Custom IEMs and ear canal growth
Aug 26, 2009 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

majurglery

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently become interested in custom IEMs for their various practical uses (comfort, small, no need for amp, etc), but i am concerned with ear canal growth and change. The problem lies in the fact that i am 16 years old, and i figure i will continue to grow for a while. My question is, do ear canals grow and change like the rest of the body or am i ok to pick up some customs without having to worry about my ears changing shape and me having to get new customs. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for the replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently become interested in custom IEMs for their various practical uses (comfort, small, no need for amp, etc), but i am concerned with ear canal growth and change. The problem lies in the fact that i am 16 years old, and i figure i will continue to grow for a while. My question is, do ear canals grow and change like the rest of the body or am i ok to pick up some customs without having to worry about my ears changing shape and me having to get new customs. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for the replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Ear Canals never stop growing, our nose and ears are the only organs that don't stop growing...EVER. 16 according to my audiologist and Brittany Harvey from JH Audio is the time where you Ear canal settles in, and slows down in growth. So technically, no one is ever going to stay with one pair of customs for ever without ever re-shelling them. You're safe to get Customs, but you will need to get re-shelling for the monitor in a couple years.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ear Canals never stop growing, our nose and ears are the only organs that don't stop growing...EVER. 16 according to my audiologist and Brittany Harvey from JH Audio is the time where you Ear canal settles in, and slows down in growth. So technically, no one is ever going to stay with one pair of customs for ever without ever re-shelling them. You're safe to get Customs, but you will need to get re-shelling for the monitor in a couple years.

Wow thanks for the info and reassurance
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thanks for the info and reassurance
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem was panicking myself when i got customs...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back