Custom IEM that resembles the sound signature of W4?
Apr 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 28
Though I've always liked the Westone 4, I felt that the overall sound quality is too far away from the HD800 that I auditioned.
I've always been a big fan of IEM. I simply refuse to believe that an IEM setup could not stand on par with a full sized setup.

I'm currently living in Malaysia, so getting the UM Miracle is actually easier and less hassle.
But I know that I like the house sound of Westone, so I kind of look forward to the top end model and wonder if they would have the same sound signature.

Other IEMs that I've tried and liked:
1) Westone 3 - This is the first higher end IEM that I've used. I really liked it, which I later got the Westone 4, and boy the improvements are like night and day.
2) UE Triple Fi 10 - I like TF10 for the bright and lively sound.

IEMs that I've tried and disliked:
1) Shure SE530 - I didnt like the sound signature. The overall sound presentation is just too boring for me.
2) FA DBA-02 - I thought that bass was lacking.
3) Sennheiser IE8 - Slightly too dark for me.

Do you think I would benefit more from:

1) upgrading to custom IEM, UM Miracle or Westone ES5 for that matter.
2) upgrading my DAP from a smartphone (HTC Aria) to something like DX100/HM801.

Eventually, I know I would upgrading both of them.
I'd like to hear your opinion on the order of upgrade, and more importantly, which one of the customs would suit me better?

SilverB.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
Though I've always liked the Westone 4, I felt that the overall sound quality is too far away from the HD800 that I auditioned.
I've always been a big fan of IEM. I simply refuse to believe that an IEM setup could not stand on par with a full sized setup.

I'm currently living in Malaysia, so getting the UM Miracle is actually easier and less hassle.
But I know that I like the house sound of Westone, so I kind of look forward to the top end model and wonder if they would have the same sound signature.

Other IEMs that I've tried and liked:
1) Westone 3 - This is the first higher end IEM that I've used. I really liked it, which I later got the Westone 4, and boy the improvements are like night and day.
2) UE Triple Fi 10 - I like TF10 for the bright and lively sound.

IEMs that I've tried and disliked:
1) Shure SE530 - I didnt like the sound signature. The overall sound presentation is just too boring for me.
2) FA DBA-02 - I thought that bass was lacking.
3) Sennheiser IE8 - Slightly too dark for me.

Do you think I would benefit more from:

1) upgrading to custom IEM, UM Miracle or Westone ES5 for that matter.
2) upgrading my DAP from a smartphone (HTC Aria) to something like DX100/HM801.

Eventually, I know I would upgrading both of them.
I'd like to hear your opinion on the order of upgrade, and more importantly, which one of the customs would suit me better?

SilverB.

Well, headphone's soundstage will always be better than IEMs, especially open-backed. (But here's not to say that not all are like that). The miracle and Westone 4 sounds very different. I would recommend the JH16 for a similar sound. The Miracle also sounds a lot like the DBA-02 which you stated you don't like. 

1) upgrading to a custom can improve the sound, but the sound may also sound a lot different from the ones you stated you liked. The DX100 wasn't all that worth the price for me, but you never know, it could be for you. 

The JH16 and UM merlin will probably suit you more for the signature you prefer which is rather "fun" and "musical". There are many people who found the ES5 like that too, so you can look around. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #20 of 28
Did you already purchase it?  If not, heavily consider the Miracle, it mor e heavily mirrors the W4 sound signature while the ES5 has a coloured midrange.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 28
As a Miracle owner, I don't really agree on it mirroring the W4. The W4 has the midrange with pixie dust sparkle that is pretty unique to Westone, so if thats the trait that he'd want, the 'magical' midrange of ES5 will provides a better experience than the more neutral midrange of Miracle, though can't really go wrong with either one as I was once in the same dilemma like TS, considering either ES5 or Miracle.

*Though when comparing to the HD800, none of the 2 will give that sound signature.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
Did you already purchase it?  If not, heavily consider the Miracle, it mor e heavily mirrors the W4 sound signature while the ES5 has a coloured midrange.

No I havent.
I'm trying to contact the local Westone dealer through email, but there is no response yet.
I have a feeling that its not going to be easy :)

Quote:
As a Miracle owner, I don't really agree on it mirroring the W4. The W4 has the midrange with pixie dust sparkle that is pretty unique to Westone, so if thats the trait that he'd want, the 'magical' midrange of ES5 will provides a better experience than the more neutral midrange of Miracle, though can't really go wrong with either one as I was once in the same dilemma like TS, considering either ES5 or Miracle.

*Though when comparing to the HD800, none of the 2 will give that sound signature.

Putting aside the HD800's sound signature - It was the sonic quality that impressed me.
A sound that is so powerful and controlled, I liked the deep and impactful drum beats with the HD800.
Put it this way - the HD800 audition opened up music to a whole new level for me.

And I am now on my quest to hunt for the same sound quality on an IEM-based setup.

May 4, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #25 of 28
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I've been seriously considering about the ES5 and Miracle in the past couple of days.
Based on what I've seen on the reviews alone, I know I would be happy with either one of them.
They are both technically superior and here are the major differences between the two of them:
ES5 - producing richer mids (sweeter vocals)
Miracle - brighter in presentation, wider soundstage

I've finally pulled the trigger on the UM Miracle!
I hope I wont be disappointed :)

SilverB.

May 4, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #26 of 28

SilverB.

I think you'll be quite satisfied.  I don't own the W4, but have spent a considerable amount of time with them.. they're definitely one of my favorite universal IEMs.  The W4's are impressively musical for a 'stage monitor', but the Miracles are on another level as far as musicality, IMO.  Both phones are neutral & natural sounding.. but the Miracle just has a sexy airy, warmth that hugs the entire sound that makes me marvel at it every time I put them on.  Oh, and the Miracle's soundstage is the BUSINESS.  The W4 can't touch it in that respect.

As someone who's listened to/owned both (and loved them).. the Miracles are a very good investment.

May 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I've been seriously considering about the ES5 and Miracle in the past couple of days.
Based on what I've seen on the reviews alone, I know I would be happy with either one of them.
They are both technically superior and here are the major differences between the two of them:
ES5 - producing richer mids (sweeter vocals)
Miracle - brighter in presentation, wider soundstage

SilverB.

The UM Miracle actually sounds like a brighter, clearer and more detailed Westone 4 with more laid-back mids. It could sound a little V-shaped, but that makes it more natural! 

May 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

I think you'll be quite satisfied.  I don't own the W4, but have spent a considerable amount of time with them.. they're definitely one of my favorite universal IEMs.  The W4's are impressively musical for a 'stage monitor', but the Miracles are on another level as far as musicality, IMO.  Both phones are neutral & natural sounding.. but the Miracle just has a sexy airy, warmth that hugs the entire sound that makes me marvel at it every time I put them on.  Oh, and the Miracle's soundstage is the BUSINESS.  The W4 can't touch it in that respect.

As someone who's listened to/owned both (and loved them).. the Miracles are a very good investment.

Wonder what the UM Marvels are for :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back