custom IEM
Jan 7, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xone13

Head-Fier
I have a question to Head fi'ers with custom IEM. I spent the last 4 days browsing the forum and narrowed my choice to the JH13 pro or a closed can like the denon d7000 for isolation and sound. My concern with the JH13 is how long is the mold good for? I've read somewhere that the ears never stop growing and thus the seal from a mold only lasts so long. Is this true? and if so how often is this required?

Thanks for any insights.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Usually about 2 years. Sometimes longer, sometimes sooner. You can have them re-fit when they dont fit your ears like they are supposed to. It does not cost that much to get them re-fit. Its only a once in a couple years thing anyways.
There is a big difference between going the Custom IEM route and Cans. It would be what you would prefer most.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 8
This all depends on your components. I originally was going to just have a portable rig including the UM3X. But I ran across some more money and put myself a nice desktop rig and barely ever use my portable setup (P-51 Mustang and iPod touch with UM3X). Portable will be cheaper in the end BTW. If you are going to get the D7000, you're better off finding a used LA2000 which is a lot better than the DA700 and uses about the same price
smily_headphones1.gif
It's the lawton audio modded Denon D2000 and looks stunning.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 8
2 years?? Maybe if you were in your teens... I'm under the impression that they should last easily 5-10 years before needing any refit.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Your ears may outgrow customs but you can always do refits. Check out the ES3X pics in my sig (to be followed with a 13).

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 8
IMHO, even with high-end dac and amp powering the Denons (D7000 or LA7000), they are not in the same league as the JH13s for any aspects sonically speaking. The only thing that the Denons might have on the JH13s are the size of the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back