 
beerchug.gif

I joke, but seriously, there's a lot of advantages in terms of comfort and ergonomics when you get used to customs. Universals may be "universal", but many people have ears that don't work with certain shells, especially the weird shaped ones as you move up the price spectrum.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 41
  Spoken like someone who's never tried CIEMs. 
beerchug.gif

I joke, but seriously, there's a lot of advantages in terms of comfort and ergonomics when you get used to customs. Universals may be "universal", but many people have ears that don't work with certain shells, especially the weird shaped ones as you move up the price spectrum.

That's what custom sleeves are for 
normal_smile .gif

Best of both world 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 41
I just got my UERMs last year on a 20% discount...no regrets.  Granted, they're expensive, but the fit is worth the price.  The seal is pretty good that I used them over the Bose QC15 on the plane.  I got bunch of UIEMs that I can't get a good fit and it felt like I'm wasting money (and none was anywhere close to the price of the UERMs).    

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 41
  I just got my UERMs last year on a 20% discount...no regrets.  Granted, they're expensive, but the fit is worth the price.

Ditto that.  Got mine a few weeks back and loving them.  I've been through my share of other customs and many universals. Adding up all that has been spent to this point, my UERMs is a bargain compared to the total price I've spent getting there.

Here's a simple concept to accept, "anything custom" in this world is going to seem overpriced - especially when it's made for one specific individual. As far as I know, the craft of making custom in-ear monitors is still hand made with many steps to make the final product. Who knows, with the prices of 3D printers and modeling coming down and its use with ciem applications, the price between universals and customs may not be so spread apart.

I will add to those wanting to explore the custom in-ear monitor route is to not make a decision based solely on reviews and hype. The UERM has been a out for a while now and in the past, it has always intrigued me every now and then.  It wasn't until years later and in recent months was I able to hear the universal at a meet to seal the deal on my purchase.

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 41

Ditto that.  Got mine a few weeks back and loving them.  I've been through my share of other customs and many universals. Adding up all that has been spent to this point, my UERMs is a bargain compared to the total price I've spent getting there.

Here's a simple concept to accept, "anything custom" in this world is going to seem overpriced - especially when it's made for one specific individual. As far as I know, the craft of making custom in-ear monitors is still hand made with many steps to make the final product. Who knows, with the prices of 3D printers and modeling coming down and its use with ciem applications, the price between universals and customs may not be so spread apart.

I will add to those wanting to explore the custom in-ear monitor route is to not make a decision based solely on reviews and hype. The UERM has been a out for a while now and in the past, it has always intrigued me every now and then.  It wasn't until years later and in recent months was I able to hear the universal at a meet to seal the deal on my purchase.

But the only "custom" part is getting the impressions made at an audiologist which really only takes a few minutes. 
All the audio company has to do is fit the internals in the shells and TATA, that'd be $1200 thanks!! 
confused_face.gif

So if you think about it, manufacturing universal and custom for audio company is the same as producing universals cos all that's involved is replacing the universal shells with custom shells (all done by machines)?
The space that stores the internals within the shell is the same shape and size, it's just the external shape that varies in shapes. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 41
  But the only "custom" part is getting the impressions made at an audiologist which really only takes a few minutes. 
All the audio company has to do is fit the internals in the shells and TATA, that'd be $1200 thanks!! 
confused_face.gif

So if you think about it, manufacturing universal and custom for audio company is the same as producing universals cos all that's involved is replacing the universal shells with custom shells (all done by machines)?
The space that stores the internals within the shell is the same shape and size, it's just the external shape that varies in shapes. 

Not all CIEM's are $1200, there's a company in Europe that makes them for 150GPB starting price. (250 usd)

At the end of the day you have to realize that any product custom made + custom tailored to you will always cost more.

Take clothes for instance, a medium shirt + medium pants may fit you fine, but having a custom tailored shirt + pants may fit even better. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 41
Sounds like you need to experience customs for yourself to really make a determination if customs are for you, and are indeed overpriced.  Good luck.  As with my UERM = money well spent despite the inherent cons.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 41

> custom
> overpriced

??

They're CUSTOM.

The essential implication is that they cannot be mass manufactured.

That's not overpriced. CIEM's cannot be manufactured and moved as efficiently as Universal IEMs.

ALTHOUGH. I'm surprised someone didn't mass manufacture a molding kit, or a diy ciem. Probably because it'd still be too hard for us to get it set up and tuned to perfection. Its crazy impressive and intricate once you get into it. Look it up on youtube, there's videos of the manufacturing/assembly process.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 41
So have you heard a top-tier custom?

Because it sounds like you haven't and then everything you say is meaningless. 

By its very nature the value of customs can only be judged by their owners. If it's so popular, clearly there's a substantial market for which the product is not considered overpriced. There is a premium attached to knowing that the IEM is moulded to fit you and you only, in addition to whatever engineering and testing was done behind the implementation. There's always universals if you are not willing to accept this premium, but it's pretty silly to ask why others do. It's obviously because they think it's worth the extra dollars. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 41
Ok guys, I'm going to take a huge gamble and buy the JH Audio jh5 pro that's on special for $399 Aud.

Can somebody please talk me out of buying it. 

I already own a pair of um3x which are the best iem I've owned/heard, had it for over 4 years and love it to bits but will have to let it go if I get the jh5s.  

I also remember reading a review describing the JH5 pro as being harsh sounding. Is this true? 

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 41
If customs are so much more why does a reasonably priced company, like 1964ears charge $25 less for their universals? I understand customs, in theory should cost more, but I'd go out on a ledge that most companies are charging more because, like in any other business, they can. If 1964ears can do it for cheaper, so could other companies.

That being said, I don't own any customs myself yet, but do plan on adding at least 1 set because I need to know the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back